Author Topic: Otter Vortex Lodge vs Clam X400  (Read 3134 times)

Offline thegreywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter Vortex Lodge vs Clam X400
« on: Aug 24, 2021, 03:39 PM »
So I am interested in getting an ice fishing hub as a way to create a micro-climate indoors during winter emergencies as well as SHTF scenarios.

I looked for insulated tents but there doesn"t seem to be any real options which led me to finding ice fishing hubs lol

I've narrowed it down to either the Otter Vortex Lodge Hub or the Clam X400 - both have an 8x8 foot print

I really like how clam has thermal floors that you can add to the hubs

However, their laser welded seams seem to let light in as well as letting air/heat escape

I'd like to keep it as sealed as possible, keeping as much heat inside and this seems like something that would fight against what I was trying to accomplish.

The only benefit I can see to going with Clam over the Otter is the Clam may help reduce condensation inside the hub compared to a completely sealed hub like the Otter Lodge?

Regardless which one I choose i will want to get clams insulated floor

it would be nice if i ended up with the clam so that the floor velcros the seams closed

Thoughts?

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Otter Vortex Lodge vs Clam X400
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2021, 05:14 PM »
I think either one would be fine as they are both decent options. I believe this years Otter Vortex Lodge has had the full door option added so the footprint obviously would not fit on that Clam floor anyway so you might want to keep that in mind. Alot of people just get interlocking foam mats and use that for an insulated floor on the hubs that do not have the floors manufactured for them. Again, both great hubs as I've fished out of both (I own the Otter). But it's up to you to decide what you want for your intended usage as it doesn't sound like you will be using it for icefishing.

Offline thegreywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2021, 06:28 PM »
My main concern is how much heat will escape through all the micro-holes on the Clam compared to the fully sealed wrap of the Otter

And if condensation is a bigger issues in Otters because of it

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2021, 07:33 AM »
I do several overnight trips in my Otter hub each ice season and haven't had any issues with condensation. On a sunny day you don't even need a heater regardless of temps.
Da Pack!

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2021, 07:58 AM »
I don't know that the Clam floor would offer much insulation for what you are doing setting up on a floor. Would think some type of closed cell foam, either a mat or the interlocking squares like mentioned might be better. Even a rug or roll of carpet I'd think would do a better job, assuming you are setting this up indoors. If you really wanted to seal it up, you could add something to weigh down the skirt, a length of chain or tube of sand, something like that.

I'd add Eskimo hubs to your list, they are up there in quality with the Otters and Clams. Also, and I'm not sure what models are available from Clam this year in hubs, but they do have some hubs with "stealth material", the ones that are black in color. Those will not have any stitching or heat welds in the material.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2021, 09:26 AM »
Get an arctic oven.  If you can afford that is.  The oven is far superior to any ice shack on  the market and is specifically designed for arctic conditions.  If having an insulated floor is a big deal just line the ground with spruce bows. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2021, 11:13 AM »
My main concern is how much heat will escape through all the micro-holes on the Clam compared to the fully sealed wrap of the Otter

And if condensation is a bigger issues in Otters because of it

What is gonna happen with those pinhole welds is that first, condensation will form on it.  Then after the condensation frosts up, it will seal it, if temps are freezing.  Again the issue is that if the temps are warm enough to evaporate the condensation, it's a heat loss on those pinhole welds.

A good insulation usually prevents condensation as since that requires a temperature difference and the water vapors in the air.  Huge difference in lack of condensation with the full seal.  Now if the windows would just have some kind of double pane with sealed insulation...now that would be a real game changer.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline thegreywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2021, 02:16 PM »
While those Artic Ovens are really sweet, they are out of my current budget.

But after slipperbob's input, it seems the Otter would be the best fit for my needs.

I'll also probably just go with some 1" foam mats for the floor then.  I see that 1" 72sqft is only $100.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Where do I find Otter hubs in stock?  Their website seems to be out of stock.

Is this normal for this time of year, or is this a pandemic affected issue?

Anyone know when the lodge hub would be available any where?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2021, 02:37 PM »

Not in stock but pre order

https://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/ice-fishing/otter-vortex-hub-pre-season-sale

Very popular hub/company

Most our out of stock and/or backorderable ..Check with Sportsmans Guide
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline thegreywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2021, 03:16 PM »
It seems Clam and I think Eskimos are mostly out of stock every where too.

Must be pandemic?

Franks doesn't seem to have the lodge available on their website, but Sportsman Guide does.  I can get it for $413 + $10 Sportsman's Guide membership and also spread the payments out over 4 months, which seems to be the best deal all the way around.

I would think there would be more stock available during the "off" season then during the main fishing season itself.

But either way it looks as if I have nailed down a source to get this pre-ordered.

Thanks!

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2021, 03:22 PM »
It seems Clam and I think Eskimos are mostly out of stock every where too.

Must be pandemic?

Franks doesn't seem to have the lodge available on their website, but Sportsman Guide does.  I can get it for $413 + $10 Sportsman's Guide membership and also spread the payments out over 4 months, which seems to be the best deal all the way around.

I would think there would be more stock available during the "off" season then during the main fishing season itself.

But either way it looks as if I have nailed down a source to get this pre-ordered.

Thanks!

Ice fishing specific gear is pretty seasonal. They'll normally restock around early/mid October, and most of the better sellers will be sold out towards end of February.

Covid didn't seem to make a huge difference other than there was more demand, seemed to be more people ice fishing, or trying it last season. With the hub shelters, a lot of eateries were forced to have seating outside, and a lot of them bought hubs to use on cooler/windy days, so hubs were even harder to find last season.

Offline thegreywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2021, 03:57 PM »
Ok great info, thanks!

Were the hubs hard to come by at the beginning of the season last year because of restaurants were buying them up?

Just not sure if I should worry about backordering it today or wait until later in october when they seem to be schedule for availability

I can take advantage of their membership for 3 months for $9.99 and buy this in 4 payments.  But the membership would start now and they don't actually charge for the order until it ships.

And I don't want to wait too long in case these get cleared off the shelf early this year.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2021, 09:01 PM »
Most stuff won’t even show up online until October. Local stores are usually the places that run out of stuff first and due to the seasonal nature they order and stock what they get and once it’s gone it’s gone. Most stuff goes on clearance by the end of January and then you hit February where stuff gets hard to find. Last year I sold a one man shappell for the same price I bought it for 3 years before. Got a little crazy for a bit.

Offline thegreywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Aug 25, 2021, 10:23 PM »
Ok great info, thank you!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2021, 06:22 AM »
Otter Hubs usually hold to MSRP most of the season ...there are deals to be had from time to time . Most Hubs ship for free . So if you could hold off do so . Also Eskimo has yet to show its wares for the 2020/2021...maybe a gem in its offerings.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2021, 09:44 AM »

But after slipperbob's input, it seems the Otter would be the best fit for my needs.

I'll also probably just go with some 1" foam mats for the floor then.  I see that 1" 72sqft is only $100.

Thanks for the info everyone!

If you can hold off on purchasing one, you might be able to wait it out and get a discount on last years Otter Vortex Lodge. I remember seeing the previous years (2019-2020) version on sale during the end of season sales during spring of last year and all of a sudden they were out of stock everywhere. Then around October I believe I started to see them popping up again on certain online ice fishing gear outlets. I was just about to order the 2020-2021 Vortex lodge and I found a sweet $100 off deal on the 2019-2020 version at Scheels. So I think being that since the Vortex lodge has had a bit of a redesign with the full door added, you will probably start to see some discounts on last years model if there is any stock left over anywhere sometime soon.

CORRECTION: the Otter Vortex Lodge and the Otter Vortex Pro Lodge(full door) are both listed on the Otter Outdoors website. So it doesn't look like the Otter Vortex Lodge is being discontinued as I originally thought.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.