Author Topic: SWIMMING UP THE HOLE  (Read 845 times)

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
SWIMMING UP THE HOLE
« on: Sep 01, 2021, 08:01 AM »

NOT SURE IF THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DISCUSSED BUT HERE IT GOES ANYWAY,
I HAVE NOTICED SOMETIMES THAT THE MINNOWS SWIM UP AND TANGLE THEMSELVES ONTO THE TIP UP SPOOL.
THIS IS A REAL PAIN IN THE A@#. TO  UNTANGLE THE MESS AND RE HOOK OR HAVING TO PUT ON A NEW LEADER TIME AND TIME AGAIN.
I HAVE TRIED TO ADD A SPLIT SHOT TO THE LINE BUT SOMETIMES THAT DOESN'T WORK OUT.
ANY OTHER CREATIVE IDEAS FOR FELLOW ICEFISHERMEN OR WOMEN OUT THERE!!! TAHNKS

smitty :tipup:

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SWIMMING UP THE HOLE
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2021, 10:06 AM »
Clip some of the tail fin off with scissors... They will still wiggle and attract attention but wont really be able to get far.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2021, 10:38 AM »
Clip some of the tail fin off with scissors... They will still wiggle and attract attention but wont really be able to get far.

X2..some folks also use a jig head as opposed to just a hook ..Seems like there is usually one zippytastic minnow in the group ...pick a less lively one if you can. And yes I agree it is quite the macramé work of art that is accomplished in a short period of time
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2021, 10:14 AM »
This I will try thanks

smitty :tipup:

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2021, 06:53 AM »
never had this problem.  always weight my baits to keep them catchable by the target predators.   most times it splitshot up the leader accordingly.  when i use live gills or chubs it an egg sinker up the leader.  i sure dont want my bait free lined.  that would be the only way i could see this happening.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2021, 11:37 AM »
 I add a small split shot about a foot up the line, even with 6+" shiners it is generally enough to keep them down. There is a guy on the local lake that swears by the no weight method and he catches his share of big fish. I don't know how he doesn't get a mess - every time I try I do !

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2021, 02:25 PM »
I take two steps to help alleviate this - one is using a heavier swivel, the other is keeping the line tight as I lower it (opposed to a free fall).

When using the heavier swivel, when fishing in deeper water or with bait that is inclined to swim circles (smelt) you just want to take care to not let the swivel get too far ahead of the bait.  If the swivel gets too far ahead the bait may just tangle around it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2021, 04:32 PM »
I use a short leader with egg sinker and barrel swivel in over 6ft. any shallower i dont use a sinker just a swivel to connect the leader and fin clip the bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.