Author Topic: Favorite High-End Rods?  (Read 21383 times)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Favorite High-End Rods?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 09, 2020, 07:47 AM »
Not really. A Bricker rod is actually a true custom rod. He takes orders, and builds it to your specs. It’s not walk in and buy one from scheels for $200.  There is not any builder to my knowledge that builds like Bricker does

Plenty of fish catching art in a bricker rod  ::) there's dozens of builder that will build to specs. There's even a few that build rods almost as artistic as bricker. Bricker builds beautiful functional art but the artistic side of custom rods does not contribute to performance

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Not really. A Bricker rod is actually a true custom rod. He takes orders, and builds it to your specs. It’s not walk in and buy one from scheels for $200.  There is not any builder to my knowledge that builds like Bricker does

There are numerous builders at or above that level cranking out rods built to customers' specs

Catchin' Fish

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #32 on: Nov 09, 2020, 09:06 AM »
There are numerous builders at or above that level cranking out rods built to customers' spec

This
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 09, 2020, 09:15 AM »
There are numerous builders at or above that level cranking out rods built to customers' specs

x2

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 09, 2020, 02:28 PM »

Not they way he makes rods.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #35 on: Nov 09, 2020, 02:39 PM »
Not they way he makes rods.

I have tried every custom rod from every custom rod maker in the entire world and his rods come in at a hard 5th...but he's getting there.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 09, 2020, 03:46 PM »

I have tried every custom rod from every custom rod maker in the entire world and his rods come in at a hard 5th...but he's getting there.  ;)

lol

Argonomist - I'm familiar with Adam's work, he's not doing anything different than any other top tier builder. To say otherwise is a lie or ignorance. I'd put Chris Stanton up there at the top.

Catchin' Fish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 09, 2020, 07:26 PM »
lol

Argonomist - I'm familiar with Adam's work, he's not doing anything different than any other top tier builder. To say otherwise is a lie or ignorance. I'd put Chris Stanton up there at the top.

Don’t know Chris Stanton. All I can say is from what I have seen Bricker is in a world of his own. I’m sure there are some other decent ones out there. I’ve never seen anyone come close to his micro liner rods/handles. I mean the split grip but that has the rear come off to be a hook remover was the nuts.

I just laugh at the Thorne brothers rods my biggest regret on rod puchases was when I purchased my perch sweetheart from Thorne brothers....I dropped $75 on it years ago and it was no better then a $25 cabelas ice rod.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 10, 2020, 07:23 AM »
Out of curiosity, what is bricker charging for his rods?
Da Pack!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 10, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is bricker charging for his rods?

You’d have to call him. He’s been booked out/sold out last few years. Not sure what he charges now

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 10, 2020, 05:04 PM »
I had a high end "custom" rod, and sold it.  My full set of original Fenwick Elite Tech Ice rods will be with me till my dying day though.  Love every single one of them, and have never found anything that suits my style better than them. 

To me, it isn't a custom rod unless you have the taper designed to your exact specs, for your exact application.  Otherwise, it just has your choice of components on the same blank that a million other people have.  But there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that.  To each their own!!!  I don't spend big money on ice rods, but don't ask me about the cost of my falconry equipment!!  As long as you enjoy it, and it brings you happiness, GET IT!!!  For some, that means rods with platinum reel seats, titanium handles on the reel, actual diamonds on the end of a jig head, or maybe even a rod dipped in real gold.  Whatever it is for you, enjoy it!  Life is to short not too!!
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 10, 2020, 05:18 PM »
Alright guys, pull em out and let's measure them. That's the only way this is getting solved  ;)
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 10, 2020, 05:22 PM »
I had a high end "custom" rod, and sold it.  My full set of original Fenwick Elite Tech Ice rods will be with me till my dying day though.  Love every single one of them, and have never found anything that suits my style better than them. 

To me, it isn't a custom rod unless you have the taper designed to your exact specs, for your exact application.  Otherwise, it just has your choice of components on the same blank that a million other people have.  But there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that.  To each their own!!!  I don't spend big money on ice rods, but don't ask me about the cost of my falconry equipment!!  As long as you enjoy it, and it brings you happiness, GET IT!!!  For some, that means rods with platinum reel seats, titanium handles on the reel, actual diamonds on the end of a jig head, or maybe even a rod dipped in real gold.  Whatever it is for you, enjoy it!  Life is to short not too!!

That's why I've swtiched to Mags. He has his blanks manufactured for him specifically. So they're designed for very specific techniques in mind, depending on the blank. It really does offer a great deal of lure control which I haven't found in other rod manufacturers.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:11 AM »
I'll add this, there are so many blanks available to builders now that you rarely have to customize the taper unless you're getting ultra specific. It is nearing the point of openwater blank selection options

Catchin' Fish

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 03, 2020, 01:53 AM »
Couple noodle rods by DJ Customs, Striket Custom Rods. Still love my 25 yr. old TB Perch Sweetheart.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 03, 2020, 03:56 AM »
I just caught wind of some boompole rods or boom something or other.  I have a buddy up here who said he has seven of them and won’t ever buy another brand of rod.  I’ve never even heard of them.  Said he got them from a guy who makes them in his house and they outperform anything he’s ever used.  Supposed to be expanding before too long, but right now they’re kinda hard to get.

He won’t even share the info with me which is jacked up because we fish together!!  If anyone knows this company/brand, please let me know!!!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:17 PM »
I just caught wind of some boompole rods or boom something or other.  I have a buddy up here who said he has seven of them and won’t ever buy another brand of rod.  I’ve never even heard of them.  Said he got them from a guy who makes them in his house and they outperform anything he’s ever used.  Supposed to be expanding before too long, but right now they’re kinda hard to get.

He won’t even share the info with me which is jacked up because we fish together!!  If anyone knows this company/brand, please let me know!!!

Why would someone be secret about their rod brand, especially a friend? Strange...
Seems like everyone is trying to make their own rods and sell them these days.
Only "boom" rod I've heard of is the northland tackle boom stick lol. 

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:41 PM »
Why would someone be secret about their rod brand, especially a friend? Strange...
Seems like everyone is trying to make their own rods and sell them these days.
Only "boom" rod I've heard of is the northland tackle boom stick lol.

He’s always like that.  I wouldn’t put it past him to be pulling my leg, too.

Offline Sufishticated

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 03, 2020, 09:46 PM »
Got two Ct.Croix rods. Just got this Green Hornet Noodle rod, cant wait to try it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2020, 12:38 PM »
Got two Ct.Croix rods. Just got this Green Hornet Noodle rod, cant wait to try it.

Looks cool

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 02, 2021, 03:17 AM »
Some other great choices

Syde Sticks
Kichler
THC Rods
Sake Fishing
Gaffight Customs

Custom rods do seem to trigger folks... I like to support small biz too.
BTW, who would produce a handmade item taking several hours for less than $100?
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:35 AM »
Don’t know Chris Stanton...

I just laugh at the Thorne brothers rods my biggest regret on rod puchases was when I purchased my perch sweetheart from Thorne brothers....I dropped $75 on it years ago and it was no better then a $25 cabelas ice rod.

"Better" is obviously subjective; sounds like some are fixated more on aesthetics than action.

It should be noted that the Thorne was made in MN by a fellow ice angler, possibly even by Chris Stanton when he just got started making rods.  That $25 cabelas unit sounds like a dreamy rod though..  ;)2

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #52 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:31 AM »
I've been rolling my own for almost 10 years now, decided to take the next step this year.  Got a business partner and started a company.

https://www.fish365rods.com/

You have some nice looking rods!  Hope you do well with your new venture.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #53 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:31 AM »
I've been rolling my own for almost 10 years now, decided to take the next step this year.  Got a business partner and started a company.

https://www.fish365rods.com/

You have some nice looking rods!  Hope you do well with your new venture.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:52 AM »
" _____ makes the best custom rod there is" -Every fisherman with a custom rod.

I see a lot of people liking TUCR, and a lot of people bashing over-priced on the shelf rods....what's the difference? TUCR are sold at Scheels and you're paying for the name brand. For the price you pay for a TUCR I can buy two truly customized ice rods, probably even made with the same blanks. If you don't choose the coloring, the length, the number of guides, the type of guides, the handle style, handle material, how is it customized? Half the fun of buying a custom rod for me is throwing around ideas with the rod builder based on my style of fishing and lure preference.

Don't get me wrong, I have a TUCR PN that I bought when I was in a pinch and it's a super nice rod. But I don't even take it with me most days anymore as it's probably the 4th "best" rod I own now.

Just food for thought, TUCR opened up peoples eyes to 'custom rods' but are no longer custom or even top end IMO.

For the price you pay for two truly custom rods, I can build 4. Where does it end?  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 02, 2021, 07:19 PM »
"Better" is obviously subjective; sounds like some are fixated more on aesthetics than action.

It should be noted that the Thorne was made in MN by a fellow ice angler, possibly even by Chris Stanton when he just got started making rods.  That $25 cabelas unit sounds like a dreamy rod though..  ;)2

Not really.

The Thorne brothers perch sweet heart was just no better then what a $25 mass produced cabelas ice Rod was. I had them side buy side. They were almost Identical except for a little bit of silver in the threads on one and the cabelas had more flair due to a labeled logo ring on the Tennesse handle.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:51 PM »
BTW, who would produce a handmade item taking several hours for less than $100?

Ain't that the truth! Where does a hundred dollars get you nowadays,  not far!?  Bricker lives down the road but I don't own any of his artwork yet.  Was gifted a Gaffight recently, long stand up noodle that I haven't had a chance to use but looks and feels great.  My 2 favorite sticks are stamped HT and most likely were only made for a year or 2 and cost around $10 retail.  After a few decades and hundreds of fish I think I'm about to get my last dollars worth, good thing cuz there hanging on by just a little thread and adhesive!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #57 on: Jan 07, 2021, 04:16 AM »
I don't think anyone would be doing any high end ice rods if Thorne Bros didn't pioneer the wonderful rod blanks that a lot of everyone else copied today.  Simple concepts like the Deadstick and Power Noodle rod.  Still remember all the special technique specific rods that Dave Genz put out.  Oh and them Dave Genz Gold rods, one baitcasting and one spinning version I think.

Anything else was all custom made to specs.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 07, 2021, 05:17 AM »
Not really.

The Thorne brothers perch sweet heart was just no better then what a $25 mass produced cabelas ice Rod was. I had them side buy side. They were almost Identical except for a little bit of silver in the threads on one and the cabelas had more flair due to a labeled logo ring on the Tennesse handle.

Bit of silver, and flair due to logo (both aesthetics related btw) otherwise no better. 

Got it, I'll assume the dreamy Cabelas rod was compeltely identical in action.  Same guides spacing too.   ???  And, made in MN? 

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 09, 2021, 06:03 PM »
Own a few tucr rod that I really like, PN, bullwhip and QT.  Very nice rods. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.