Author Topic: Less than 90 days to 21/22 ice season  (Read 1554 times)

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
Less than 90 days to 21/22 ice season
« on: Aug 05, 2021, 08:34 PM »
Ice season is just around the corner here in Colorado.  I did very little summertime fishing.  Just not as interested anymore but I’m looking forward to hitting it hard on the hard water.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Less than 90 days to 21/22 ice season
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2021, 09:08 PM »
 agreed in saskatchewan.  one more open water trip planned to hammer walleye at the end of september but that will be it for that.  screw the bugs, screw the heat...lets drill holes.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2021, 10:19 AM »
fishslap,
I’m with you! This summer has been a “bust” for me as well. Just can’t seem to get my mojo mojoing!
I’ve already started going over my gear, re-stocking jigs etc., all in anticipation of the first hard water! I don’t know where you fish, but maybe we’ll cross paths sometime.
Good Fishing! Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2021, 10:33 AM »
fishslap,
I’m with you! This summer has been a “bust” for me as well. Just can’t seem to get my mojo mojoing!
I’ve already started going over my gear, re-stocking jigs etc., all in anticipation of the first hard water! I don’t know where you fish, but maybe we’ll cross paths sometime.
Good Fishing! Ski

Haven't done much fishing my self waiting til the fall bite is on for perch sit in the boat all morning and the tree stand all afternoon
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2021, 03:49 PM »
agreed in saskatchewan.  one more open water trip planned to hammer walleye at the end of september but that will be it for that.  screw the bugs, screw the heat...lets drill holes.
The heat has been brutal this summer. I can barely take a day or two off from hauling water for my garden. I bought a angling kayak last year but like i said its just been too hot and if it's not hot, it's too windy for a yak. Definitely looking forward to winter. I just hope the heat doesn't stay around too late come fall time.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2021, 05:29 PM »
The heat has been brutal this summer. I can barely take a day or two off from hauling water for my garden. I bought a angling kayak last year but like i said its just been too hot and if it's not hot, it's too windy for a yak. Definitely looking forward to winter. I just hope the heat doesn't stay around too late come fall time.

I'm hoping by October 1st opening day of bow season here that the temps don't get out of the 40s from that point on.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2021, 05:29 PM »

I'm hoping by October 1st opening day of bow season here that the temps don't get out of the 40s from that point on.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2021, 07:38 AM »
This far south we have another 150-175 days until we are likely to see fishable ice. 😐

Open water fishing has been fairly slow this year, I've been out a lot, but the numbers just haven't been great. The weather has been too erratic for the rivers to settle into a good pattern for long.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2021, 05:55 PM »
We've been Pounding it this summer. I have no desire to go icing yet. when the water finally gets too hard to cast thru, then I'll join you guys on the freekin ice! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2021, 05:59 PM »
We've been Pounding it this summer. I have no desire to go icing yet. when the water finally gets too hard to cast thru, then I'll join you guys on the freekin ice! ;)
+1

Once the firearm deer season ends, then I really get the hardwater itch. Before that, our weather down here is generally mild enough to get some boating afternoons in, anyway.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2021, 08:09 PM »
My open water season has been pretty productive, been spending more time on my float tube scouting new lakes, some of which I hope to try on ice if they freeze up on time. My two best catches of the open water season so far are my new pb common carp at a whopping 41 lbs, and my first ever trip to BC for white sturgeons, we landed a few good ones.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2021, 08:51 PM »
That is a beauty of a carp, I'm jealous ;D  My best carp this year has only been 9.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2021, 10:11 PM »
Impressive Phil.  I’ve seen some of your pics on here and you look like one hell of a multi species fisherman.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2021, 06:13 AM »
Impressive Phil.  I’ve seen some of your pics on here and you look like one hell of a multi species fisherman.

Thanks. I've been at it since the age of 3, so well over 40 years. Ice fishing for over 20 years now too. Bound to hit some good ones every now and then.
You can check out my web site for some more pics at: http://freshwaterphil.com/

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2021, 10:58 AM »
Wow, white sturgeon. Not many people can say they've tangled with one of them.

I've had a pretty good open water season of fishing on the saltwater. Nothing noteworthy at all but had a limit day of black sea bass early season and another limit day of haddock. Been trying for a keep striper but it hasn't happened yet.

I am certainly looking forward to ice fishing though!

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.