Author Topic: Atv  (Read 4279 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Atv
« on: Aug 09, 2021, 06:41 PM »
Recommendations on an ATV to purchase for ice fishing and a little driveway snow removal?  Is the Honda Rancher big enough?

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Atv
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2021, 07:09 PM »
The rancher will do just fine

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2021, 08:05 AM »
new? used? how much do you want to spend?

Catchin' Fish

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2021, 08:12 AM »
My old rancher was unstoppable with chains...wouldn't think twice about using it as an ice rig

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2021, 10:02 AM »
With the cost of used ATV's I'm thinking I might as well buy new.  The two I looked at, with plow/windshield/warmers/etc are between $10,000 and $11,000. 

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2021, 11:03 AM »
I currently own three Hondas (Pioneer 700-4, Foreman 500, and Rancher 420). The Rancher is a great machine. I would definitely recommend getting power steering, especially with the weight of a plow up front. If you are comparing Honda products to other brands, I think most would agree that Hondas are the superior products. A huge issue for me is that Honda products are gear driven rather than belt/CVT drive. Good luck!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2021, 12:31 PM »
Love my Honda ATV's that I have had for several years now.  With the gear drive I like that better than the belt driven ones and you do not have to get the clutch to engage on the belt, have the snowmobiles as well and have driven the Polaris ATV's with the belt drive, so I hate the jump when you get going on the belt drive ones and have had the snow accumulate in the belt drive and bind the belt up, also my uncle had the snow push the belt off his Polaris SxS one day on the mountain, that was a fun time getting it all dug out and ready to drive again, we were elk hunting at the time.  But each his own on what they own and drive I know several that own different ones and they do just fine with them.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2021, 01:21 PM »
On the Honda Foreman, anyone worry about the ground clearance? It seems a little lower than others. I also want an “automatic” transmission, and don’t want to have to manual shift (foot or hand).

Any opinions on how various ATV’s handle the snow out on the lake? I know there are times when a snowmobile is better, but it seems some ATV’s handle deeper snow better than others.

Other consideration, I’m a big guy and typically have another person (son, fishing buddies) with me.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2021, 02:04 PM »
If you are riding two-up, you should be looking at a two-up machine from the factory. Most states have laws that require this for carrying a passenger. I don't think Honda has a two person ATV.

As far as shifting goes, you will have to buy the machine equipped the way you want it. Honda makes an automatic transmission. I personally like the foot shifter on my Foreman.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2021, 06:52 AM »
You might consider a 6-wheeler, BRP and Polaris companies each make these.  I have had 3 Polaris units over the years, two of them were used in my business (a lot of times in awful conditions), you almost could not stick them, they would just go.  The pro's of these are they will go in most conditions, they have a bed to put things in, can handle a lot of weight, have power steering, automatic transmission and have a place for the passenger to sit behind the driver, plus they ride nice.  The cons are that they are probably a foot or so longer than a 4-wheeler and do cost a little more.  I have not had a BRP unit, but would certainly consider one.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2021, 08:26 AM »

If you are riding two-up, you should be looking at a two-up machine from the factory. Most states have laws that require this for carrying a passenger. I don't think Honda has a two person ATV.

As far as shifting goes, you will have to buy the machine equipped the way you want it. Honda makes an automatic transmission. I personally like the foot shifter on my Foreman.

The 500/520 platform gets my vote...

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2021, 08:56 AM »
The 500/520 platform gets my vote...

2nd this, if you are even slightly considering riding 2, just get a sxs especially if buying new. A base side by side is right in that 10-11k range and plows are cheap to add on

Catchin' Fish

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2021, 09:08 AM »
Tell me more about these base side-by-side for $10k to $11l.  I thought they were going to be nearly double that.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2021, 09:29 AM »
Well you won't be getting a SxS like mine for that kind of $$$, but it does have Heat/AC and heated seats as well as a full cab.   ;D

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 11, 2021, 11:19 AM »
New for me this year, Honda 700-4. $14,099 + tax.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #15 on: Aug 11, 2021, 11:49 AM »
If someone offered me a ride in  Polaris Or Arctic Cat, I'd take a taxi.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Aug 11, 2021, 11:50 AM »
If someone offered me a ride in  Polaris Or Arctic Cat, I'd take a taxi.

x2

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2021, 12:45 PM »
honda rancher bulletproof believe it hard to find right now

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2021, 05:20 PM »
I'm dealing on a new sxs. By the I got the options added that I want the price tag hit about $28,000. The holdup now is availability of a hard cab for it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2021, 06:14 PM »
Thoughts on a 2016 suzuki king quad axi 750?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2021, 06:37 PM »
Thoughts on a 2016 suzuki king quad axi 750?
Good Machine and most likely it has Power Steering.
<===Lefty===

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Aug 12, 2021, 08:12 AM »
New for me this year, Honda 700-4. $14,099 + tax.

I've been looking pretty hard at these ones. Does the roll cage over the bed get in the way for hauling gear or a sled?

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Aug 12, 2021, 09:16 AM »
The roll cage has not interfered at all for me. The bed dumps fully and the back doors open (which is nice when accessing the bed from the side!).

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Aug 12, 2021, 09:19 AM »
The back seats aren't very comfy but they work in a pinch. Especially for a smaller person. I'm 5'9" and fit pretty good.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Aug 12, 2021, 10:42 AM »
Well you won't be getting a SxS like mine for that kind of $$$, but it does have Heat/AC and heated seats as well as a full cab.   ;D

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, that's a nice machine. Is that an 8' bed? What kind of payload can you carry? 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Aug 12, 2021, 10:05 PM »
Wow, that's a nice machine. Is that an 8' bed? What kind of payload can you carry?

6' bed and #1,000 capacity.
Also has electric/hydraulic dump.
;D

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 13, 2021, 11:01 AM »
6' bed and #1,000 capacity.
Also has electric/hydraulic dump.
;D

6 foot... bigger than my F150 bed! And about the same capacity! That machine is awesome, I want one of them!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Aug 13, 2021, 11:50 AM »
Probably more expensive than your F-150 too!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 13, 2021, 12:04 PM »
Definitely more than my car, and possibly my house cost... for an atv  :o

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Aug 13, 2021, 12:48 PM »
We are looking for a plain ol midsize polaris ranger 570.not much in stock around here and preorders are out up to 6 months.for the prices of used 10 year old sxs around here id rather just buy brand new.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.