Author Topic: Snowshoes  (Read 908 times)

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snowshoes
« on: Aug 30, 2021, 09:39 PM »
Last year I made a couple long drags with 3-6 inches of snow on the ice. Dragging the sled was really a problem as I used a Smitty sled but the actual walking was a bit difficult. I have COPD so need to watch how much I exert myself. Seen someone on tv wearing snowshoes and made me think they might make the walk easier. So would they help? what are the pros and cons?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowshoes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2021, 09:56 PM »
Bought shoes a year back or so, never ended up trying it. The only issue I could think of was drilling holes with them on

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2021, 06:02 AM »
Bought shoes a year back or so, never ended up trying it. The only issue I could think of was drilling holes with them on

Same story here but more like 5-6 seasons ago ...bought a pair from SG at a deep discount ..never used them ...the bindings almost got upgraded last season to a slip on/off rubber style ..but took a pass.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-magnesium-snowshoes-with-bindings-new?a=771260
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2021, 07:31 AM »
I have a couple different sets I wear at times while trapping.  I think you'll find wearing a set of snowshoes more of a hinder than a help in that 3"-6" depth of snow over ice - I find a good set of cleats works better.  Once that snow gets around 12" deep the snowshoes will start to help but it's still a workout.  If you decide on getting a pair I would suggest a set with the neoprene webs and crampons on the bottom to help your traction on the ice as well as areas of hardpack snow and look for a type with a higher front tip versus a flat shoe.  Also, don't ever wear them on questionably thin ice - particularly if there is any current such as a river or stream.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2021, 02:47 PM »
I use snowshoes quite a bit. Sometimes I fish all day in them. They do make it easier, but still harder than walking. Back country skis are easier-you shuffle your feet instead of picking them up every step. Better have a plan for when you get there, because I don’t think you could fish in them.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2021, 07:12 AM »
I use snow shoes and they help in deeper snow. Last year I replaced my Sorel Caribou boots with Baffin Impacts. Baffin too big to fit in snow shoe straps.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2021, 08:00 AM »
I see all kinds of snowshoes at garage sales,always thought about getting a pair but the way you have to walk in them my bad knee and hip keeps me from buying a set.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2021, 05:45 PM »
I would stay away from the old ash and rawhide shoes you see at garage sales- get a modern pair if you are serious. I use MSR EVO snowshoes with the add on tails for powder snow, without tails for slush.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2021, 05:57 PM »
I would stay away from the old ash and rawhide shoes you see at garage sales- get a modern pair if you are serious. I use MSR EVO snowshoes with the add on tails for powder snow, without tails for slush.
lol no im talking nice modern ones with built in cleats.i would never buy old wood and rawhide ones.maybe to hang above a fireplace.

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2021, 07:44 PM »
I only wear the wood and raw hide shoes and they get a new coat of spar varnish once a year. I only wear them when I get at least a foot of snow and I do not wear them ice fishing. I am 67 and find I can still jog in snow shoes. You don't pick your feet up, you only raise the tips enough for one shoe to clear the other and let that tails drag. They are awesome exercise and something to do when the weather is -10 or colder.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2021, 06:48 AM »
always the diy option too.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com