The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Muskegon Lake  (Read 2639 times)

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Muskegon Lake
« on: Jan 29, 2021, 11:19 AM »
Talked to Bill at Shoreline Bait and Tackle in Lakeside and he said guys were out at the Sand Docks yesterday.
Lake is completely iced over, and some brave souls went out to the deep water.
I am going to fish this afternoon, will try to report if I goto Muskegon.

Offline Shepbc

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Muskegon Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2021, 12:49 PM »
Well we fished today off of 2nd street on the north muskegon side.  The ice was about 3-4 inches thick but it still made noise when you walked on the areas covered with snow.  We fished from about 7:30 am - 11:30 am with 4 tipups and 2 jigging rods, we were in about 18-25 FOW which was about 300 yards off of the parking lot.  We only caught 3 small perch on #3 jigging rap and a stingnose minnow with wax worms.  Never saw a flag on any of our tipups and never saw any other flags around us, it was very slow.  But at least we were able to get out and try.  We drove by Heritage Landing and saw a few guys fishing tipup from their trucks and a lone shanty near the point.  Hopefully the ice will continue to thicken and we give us better access to deeper water and hopefully better fishing.  Best of luck, hope you had better luck than we did.  Stay safe!

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2021, 05:58 PM »
Tried Muskegon
Ended up at Fisherman's Landing
Caught some small perch
Ice was sketchy more than 30 yards from shore on main part of Lake.
Needs a few more days od cold.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2021, 07:03 PM »
Bump! Looking to look for fish out there this weekend. Is the ice any safer? It’s been pretty darn cold, but looks like we’re supposed to get a lot of snow :/
Flag up!

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2021, 10:21 PM »
Talked to a guy who fishes Muskegon a lot as he lives in the west end near the channel.
He was all over Sand Docks and there was 4 inches, but some spots were where there is snow pack and drift it would be only 2 inches.
If you stayed off the snow is was good ice.
Hopefully this blow will clean the ice as it does when it howls to 50 mph.
If you head out be careful where you go.

Offline TFish57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:25 PM »
Zman, you should head north eh.
If you’re not fishin, you’re wishin.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:53 PM »
Tfish looking at my last post reminds me to not drink and post online  ;D

I meant to say looking to fish, not looking to look. Yikes
Flag up!

Offline 1WstMich.Fishermn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahh...Another one....
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2021, 04:54 PM »
Fished Sand docks today,
50ft of water...
5 to 6 inches of ice, bite was spurratic
But I caught fish, Minnows and wiggles.
Stayed in main trail area,  about 40 or so fishing.
Fishing was fairly spread out...
Spud when testing new areas for sure.
 :tipup:
"Is this the same place as Yesterday?"

Offline Shepbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2021, 06:14 PM »
I didn't fish this weekend too cold but I guess I didn't miss much.  I spoke to several die-hards at work that fished off on the tall condo with the boat ramps on the south side of the lake.  They dragged their gear all the way to the center of the lake on both Saturday and Sunday and got a total of 12 keeper perch and 4 smelt in 2 days fishing in 50-60 feet deep.  They said they used everything from small tear drops with spikes to perch pounders with wax worms, minnows and wigglers and it really didn't matter.  They said they also talked to lots of guys on the ice and it seems like quite a few smelt were caught and not a whole lot of keeper perch. Just thought I would live through their experiences and provide a little more info for the guys that fish Muskegon Lake.  Hope this helps   

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2021, 06:56 AM »
Tug boat is going to open the shipping channel Friday morning.
No more going to the middle of the lake!!
  :-\ :'(
Barge and tug Saturday morning
Be careful out there

Offline Shepbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2021, 02:26 PM »
Well we fished off the Sand Docks today in about 50 FOW, from 9:30 am - 1:45 pm and never caught a keeper perch.  We tried minnows and wax worms and never caught a fish on minnows.  May have caught a total of 8-10 perch that ranged in size from 3-6 1/2 inches, 1 shiner and some type of cub.  All the fish we tight to the bottom and real lite bitters.  Spoke with several other guys and no one was going any better.  Not sure where the big white bellies are, they should be here.  But the sun was out in the morning and the wind wasn't bad at all, but when it clouded up and the wind picked up it was time to go.  Saw where the tug and barge went through but we had good ice where we were, there we guys fishing about 25 yards from the open water, must like pressing their luck more than we do!  Oh well it has to improve soon right??     

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:06 PM »
Made it out Sunday off of Cottage Grove
Went past the crowd
Nothing but dinks
All on Hali with spikes
Marked some schools moving thru, but they didn't bite
Not a lot of people out there for a Sunday.
There was still a couple parking spots left in the lot when we went in just before noon.

Offline Shepbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2021, 03:04 PM »
Well we fished today off the end of Webber Road and headed SW toward the channel hoping to find some perch.  We began fishing in 12- 15 FOW and did a lot of moving around.  Must have caught 40-60 perch each, however, only 1 was 7 inches long - all the rest were dinks.  Also most for the fish were small, skinny males and the 7 incher was a female; got to wonder what is going on!  We tried lots of different baits and lures but it didn't matter, they were all dinks.  The ice was good when we went out about 7:30 am but it is starting to get slushy and the shore ice is starting to go when we left around 2:30 pm.  Hoping for some cold nights to keep the lake accessible but we will have to wait and see.  Looks like the east end of the lake is opening up but the middle and the west end should be fine for another 2 weeks (fingers crossed).  The bigger white bellies should be around we just need to find them, but we have been saying that all year.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.