Author Topic: Anyone ever experience  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone ever experience
« on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:17 PM »
Today I was fishing a clam dingle drop with a waxworm on my panfish rod. I ended up getting 3 Northerns on this today. 25-32 inches. Let me tell ya it was rough catching them on 2 lb line with a sensitive rod! Especially with a waxworm I never thought I'd have them hitting my bait.
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone ever experience
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:31 PM »
Atta boy!!!

Fighting fish on light tackle certainly adds an extra element to the experience! I've hooked my fair share of fish that pushed the limits of my tackle, losing far more than I've won. Great to see you were on the winning side!

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2016, 12:37 AM »
I wish, sounds like fun! Im still due to ice a northern on the jigging rod. Ive had em' on and seen it done but haven't landed one myself yet. Took my brother out once, he never fishes and he is as smart as a box of rocks. Hes pulling on the jigging rod saying i think im stuck on something, i looked down the hole and there was at least a 30" pike just sitting under the hole with the tiny jig in his mouth. My dumb brother sees it and freaks out reeling in as fast as he can, the pike broke him off immediately. I tie another jig on for him and on his very next drop he lands a 17" bass. Talk about dumb luck ha. Good luck hope you get a few more
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2016, 01:15 AM »
Great stories guys.     :thumbsup: :clap:

Amazing surprises have occurred after landing and removing very nice keepers from the hook. They'll be taking a ride in my truck, ha.   
The dangling/mangled inch of night crawler will never catch another and needs be completely threaded on the hook.
With a good grip on this fish, I'll just let the line sag back in the hole only a foot deep and lean the rod over the back of the chair while headin' for the cooler over yonder.
Clunk, clunk, clunk the rod base hittin' the ice as the tip is in the hole. HURRY, RUN, ha, this is a family size keeper.
It's a 6' summer rod, which allows 'hole-hoppin' without getting too close and maybe spookin' a nice brown.     ;)2
22 FOW and some are just near the surface.
Try that sometime ~you may be very surprised. But, there are no pike in this impoundment.

Tom

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:41 AM »
Awesome job.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:42 AM »
Pike are funny fish. I also jig for Panfish but set tip-up on the outside edges of the weed beds.Every year I hook a couple of big pike on sizes 12-14 jigs. My PB was a 38 ".fish on 2lb test. I've also noticed that as the pike where up in the water column. Big red mark up high,put the jig in their face and hold on. It's quite a battle on 24" UL. Last year my son and I where in a shanty when my Vex's ice ducer took a dive a huge pike tried to swallow my transducer.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:58 AM »
Awesome job.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2016, 08:08 AM »
All I fish for is panfish thru the ice. Trouble is nobody tells the fish. I imagine fishing in a six acre pond. Catching gill and crappie all day long. Crappie on my minnow rod all 12 inch and up, Gill all sizes from about as big as my waxworm to 11 inch. Had about a dozen keepers of each when my waxworm rod started to slide toward the 7 inch hole. I set the hook and the battle was on. Finally wear fish to frazzle and see right away there will be no fitting this fish thru the hole.

Staring at me laying on its side is a big old ugly flathead catfish. My pinmin with a single waxworm on it has managed to seduce a 30-40 lber?????. I mean why would a fish that size even bother with such a tiny morsel ? Managed to get my pinmin back when I got his head to the hole.

Anyway owner of pond explained to me that he stocked adult flatheads up to about 50lb in his pond. In two short years those flatheads wiped out the decent size panfish in the pond to the point where a 3inch bluegill was all you could hope for. These things ate every fish they could fit down their maws. The only things of decent size left were the channel cats that he had stocked previously.

They totally wrecked the pond to the point . That he hired some trot liners to get them out of pond. He has since re-stocked the pond and it is on its way back. Fished it last year as a test. Crappie and gill are to the point in a couple years they ought to be decent size again.

To this day I will never understand why he jumped on that waxworm. It did give me the most epic battle thru ice in my 69 yrs of life though.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Banoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2016, 08:12 AM »
Had a 30" Pike on the UL with 2lb test once.  Only problem is I use a 4" hole for jiggin pan fish.     Had to let the pike swim around till I could drill a 8" hole next to the 4" and gaff him up through the 8" 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2016, 08:46 AM »
You definitely have some talent to pull that off three times with such light line.  Great job!

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2016, 09:20 AM »
You definitely have some talent to pull that off three times with such light line.  Great job!
Thanks lol took awhile to land em!
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.