Author Topic: Shappell Bay Runner  (Read 6914 times)

Offline Mac47

• IceShanty Rookie
Shappell Bay Runner
« on: Aug 16, 2021, 09:17 PM »
Well sad sad News for future Shappell Bay Runner owners.
As of last season the Bay Runner has been discontinued. 😢
One of the best one-man ice shanties that was on the market in my opinion. Light, Fast Setup, Zero teardown for Hole Hopping, Easy to Pull, Spacious and Warm and Super Confrontable with the right modifications made. Sad to see Eagle Claw stop production of them. It started out with two brothers making these right here in Michigan just down the road from where I live. Mine is one of the first of three ever made. Sad to see it will no longer be made. Guess nothing lasts forever though....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Shappell Bay Runner
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2021, 05:25 AM »
Can't understand EagleClaw. Last time I looked at the site it was a disgrace. I have owned a VW Jetta TDI for over 15 years 422k miles on it and was thinking of getting another one. Well VW doesn't even make a diesel anymore. I guess because if maintained they will last forever. Very disappointed in VW and Eagleclaw. Eagleclaw has been in Denver forever.
<===Lefty===

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2021, 06:06 AM »
That's too bad. I eyeballed a BayRunner pretty hard a few seasons ago when I was looking for a new fish house. It was just about perfect for my needs, but I ended up going with a DX3000 instead for the sole reason I could squeeze it into my car. I would have had to  trailer the BayRunner, and I hate towing a trailer in the winter.

I'm glad I bought the DX when I did though, because it seems like everyone has went to making pop ups and flips exclusively, neither of which I particularly care for. Glad I bought a few spare parts when I did, because I bet the DX has already gotten or will get the axe soon, too.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2021, 06:28 AM »
Just got on the site and was able to put the bay Runner II in my cart. $159.99
<===Lefty===

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2021, 06:32 AM »
Just got on the site and was able to put the bay Runner II in my cart. $159.99
That's a steal! They were like $250-300 back when I was looking at one. They must be clearing out what's left of the inventory.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2021, 06:43 AM »
That's a steal! They were like $250-300 back when I was looking at one. They must be clearing out what's left of the inventory.

OOPs, I guess that is just a replacement for the tent.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2021, 06:48 AM »
After going through the site a little better I found that they are not selling any Shappell tents. Only the replacements and not for all of them.  Looks like Eagle claw only wants to sell sleds and again not all of the ones Shappell had. Why would any body buy out another company just to shut down the production of their products?
<===Lefty===

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2021, 07:01 AM »
My guess it they're having supply issues like everyone else, since most of thier stuff is imports from Asia, so they chopped the slower selling shelters. The market for hard floors isn't that strong anymore now that the popular fishing style is hopping around punching holes like a woodpecker on crack.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2021, 08:39 AM »
This is the 2021 catalog ...not sure it referencing for sale items for  the 20/21 season or the 21/22  season...either way its void of the Bay Runner ...very niche item ...so sad

https://www.eagleclaw.com/pub/media/about/product-catalogs/2021_Eagle_Claw_Ice_Catalog-web.pdf

This is the only "new" item in the Eagle Claw2022 catalog from Shappell

https://www.eagleclaw.com/new-products?brand=1028
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2021, 09:28 AM »
Yep, no DX anymore either, just pop ups. Makes me extra glad I bought those spare parts a couple seasons ago. I saw that coming a mile away, even back when I bought it. Shappell were pretty much the last ones making a mass produced floored portable, so I figured it wouldn't be long before they were obsolete.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2021, 09:39 AM »
Yep, no DX anymore either, just pop ups. Makes me extra glad I bought those spare parts a couple seasons ago. I saw that coming a mile away, even back when I bought it. Shappell were pretty much the last ones making a mass produced floored portable, so I figured it wouldn't be long before they were obsolete.

If you were to look around here during ice season, you'd think the DX cabin style was their best seller. I don't know if I have ever seen a Shappell flip over or pop up around here, see a bay runner once or twice a season, but the DX cabins I see nearly every time out.

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2021, 09:57 AM »
If you were to look around here during ice season, you'd think the DX cabin style was their best seller. I don't know if I have ever seen a Shappell flip over or pop up around here, see a bay runner once or twice a season, but the DX cabins I see nearly every time out.

I used to see a ton of Frabill, Clam, and Shappell cabins 15-20 years ago when I was in MN. Down here in IL pretty much all I see anymore is Eskimo, Otter, and Clam pop ups, and the occasional flip. I haven't seen another cabin out on any of the ice I've been on in a few seasons.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2021, 11:40 AM »
Sad news indeed. I have a dx3000 and love it but it's just a little small. I need more room between me and the holes.

Anybody got a Bay Runner 1 for sale?

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2021, 09:51 AM »
Sad news indeed. I have a dx3000 and love it but it's just a little small. I need more room between me and the holes.

Anybody got a Bay Runner 1 for sale?

Lengthwise I am fine with my 3000, but I do wish it was just a hair wider. Overall I love the thing, and it suits my needs almost perfectly, but it is a hassle to use a rod over about 25" with more than one person in there.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2021, 02:58 PM »
Seriously....,Anybody have a Bayrunner 1 for sale?

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2022, 10:31 AM »
Hi everyone, old post but emailed eagle clam in regards to the bay runner and got a reply. Said there working on a new design for the bay runner and should be in production in 3-4 years! I had one for a couple years and wish I would have never sold it!

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2022, 10:43 AM »
I was lucky enough to score one of these last summer. My only complaint is the hole access. I dont like being limited to 2 tiny holes. Wonder if anyone ever came up with a hack on this. Thinking about cutting one big rectangle and putting a board on the bottom like the old suitcase ones.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2022, 08:01 AM »
Found and purchased a replacement tarp for my FX200, was hoping to buy an FX50 this season but the flip shelters are gone too. Just like the market for small trucks and manual transmissions, everything is driven by sales (which I understand) but there isn't much variety anymore. 
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2022, 09:57 AM »
I was lucky enough to score one of these last summer. My only complaint is the hole access. I dont like being limited to 2 tiny holes. Wonder if anyone ever came up with a hack on this. Thinking about cutting one big rectangle and putting a board on the bottom like the old suitcase ones.

I thought they changed that in the Bay runner 2. Thought that had the big door in floor vs 2 small holes but I could be wrong
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2022, 10:11 AM »
Idk maybe they made an older model?

Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2022, 11:33 AM »
Idk maybe they made an older model?

Original and bay runner 2
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2022, 12:38 PM »
I thought they changed that in the Bay runner 2. Thought that had the big door in floor vs 2 small holes but I could be wrong

I'm sure you're right about that. I remember one of the BayRunner models having a solid rectangular hole clear across the sled floor back when I was shopping around for a new fish house.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2022, 01:45 PM »
Bayrunner 2 has the long hole and only one door. Between me and my 2 buddies we have all 3 models. Bayrunner, bayrunner insulated and bayrunner 2.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2022, 04:58 PM »
I have a 3000 that I turned into a 1 man stabbin' cabin that I'll never part with thanks to flex-all & too much thinking time.

An 8.00 hinge & some sheet metal screws = 32" × 40"  shot hole

The shelf is an easy mod & has a heater w/ fan mount for colder days, a 1# l.p. bottle from a hose behind the left fold up door.
The back door is sealed & front uses ball ties to close because Shappell zippers just plain suck.

Insulated the side windows w/ marine grade cloth & some limo tint for checking the view icognito.

Swift Tines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.