Author Topic: Let's talk bubblers/aerators for bait storage.  (Read 6359 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Let's talk bubblers/aerators for bait storage.
« on: Feb 15, 2021, 10:28 PM »
So I've got/use and engle cooler for my bait tank when I head out for a few says on the ice. This last trip....the bubbler took a crap. No biggie....I had a pare one from china I bought for $7 got it out of storage.....rusted stuck.

So I need a new one. The four requirements I have for it.

1. It must have/be able to have a power cord to run it.
2. It must be able to run on batteries
3. It must have a hook/latch to hand it on/off of stuff.
4. Price range must be $25 or under.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Let's talk bubblers/aerators for bait storage.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2021, 10:36 PM »
I have a couple frabills that have been good to me, ones battery or cig lighter power the other is straight battery. They're the "aqua life" version. They come with a clip you can screw onto bait bucket then the aerator slides onto it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2021, 11:09 PM »
I have a couple frabills that have been good to me, ones battery or cig lighter power the other is straight battery. They're the "aqua life" version. They come with a clip you can screw onto bait bucket then the aerator slides onto it.

So I'd like to here about the battery/cig lighter one...how long have you had it...have you used it much?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2021, 11:22 PM »
You are going to hate me.. The clam lithium one is actually pretty nice.

But the aerator you want/need is the 2-way hush bubbles. http://www.marinemetal.com/products/15-3-vt-airpumps/2-way-hush-bubblesr

https://greatlifeoutdoors.com/marine-metal-aerator-pump-portable-bait-minnow-bucket-live-well-battery-powered-b-17
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:21 AM »
So I'd like to here about the battery/cig lighter one...how long have you had it...have you used it much?

I've had that aerator about 8 years. When I bought it I ran it 24 hours for 6 days on a trip. After that it's been a couple times a year for a few hours here and there.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:22 AM »
I used to take fatheads in a drink jug.  At home and off of the 4Runner's 120 v receptacle I'd run a cheap wally world aquarium pump.  Then at the lake, using the same hose and stone, I'd swap over to a battery operated wally world aerator, 2 ea. D cells, Frabil, I think...

Worked well, even in summer...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:42 AM »
I used to take fatheads in a drink jug.  At home and off of the 4Runner's 120 v receptacle I'd run a cheap wally world aquarium pump.  Then at the lake, using the same hose and stone, I'd swap over to a battery operated wally world aerator, 2 ea. D cells, Frabil, I think...

Worked well, even in summer...

I hate to say it....but I was doing a little research after I posted and this is the way I am leaning. When I bought my Engel bait/cooler tank a few years ago, a spare battery pump with an accessory/wall plug ran $10-$20. Now looking around they want $35-$40.....at that price why wouldn't I just by the engle bait tank/cooler with it for $59....

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:19 AM »

I wonder if that bottom piece solidified. I pulled out a Big Bubbles made by Marine Metal Products to try to save some shiners. Not working the stone was hard to the touch so I thought I would try to take it off. It broke but now works great. There alive There alive.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2021, 07:53 AM »
I have the older Engle bait 30 quart and love the system and I would just buy a new set up with the net in it and all since mine did not come with that option that I think is a great way no need for a net to keep getting minnows just lift and grab and drop also aerates the water each time as well.  Have not used the aerator much just add more water when I am out on the lake but I also take a metal minnow bucket insert and drill 3 holes and set that in and cover with sled or storage lid and then just keep a couple of dozen minnows in the bait bucket, works great and have not lost any this way, just dump out water and minnows into insert over small hole to make sure I do not lose any minnows down the hole and then refresh the water in the bait bucket with the insert exchange minnows and move on, do not need to do it as often as I do, once a day, or just dump the water out saving minnows in net and then dip out of fishing hole with coffee cup or other means while minnows are swimming around bait bucket.  I know this does not help you in the aerator area but I am curious and wanted to follow to see, want to set up bait holders at the house and wanted to see what aerators people use, been trying to keep track of all since everyone has some great ideas on the site.  Thanks so much

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2021, 09:05 AM »

But the aerator you want/need is the 2-way hush bubbles. http://www.marinemetal.com/products/15-3-vt-airpumps/2-way-hush-bubblesr

https://greatlifeoutdoors.com/marine-metal-aerator-pump-portable-bait-minnow-bucket-live-well-battery-powered-b-17

Lol...I think I found the clam one with a different color & name on Amazon for $20 shipped. I think I’m going to get a different one thought that only has one air tube coming out of it for $15.99

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2021, 09:35 AM »

Kevin is right. You want the marine metals 2 ways hush bubbles. Us catfish guys know best!! Frabill aerators are junk. I don’t care what anyone says. Even Frabill pro staff will admit it.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2021, 09:38 AM »
I can run the hush bubbles 2 ways aerator with 2 d batteries for 24 hours before they start to slow down and will run for another 24 hours at about half power. And in the boat I can just hook it to the battery.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2021, 09:56 AM »
I have the same requirements and have been very happy with the Frabill Aqua Life Model 14351. Sorry I don't remember what they cost but it comes with the hose, stone, 12V accessory plug and a hanger for the bucket. On Ebay I found a 120V wall adapter that runs it in the garage for $3.95. In the house, in the truck and on the lake with 2 D batteries so it does it all and the one I have has been going now for 3 seasons of near constant running during ice season. I bought a spare as back-up as pictured below but the original one just keeps going strong.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2021, 11:20 AM »
Kevin is right. You want the marine metals 2 ways hush bubbles. Us catfish guys know best!! Frabill aerators are junk. I don’t care what anyone says. Even Frabill pro staff will admit it.

I cant get Frabill to last. They put out a ton of air and are quiet, but they are also very heavy and don't last more than a season.

I hate the engel aerator with a passion. Man that thing is loud and obnoxious!! I bought a hush bubbles 2 way for it and I cant even hear it running. I've had to go look to make sure it is turned on twice now.

We do a lot of cast netting for shiners for walleye and crappie bait, so my aerators get a lot of use throughout the year. You need tons and tons of aeration to keep those things alive in the summer. I think I've went through 3 frabill in 3 years now, and one bubble box but that was because i dropped it in the bucket of water (oops).

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2021, 11:28 AM »

x2 I have it and love it

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2021, 02:22 PM »
I cant get Frabill to last. They put out a ton of air and are quiet, but they are also very heavy and don't last more than a season.

I hate the engel aerator with a passion. Man that thing is loud and obnoxious!! I bought a hush bubbles 2 way for it and I cant even hear it running. I've had to go look to make sure it is turned on twice now.

We do a lot of cast netting for shiners for walleye and crappie bait, so my aerators get a lot of use throughout the year. You need tons and tons of aeration to keep those things alive in the summer. I think I've went through 3 frabill in 3 years now, and one bubble box but that was because i dropped it in the bucket of water (oops).

I can’t find the hush bubble 2 way in any stores. I was going to try and get it since the normal ones with just batters work really well. But can’t find the 2 way.

On the boat I have 2 live wells. One for fish one with a leech tamer and minnow bucket net that sits in the 2nd livewell...just flip a switch to change out the water then.

Offline Dave in Mpls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2021, 12:07 AM »

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:04 AM »
Another vote for the clam lithium.  Rechargeable, plug in to cig lighter, plug into regular outlet, able to run two hoses...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:45 AM »
Marine metals bubblers last 10x longer than the frabill aerators.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:46 PM »
Marine metals bubblers last 10x longer than the frabill aerators.
Kzoo is correct. Marine metals is where it’s at.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:04 PM »
I ordered this very item to replace the hideous Engel.  Hope you don't need it soon....ordered on Feb 8 and hasn't shipped yet....

Yeah...I need it for the next few days so gonna see if any bait shops have it or Walmart.

I’d call Walmart...but I haven’t had much luck with people working at Walmart willing to actually look.....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:12 PM »
Yeah...I need it for the next few days so gonna see if any bait shops have it or Walmart.

I’d call Walmart...but I haven’t had much luck with people working at Walmart willing to actually look.....

You made me spit my beer on my keyboard! But they want $15/ hour for doing the lousy job they really don't want to do to begin with.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:14 PM »

Amazon prime it. Free trial, get your bubbler on thurs and then cancel. Beats going to junkmart
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:17 PM »
You made me spit my beer on my keyboard! But they want $15/ hour for doing the lousy job they really don't want to do to begin with.

Lol..I’ve called to have them check an item is in...had them set it aside...drove to go get it...then there is no item....had them check for an item to tell me they don’t have it....then stop at the store for something else later in the day to find out they have an entire display....So.....yeah ....that’s a Walmart employee.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:22 PM »
Amazon prime it. Free trial, get your bubbler on thurs and then cancel. Beats going to junkmart

My wife has prime. I tried that but with the rolling blackout BS/delayed shipping. I ordered a green blob....suppose to be here the 18th now it might be here the 22nd.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2021, 07:45 AM »
Quick Tip:

as a former aquarium guy. soak your stones for awhile (at least 10-15min) before you turn it on. It helps open the pathways so you get more tiny bubbles. Larger bubbles don't oxygenate the water as fast. You can also soak them in Hydrogen Peroxide every once in awhile, Just make sure to rinse them well and blow through it once or twice before using it on your bait.

Thanks for the great info on aerators!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:04 PM »
Well being the frugal person I am....I ended up just using my baby bubbles and took a few sets of AA batteries to get by. Nobody had the 2 way hush bubbles in stock. I couldn’t choke down paying clam $40 of a $20 aerator they slapped the clam name on.

I ended up just ordering this $15 lithium rechargeable aerator off of Amazon. I will say so far it is impressive. No switch to wear out. Touch the touch button for 2 sec to start. Tap to go to high speed. Can plug into a cig adaptor or wall plug. Had good reviews & if the battery holds up I think it will be top notch.

Even had a clip to clip it on the side.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2021, 05:54 AM »
I've been using that rechargeable aerator for 3 weeks now and am very impressed.  It replaced an original Engel -- the diaphragm tore.

Battery life is good.  It recharges quickly.  Whisper quiet. And it has chugged along when temps are hovering around 0.

That brand also offers a larger version with two outlets

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2021, 06:49 AM »
What brand is that?  I find it interesting that there seems to be so much difference in these things...all they are is a little electric motor, with a tiny nylon arm and cam attched to a flex-type rubber diaphragm. Pretty simple. Take the back off one and look.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.