Author Topic: I have a few tip ups, but...  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Timmydann

• IceShanty Rookie
I have a few tip ups, but...
« on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:10 AM »
I have no idea how to set them up, I'll be using them for the big toothy fish, would you guys who use them give some pointers,do you use steel leaders?.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: I have a few tip ups, but...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:18 AM »
I have no idea how to set them up, I'll be using them for the big toothy fish, would you guys who use them give some pointers,do you use steel leaders?.

you can use steel leader if you wish, I do not, I use mono and have never really had any issues.

gonna want a line stop of some sort, button, bobber, some guys tie slip knots or some thing to mark your depth. Gonna need a sounder to find you depth initially.

depending on what you are using for bait, it may be tough to prevent false flags if bait pulls too hard and pops flag. for that, you may need to use thin rubber bands to hold bait but allows them to break if a fish grabs the bait. this also goes along with quick strike rigs if your using large baits. Youtube has a ton of vids on setting tip ups and quick strike rigs.

I am sure others will chime in with more tips for you.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:24 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=30.0   Everything you wanted to know and less. Whole section near the bottom of the home page.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:59 PM »
When I go after pickerel and Pike, I always use steel leaders. I have found that they go after the bait just as good as a strong mono leader. I like the steel because their teeth don't cut it.   I use treble hooks.  I also like to use heavy medium to large shiners. 
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.