Utah > Ice Fishing Utah

Report on Yuba/Advice? 1/10/21

(1/1)

kentan15:
Hi all, new to Utah's Ice fishing scene, although I have done more than my fair share in Idaho where I was raised. I can't seem to find any up-to-date reports on Yuba here so I though I'd offer mine and troll for some free advice.

As the post title suggests I went out on Yuba Sunday 1/10/21, just by the state park. The North side of the jetty by the boat launch had some open water but the south side had tracks on the ice so I opted for that. Edge Ice was thin, but 5 ft onto the Ice it turned into solid Ice at 5-6". That said, it thinned out as I got closer to the jetty and since I was totally alone safety was a bit of a concern for me. I'll be taking a spud bar next time so I don't have to hand-auger so many test holes.

I wound up fishing near the jetty for a couple hours in 16-22 FOW but could not get a bite for the life of me. Saw probably 10-15 marks on the Vexilar at various depths (I can only assume perch on bottom and roaming pike or trout mid water column). Tried Firetiger Rippin Raps, white eyeball spoon, natural perch buckshot spoon, orange/black tungsten, and a tiny pink/white rat finkie all tipped with waxies or spikes to no avail. Active jigging with the Rapala got some attention for about 30 seconds but that's the most action I saw all day.

So... I'm here humbled and asking for tips. My dad and brother are coming into town next weekend and I want to show them some decent fishing. Any other tips for Yuba through the Ice? What normally sees success there? Other fisheries we should check out? I'm based in Provo.

PS. For those wondering why I only spent two hours... I was out alone on a new body of water getting skunked, and it got old very quick so I headed back to Utah lake to catch some cutbait for president's day weekend.  :P

muskyon46:
Welcome to the shanty kentan15, I've only fished yuba once and like you I scoured forums for info on just pike. There a good pike section on the main forum page  and I actually got what worked for me in there. I used a live target golden shiner rap actively jigging constantly. On my 2nd pole 3ft from me i had a dodger and below that a 5in white tube tipped with shiner. They would come in look at or chase after the the rap then they would go over and hit the jig. I jigged into my only 2 pike that trip. One 22in and the other 36in female I cooked up. Very delicious. Read thru this pile section and see what you might find to work or use my tactic.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=39.0

I would really love to get down there this year so let us know how it's going. And for why there's not to many reports is i don't belive many on here fish there at all. Used to be a few that would post here and there but it's been crickets for some time now.

HardH20Fishin:
Welcome to Utah. I can't provide any advice for Yuba since I've never fished there. But since you asked about other options near Provo....it would be worth the drive to hit Scofield. Its not that far from Provo. It has struggled in the past and for a time was pretty overrun with chubs....but the powers that be have really turned it around over the past few years and it's been a pretty hot option this year for rainbows, cutthroat and tiger trout. Personally I prefer to fish out up against the island but you can do well plenty other places on the lake.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version