Author Topic: Let's see your DIY sonar shuttles  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Let's see your DIY sonar shuttles
« on: Aug 28, 2021, 04:06 PM »
Looking for ideas for home made rather than store bought. I've found a few pictures here and there of some but I'd like to see more from the clever guys here on Ice Shanty. 
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Let's see your DIY sonar shuttles
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2021, 04:57 PM »
I think it matters what size fish finder you have. 
I'm using the Flambeau fish backpack below and put my Humminbird Helix 7 in it.  The Helix is in a shuttle and I clip my Marcum recon camera to it when fishing.  I have both items on top each other for easy viewing.  I built a small table out a cutting board, used small plywood legs.  It's all collapsible and protected in the soft side back when coming in from fishing.  The bag also has side storage and storage in the lid for license and map....I could try to post a pic soon if you like.
There is a thread somewhere here with pics already also....

Flambeau Outdoors R50BK-1 "IKE" Ritual 50 Backpack,Regular https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QK9P6X/ref=cm_sw_r_apanp_zRUSFthSxAZJh

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2021, 06:09 PM »
This is my old bucket Bird.  It worked well enough and everything fit inside for safe transport.   

My honest advice to you is to try and find at least the soft bag part of a portable setup to buy and cobble up the guts.  I got one on sale from Glenns for like 10 bucks.  If thats not an option then KISS and make a wood knockoff of the Genz box base.  One piece for the base, mount head unit on one half, battery on other. Then another piece of wood perpendicilar in the middle with a hand hole cut out near the top for carrying, wrap excess cord around the vertical piece.

I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2021, 06:24 PM »
Frame size for a HB 9 or 10 (they're the same frame, I think). Thinking the vertical board with a cutout for the hand at the top for carrying is probably the way I'll go but still interested in seeing what others have done. That size unit will obviously not fit in a bucket but my wife is handy with sewing and stuff so may sweet talk here in to some sort of soft covering to keep the elements mostly out and off of the display and battery area. I like the idea of enclosed for weather protection but more for keeping the cold from seeping in to the battery and shortening the run time by any significant amount.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2021, 08:07 PM »
The soft cover won't help with the cold but you'll probably freeze up before the battery anyways. It's more to keep things dry and protected when packed in the sled.  If you wanna pimp it out a little bit add a small marine panel off amazon or just get a car cigarette lighter socket at an autoparts store and then you've got a charging port for phones and such.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2021, 04:07 PM »
Thanks for the great pics, Jbird. Nicely done and a tidy package.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2021, 08:43 PM »
Very nice! Is this your doing or something you came across? I like that you can easily disconnect it from the main unit.

I just came up with it on my own. Can you believe that.  Hahaha
jbird68

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2021, 04:38 AM »

As simple as it gets

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2021, 06:56 AM »

As simple as it gets
Simplicity at it's best!

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2021, 10:26 AM »

I've used a couple different coolers over the last few years. This is my newest version from last season. I have a telescoping transducer mount, but if the ice is less than 14" I just go with a PVC T-mount.

It fits securely in a milkcrate that I mount inside my flip-over.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2021, 07:48 PM »
I've used a couple different coolers over the last few years. This is my newest version from last season. I have a telescoping transducer mount, but if the ice is less than 14" I just go with a PVC T-mount.

It fits securely in a milkcrate that I mount inside my flip-over.

Mark, do you transport it with the screen on top or pack it in the cooler?  Do you have any pictures if you transport it in the cooler?

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2021, 01:01 PM »
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Yes, I found that one as well. Lots of ideas there for sure. Thanks for posting that.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2021, 07:53 AM »
I don't have a pic, but i built mine out of a plastic ammo can. I lined the bottom with thick insulating foam, then cut another layer of foam to hold my battery and FF in place. I use the fish finder mount from my kayak by attaching the base to the top of the box, then I can quick connect/disconnect the mount/unit from the base and store it inside the box.

It works, but a store bought shuttle that i can just flip open and use looks a alot more convenient. The ammo box takes up a lot of room in my little 1 man flip over.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2021, 09:39 AM »
Found something to put the Helix 5 on. Used a bracket I made a while back for the kayak. If you're ever wondering the thread type for the helix mount, it's 10-24. I'm hoping this won't be tippy on the ice and snow. If it is i think i'll make a wider base for it. With the lead acid battery it is plenty bottom heavy.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2021, 02:48 PM »
This is what I built for a Striker 4 that my kids can use. Spent about $17 on the battery adapter and added a piece of a cutting board that I used for a previous project.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2021, 07:54 AM »
Where did you get the adapter for the rigid battery?

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2021, 04:46 PM »
Where did you get the adapter for the rigid battery?

Terrafirma Technology, I have a few of them and like them a lot. I linked their store below, but they also sell on ebay.

https://terrafirmatechnology.com/shop/ols/products/1x-battery-adapter-for-rigid-18v-hyper-li-ion-battery-dock-power-connector

Just in case anyone wonders, the Striker 4 and Striker Plus 4 are rated for 12-20vdc.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/strikerplus/EN-US/GUID-D1D8C086-D126-436D-ACD8-EC2B13E03B31.html

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2021, 11:50 PM »
Bought a second Garmin Striker 4 for $60 buck including battery. Wiring was buchered, so I cleaned it up.
$60 for the Garmin, $10 for the ammo box, $10 for the Command Broom holder. Had everything else. The pvc pipe rests in a kayak paddle taco holder while on the go.The broom holder on the side let's you change the depth of the transducer based on the thickness of the ice. No wire to get tangled with.
$80 total!

Now, just need some ice!!

It is what it is....

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2021, 04:24 PM »
Thanks for the posts and ideas, guys.
I ended up with the vertical board with a hand cutout as the carrying handle. I bent up a tray, roughly 10 x 10 x 5" deep from 1/16" aluminum sheet (the shuttle itself is quite light until you add the battery and head unit) to contain the 30 AH battery behind the vertical board and allow me to capture an ice transducer easily in the front of the tray, under the head unit (if I want an auxiliary). Mounted 4 rubber feet under the tray to keep it up off the ice and hopefully keep it from ever freezing down. I needed the width for the Helix 9 unit so it's got a pretty good sized footprint. I wanted easy access to putting the battery in and out and hooking up the cable tray to the back of the Helix so the handle is a bit on the taller side, about 18" or so.  This is going to be for a Mega 360 unit and the cabling will attach to the top of the handle with Velcro ties and loop around a bit to quick connects for the power to both the unit and the M360. It is not a hole hopping setup, rather a "park it here for a while" type setup. I have a Helix 7 for hole hopping once I find some fish. I still have to make a transporting adapter or cradle for the 360 unit itself and attach it to my sled for traveling. The shuttle should fit with a bit of re-arranging in the sled itself.
I'm pleased with it's function and handling; that H9 is pretty heavy and the big battery balances that out nicely in the back. Once assembled, it's surprisingly clean in appearance and quite easy to move around, shuttle in one hand, 360 shaft in the other.
Now I just need some ice to put it to work. I made a quick adapter to try it out in open water from my boat and it works great.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2021, 08:20 PM »
Muggsy, can you post a pic/pics?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2021, 04:25 PM »
This is what I built for a Striker 4 that my kids can use. Spent about $17 on the battery adapter and added a piece of a cutting board that I used for a previous project.

Just a heads up; Many Garmins are made to run on a much wider voltage than most sounders (some as high as 24V). I run my Echomap on the 18-volt Rigid battery with no step-down, lasts all day and then some. I use the stepdown on my camera...

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2021, 04:31 PM »
We'll see if this works.......

Looks like it does, I'll try a different angle. In this one, you can see the wiring that stays with the shuttle while the cabling for the 360 can be removed for easier storage between trips. The cables will come in from the right side up high and get captured against the top bar by the 2 Velcro straps in the hand cutout and kind of circles down the left leg of the upright and hooks in to the quick connects. They are set up so they can't be confused and can only hook up one way.

This side shows the 30 amp hour Amped Outdoors battery, also captured with Velcro straps and the on/off switch for the Mega 360 pod. The floor of the tray and the back wall have a thin, dense foam glued in for cushioning and abrasion resistance. Lots of clearance under the cross bar for access to the cable hookups using the cable tray for the Helix 9. I used the cable tray so I didn't have to fuss with individual wires every time I wanted to separate them, simply clip in the 2 snaps and go. The upright is 3/4" plywood, which is heavier than might be needed but it's what I had on hand for this first version. I didn't want a thin handle for grasping purposes, felt the thicker bar in hand would feel better.

This link is the look I was going for, with a home-made shuttle rather than the HB purchased shuttle. Near the end of the video, he is carrying it around some; my cable length is perhaps 5' versus his 8' or whatever he said his measured.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2021, 08:21 AM »
lmao that thing is as big as my auger.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2021, 12:03 PM »
That one in the picture is long for sure. I got the model for the Ultrex trolling motor; 39" overall or so. Much shorter than the one shown. Made a "V" block mount along the side of my sled with the pod tucked in to a short piece of 6" PVC with a padded end. I think it will work out nicely if we get some ice.

Offline XxKegstandxX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2022, 05:01 PM »
Looking for ideas for home made rather than store bought. I've found a few pictures here and there of some but I'd like to see more from the clever guys here on Ice Shanty.

Hi there. Recently became interested in designing and selling 3d printed shuttles but im in no way familiar with the ice fishing side, just the design/3d print side. Looking for someone to bounce ideas off and get feedback.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2022, 05:47 PM »
I'm probably not the guy to help since I'm quite new to the sport and limited in knowledge as to what works well or not. Mine works for me, don't know that it would work for anyone else. I'm not a real creative guy on stuff like this.
I'm sure others might offer some helpful insight, though. Might start a fresh thread with specific questions to get the ball rolling. Good luck with your endeavor! Looking forward to seeing what you might come up with, too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.