Author Topic: Looking for new ice suit  (Read 6022 times)

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for new ice suit
« on: Aug 26, 2021, 08:25 AM »
I am looking for a new ice suit. I've had a Clam Rise Float ice suit the last 3 seasons and it worked good. Only complaint was maybe the quality of certain parts of the suit. Mainly the velcro and thread on the leg covers inside the bib legs at the bottom of the bibs. The Clams were a 2XL (I was 6'-3" & 265). Well I have lost 40-50lbs and I would like to get a better fitting suit. I could just go get a smaller sized Clam Rise suit again but thought I would get opinions on other brands. I am from SE Nebraska so the lowest insulation suit (100-130gram) would be fine I think. I would like to make trips up north but would only be 1-2 times a season. I have searched old topics in the forum but only saw one recent one from last season Jan '21. I seen a lot of older topics say Striker Predator which would be comparable to the Clam Rise suit. I looked into the Strikemaster suits after seeing them on In-Depth Outdoors last year. I've seen and read about Frabill ones. I'm just looking for something with good quality and will keep me warm on the ice. Please give me your thoughts and opinions on Clam, Striker, Strikemaster and whatever else. I'm 6'-3" and 220 now. I wear L-XL shirts and 34x34 jeans. Would think about buying before trying but would like to hear from someone that is the same size as me. Thanks!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking for new ice suit
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2021, 08:31 AM »
I'm going to throw a curveball and say check out norfin. Had the opportunity to try them out last year and I loved them. They are supposed to be coming out with some new styles this season. Anything rugged enough for those finlanders is good enough for me!
Da Pack!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2021, 08:42 AM »
Not impressed with the longevity/durability of my striker suit. Hasn't completely fallen apart yet so no idea on how it compares to other brands.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2021, 08:52 AM »
Striker fan boy here ..I found that sizing is very similar to the Clam suits .. Looks for suits with at least 100g of insulation ...adjustable inseams ..dont forget Ice Runner...Eskimo as they have float/non float options. For the price getting a float suit is comparable to a non float suit ...piece of mind ...pricesless. I have the SI Climate and the Predator Sets...Climate is too hot for my area most days ...the Predator is my go to. My buddy has the Hardwater set up and neither of us have had any complaints . Just make sur that who ever you purchase from has a liberal return/exchange policy.

Striker Ice now has a store front on Amazon .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2021, 09:13 AM »
Im also not a fan of strikers stitching.frays and starts to unravel on every suit i have.check out ice runner suits they are very affordable for a float suit.i have one and a couple other buds been wearing them with no complaints.not as warm as a striker hardwater suit but thats good because the hardwater is too warm imo.the ice runner suit is form fitting and  not bulky too.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2021, 09:17 AM »
I had a similar situation last season, the year (several years actually) before I was in an XL at 5'10" and 225-230lb. I lost some weight over a few months during the spring so at 185lb I shopped for and bought a size L suit. I also wear 34 or 35 size jeans, so I'd think you at 220lbs would be right at a size L, but then again if you run cold and like to layer a lot (I don't), an XL would be a little more roomy. 

I'm in Iowa, so like you, don't really need the heaviest as far as insulation goes. I personally have an Ascent suit now, but only because I got such a deal on it, the Rise would have been fine for me. My last suit was one of the older Eskimos, from when Striker was making them, so I have experience with those.

I would agree the Striker Predator is going to be pretty equivalent to the Rise. You could go lower with the Trekker, I see a lot of those locally, would just have to have some decent base layers if you get that yearly -20 cold snap for a week like we do here.

If it were me, and this is just based on the suits I've owned, those of buddies, and with the research I did shopping last season around this time, this would be my short list, and all of these would be float suits (not in order):

Eskimo Legend (100g) - new last season, a little more $$
Eskimo Roughneck ("sherpa" insulated, guessing less than 100g equivalent) this one looks good for the $$, not the warmest
Norfin Element (unkown insulation - would guess 80-100g) - these look good, good prices too
Clam Rise (100g) - been restyled a few times, not for the better - my opinion
Windrider suit (150g) - pretty good price on this
Striker Predator (100g) - see lots of these on the ice, a little more $$$
Ice runner (100g) - budget option

As far as quality goes, I haven't had any problems, and don't know anyone who has had any problems with any of their suits. The one advantage my ice armor has over the striker I had previous, is that segmented insulation in the clam makes it really easy to move around in. I walk a lot, up and down embankments, through the woods, fish on my knees, so I do give these suits a pretty good workout, have not had any issues with wear and tear on either. If I had to narrow that list down I think it would be between the Predator and Eskimo Legend, and at that point I think I'd just watch prices and look for the best deal. I really don't think any of them would be a bad choice.

Don't know anything about the Strikemasters, or the new suits coming out from Huk or Nordic Legend

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Nice to see people finally jumping off the striker bandwagon. Kudos to them for opening the market up for ice suits, but far, far better options are available now.
Da Pack!

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2021, 10:49 AM »
I had a similar situation last season, the year (several years actually) before I was in an XL at 5'10" and 225-230lb. I lost some weight over a few months during the spring so at 185lb I shopped for and bought a size L suit. I also wear 34 or 35 size jeans, so I'd think you at 220lbs would be right at a size L, but then again if you run cold and like to layer a lot (I don't), an XL would be a little more roomy. 

I'm in Iowa, so like you, don't really need the heaviest as far as insulation goes. I personally have an Ascent suit now, but only because I got such a deal on it, the Rise would have been fine for me. My last suit was one of the older Eskimos, from when Striker was making them, so I have experience with those.

I would agree the Striker Predator is going to be pretty equivalent to the Rise. You could go lower with the Trekker, I see a lot of those locally, would just have to have some decent base layers if you get that yearly -20 cold snap for a week like we do here.

If it were me, and this is just based on the suits I've owned, those of buddies, and with the research I did shopping last season around this time, this would be my short list, and all of these would be float suits (not in order):

Eskimo Legend (100g) - new last season, a little more $$
Eskimo Roughneck ("sherpa" insulated, guessing less than 100g equivalent) this one looks good for the $$, not the warmest
Norfin Element (unkown insulation - would guess 80-100g) - these look good, good prices too
Clam Rise (100g) - been restyled a few times, not for the better - my opinion
Windrider suit (150g) - pretty good price on this
Striker Predator (100g) - see lots of these on the ice, a little more $$$
Ice runner (100g) - budget option

As far as quality goes, I haven't had any problems, and don't know anyone who has had any problems with any of their suits. The one advantage my ice armor has over the striker I had previous, is that segmented insulation in the clam makes it really easy to move around in. I walk a lot, up and down embankments, through the woods, fish on my knees, so I do give these suits a pretty good workout, have not had any issues with wear and tear on either. If I had to narrow that list down I think it would be between the Predator and Eskimo Legend, and at that point I think I'd just watch prices and look for the best deal. I really don't think any of them would be a bad choice.

Don't know anything about the Strikemasters, or the new suits coming out from Huk or Nordic Legend

Eskimo Legend looks like good quality and fits the bill for insulation. Windrider BOREAS float suit has my interest for the price and overall ratings/reviews. I don't need to be a certain brand. I just want good quality and function. Would not go wrong with the Striker Predator but have heard issues with quality. Strikemaster Surface suit seems like it might be ok but haven't seen much for reviews.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2021, 12:38 PM »
Predator is pretty heavy and hot too. My Trekker bibs are all need. Sitting out at 25 below is not in the cards for me anymore.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2021, 12:39 PM »
 I got first run striker climate , and It is extremely warm and held up with no issue except a split breast pocket zipper , up till 2 years ago I averaged  40 hrs a week for 10-12 weeks , I find my guardian is more than adequate as I haven’t  really seen temps much below -9*
 But not very one handles temps the same

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2021, 01:40 PM »
Im also not a fan of strikers stitching.frays and starts to unravel on every suit i have.check out ice runner suits they are very affordable for a float suit.i have one and a couple other buds been wearing them with no complaints.not as warm as a striker hardwater suit but thats good because the hardwater is too warm imo.the ice runner suit is form fitting and  not bulky too.

I picked up the Icerunner float bibs when they went on a big spring time sale 2 seasons ago... I figured for 50 bucks it was worth rolling the dice, I don't wear them a lot but when I have they have been good... They fit well and are not too hot. I'd buy them again if I needed another pair.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2021, 02:03 PM »
Yep i bought the ice runner suit  on that sale too.think its at 200$ now.which is a reasonable price still.the non floating version is cheap.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2021, 02:52 PM »
Finding a deal right now is hard ...finding a size large seems even harder .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2021, 03:32 PM »
Here is what I wear. Get a couple of sizes too big and add/remove layers based on temp. The bottoms fit right over my Baffin Impacts. Not expensive at Bass Pro.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2021, 04:17 PM »
I wore carhartts and walls suits for years.cant beat the waterproof and windproof of a dedicated ice suit.i dont care about the float feature that much.

Offline WIcrappieguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2021, 04:29 PM »
https://graff-usa.com/

Lightest floating suit on the market, also one of the warmest.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 26, 2021, 06:19 PM »
Woulda, coulda, shoulda gone to the huge Gander sale. All the Top bibs and jackets with none over $125. Who cares about  last year models? Most I’ve seen so far are the same as last year.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2021, 08:04 AM »
Good thread on the Windrider ice suit and mention of the Ice Runner too.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/threads/boreas-floating-ice-fishing-suit-by-windrider.712707/

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Aug 27, 2021, 10:01 AM »
As a new sponsor here, I figured I would jump in on the thread as well. I will start off saying, things have come along ways in the past 15 years and everyone makes a pretty good suit. A few reasons why I think we are a touch better:

1. Lifetime warranty - For most people these suits are a fairly substantial investment, not something you want to have to replace every 3-4 years because a seam rips or a zipper breaks. We back ours up with a lifetime warranty so if those seams do rip for some reason we will repair or replace it. This doesn't cover things like you stain it with fish blood or cut it with a fillet, but we are confident on how we manufacture our items.

2. Attention to the small things - Part of the reason we are comfortable offering the warranty is we pay attention to the smaller details. We use YKK zippers, 3M insulation, double stich in areas etc.

3. Customer Service - We pride ourselves on our customer service, we do free exchanges (we ship you the new item with a return label for the old one so you have less time waiting), free returns and of course are available here to answer questions.

4. We use it ourselves - Check out our Why We Fish series on Youtube of Robert fishing, mainly with his son Isaac.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEVvLNecL2tApc_jy5f-J7g

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Aug 27, 2021, 12:27 PM »
WindRiderGear
    Your Ice suit Looks like a kissing cousin to my Pre Frabil Arctic sport Sno Suit.  My 2009 Sno suit has held up well through pure torture over the years.  My only complaint is that the Sno Suit does not have flotation capabilities.  How does your suit stack up against the sno suit.? I saw some Striker stuff in the store and was not so impressed.   Is your suit water prof like the snosuit? 

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Aug 27, 2021, 12:49 PM »
As a new sponsor here, I figured I would jump in on the thread as well. I will start off saying, things have come along ways in the past 15 years and everyone makes a pretty good suit. A few reasons why I think we are a touch better:

1. Lifetime warranty - For most people these suits are a fairly substantial investment, not something you want to have to replace every 3-4 years because a seam rips or a zipper breaks. We back ours up with a lifetime warranty so if those seams do rip for some reason we will repair or replace it. This doesn't cover things like you stain it with fish blood or cut it with a fillet, but we are confident on how we manufacture our items.

2. Attention to the small things - Part of the reason we are comfortable offering the warranty is we pay attention to the smaller details. We use YKK zippers, 3M insulation, double stich in areas etc.

3. Customer Service - We pride ourselves on our customer service, we do free exchanges (we ship you the new item with a return label for the old one so you have less time waiting), free returns and of course are available here to answer questions.

4. We use it ourselves - Check out our Why We Fish series on Youtube of Robert fishing, mainly with his son Isaac.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEVvLNecL2tApc_jy5f-J7g

WindRider,

I checked out the Boreas ice suit on the website. I didn't see any numbers on your insulation and floatation material. How many grams of insulation (100g?)? How many grams of floatation (150g?)

Either way I am very interested in this suit.

Thanks!

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2021, 06:19 PM »
WindRider,

I checked out the Boreas ice suit on the website. I didn't see any numbers on your insulation and floatation material. How many grams of insulation (100g?)? How many grams of floatation (150g?)

Either way I am very interested in this suit.

Thanks!

Manning, thanks for your question. Yes 150g of flotation and 120g of insulation.

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Aug 27, 2021, 06:20 PM »
WindRiderGear
    Your Ice suit Looks like a kissing cousin to my Pre Frabil Arctic sport Sno Suit.  My 2009 Sno suit has held up well through pure torture over the years.  My only complaint is that the Sno Suit does not have flotation capabilities.  How does your suit stack up against the sno suit.? I saw some Striker stuff in the store and was not so impressed.   Is your suit water prof like the snosuit? 

KrazyKaiser, unfortunately I can't answer that as I have not see the Sno Suit in person.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Aug 28, 2021, 09:02 AM »
I’ve owned quit a few different suits over the years, I am a fan of striker as I have the Preditor suit as well as the hardwater suit. I like both suits a lot, the 600denier of the Hardwater is nice, but sometimes 2 warm for my region. I also own a clam Accent suit which is just ok, I don’t believe it’s made  as well made as the other suits. I’m also not a big fan of this removable liner as the legs are wide open. I think a zipper would help out a lot. I also own aWindrider suit but have not worn it yet. Initially it seems like it is made well and very comfortable. I do definitely believe it is a quality suit with a very good warranty. They do seem to run a little small, I ordered a large and was torn as it was a little tight. I all them and they gladly sent me an XL suit so I could decide. I ended up keeping XL (5’11-215Lbs). So anA+ for customer service. I do also own a Frabill FXE snosuit as mentioned above. They are no longer made and in my opinion possibly the best suit ever made, only downfall is non- floating. I would also consider looking at Eskimo suit as they are also well made and have a variety of options in there suits. There customer satisfaction is also very good. The problem at least of me is that in my region (PA) we don’t have many places to actually try on different suits. They all have there own fit. Just my 2 cents.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Aug 28, 2021, 10:33 AM »
Thats my problem with my icerunner suit.i wear 3x in all my suits with room but the 3x in the Icerunner bibs are too tight and cant zip them up all the way.coat fits fine tho.see they came out with 4x is probably the size i need.stuff made in china runs real small!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Aug 28, 2021, 11:21 AM »
Thats my problem with my icerunner suit.i wear 3x in all my suits with room but the 3x in the Icerunner bibs are too tight and cant zip them up all the way.coat fits fine tho.see they came out with 4x is probably the size i need.stuff made in china runs real small!!

When I first got my 2009 Blue Clam suit it fit fine for me..size large ..friends were interested in getting a dedicated ice suit ..at that time the Sportsmans Guide had a very comparable suit at good pricingmy  ..they used my Clam suit for comparison and ordered accordingly ...when  buddy received his SG jacket ..in size large I tried it on .. it was a lil tight across the back and shoulders ..

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 28, 2021, 01:03 PM »
Bought a windrider suit last year and have had the Predator suit from Stryker before, the daughter is wearing that suit now. But love my windrider suit so far did not get to use it much last year but held up nice and kept me warm and dry. Just was looking the suit over and need to ask them a question because I found a tear on the suit and just want to fix it before it gets worse but like the suit and the price and the personal note that came with it, plus made right here in the US which I like a bunch. Here is the tear and as you can see the suit is nice.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Aug 28, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Bought a windrider suit last year and have had the Predator suit from Stryker before, the daughter is wearing that suit now. But love my windrider suit so far did not get to use it much last year but held up nice and kept me warm and dry. Just was looking the suit over and need to ask them a question because I found a tear on the suit and just want to fix it before it gets worse but like the suit and the price and the personal note that came with it, plus made right here in the US which I like a bunch. Here is the tear and as you can see the suit is nice.

You think the Windrider is pretty good then? How was the fit for you? What’s ur height/weight vs the size you picked?

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Aug 28, 2021, 04:45 PM »
Manning, thanks for your question. Yes 150g of flotation and 120g of insulation.

WindRider I sent you a personal message.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Aug 29, 2021, 06:08 AM »
I am about 6 foot and around 200 lbs and I bought a medium if I remember right, the legs are adjustable for height so you can get them adjusted nicely and they stay up, but I just leave my boots in the pants and slide it all on at once. The coat fits nicely and does not slide around. When I was ordering the suit I waited to long and Amazon did not have it in stock anymore so called the company and they checked had one in stock and sold it to me right then. Was impressed with how it all went. The only thing was I had enough Amazon credit to get the suit so just used that to pay the bill so it all worked out great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.