Author Topic: $3 tip down plans  (Read 1649 times)

Offline offshoredrilling

• IceShanty Rookie
$3 tip down plans
« on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:18 AM »
I thought I would share a cheap tip down I made that can be done with zero power tools (of course they make it easier).

The tip down is made out of a single plank from a pallet. I save the nicer condition ones at work that have clean, straight boards for little tinkering projects. Cut the plank into two lengths.You can make these as long or as short as you want depending on the rod you're using. I have it sized where it will keep the rod tip out of the water when the rod is fully pulled down. I used 21" for the base and 16" for the riser.

Next, cut a notch horizontally across the end grain of the  board for the rod to pivot in. A V notch with a hand saw will work as will a round file. I used a 3/8" forstner bit in a drill press to get a nice straight round groove. After that, cut another notch lengthwise into the board to allow clearance for the rod handle when in the up position. Mine is 2.5" deep and cut with a jigsaw. Again, a V notch will work here.

Now for the expensive part: $3 hinge from home depot, screws included. It's a 2.5" wide non-removable pin hinge. You can find these little guys in any hardware store, amazon or the hardware aisle at somewhere like walmart. Screw it into the base first. Attach the riser board  so it allows the hinge to open past 90* and keep itself standing upright.

That's it! Set er' up and pack some snow on the base to make it a bit more stable. Another tip: put a rubber band around the notch the rod handle rests in. You can move it up and down to keep your rod at varying degrees of being "tipped down" to adjust how sensitive it is. You can vary the balance on the rod for whatever bait you're using by adding weight to the rod butt.

A quickie on the rod im using:
24" clam panfish popper rod that broke off the tip. I cut off the rod to the next rod guide and called it good. Also took my fly bobbin and tied on another guide near the handle so i could use an HT little jigger reel. Find the balance point of the rod with the reel attached, drill a hole through the handle at that point and insert an appropriately sized wood dowel or piece of rod. I had some 3/16" stainless lying around so I used that. this is all junk ive got collecting dust. A $9 schooley combo works just great too.

Offline bassandgills1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: $3 tip down plans
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2021, 03:47 PM »
Very nice. Fishing with tip-downs is a lot of fun. good luck.

Offline bassandgills1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: $3 tip down plans
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2021, 05:17 PM »
 hopefully this picture works. This is a picture of mine. I found the original plans somewhere on this site a few years ago but I came up with a different stand for them that folds up. The original was made of PVC.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.