The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: mussigbrod lake  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Spey_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
mussigbrod lake
« on: Dec 09, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Just curious if anyone thinks it's possible to get into mussigbrod? I figured with all this warm weather I better be looking to some higher elevation lakes to find ice

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Re: mussigbrod lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2014, 12:02 AM »
Hmmm.......that's a tough one Spey. Typically that area receives quite a bit more snow, but we haven't had a good storm in a few weeks & what is on the ground may have got packed down by hunters traveling in/out of there.  If I was going to take a chance & make a trip over that way, I'd try to get into Pintler Lake first. Same tiny arctic grayling & brook trout, but there is some pretty hefty rainbows as well. I've caught a few over the summers. Both lakes are suppose to hold ling(burbot), but I've never seen one come out of either lake. Keep us posted.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2014, 12:51 AM »
I think Mussigbrod also has lakers

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2014, 02:34 AM »
I think Mussigbrod also has lakers

Never heard that before. I'll have to check the FWP site. I know Twin Lakes between Wisdom & Jackson has lakers tho.

On edit: Here's what I found on FWP site.

MUSSIGBROD LAKE
Game Fish Opportunities: Arctic Grayling, Brook Trout, Burbot
All Species Present: Arctic Grayling, Brook Trout, Burbot, Longnose Sucker, White Sucker

PINTLER LAKE
Game Fish Opportunities: Arctic Grayling, Brook Trout, Burbot, Rainbow Trout
All Species Present: Arctic Grayling, Brook Trout, Burbot, Longnose Sucker, Rainbow Trout, White Sucker

TWIN LAKES
Game Fish Opportunities: Arctic Grayling, Brook Trout, Burbot, Lake Trout
All Species Present: Arctic Grayling, Brook Trout, Burbot, Lake Trout, Longnose Sucker, Mottled Sculpin, Rainbow Trout, Rainbow X Cutthroat Trout, Westslope Cutthroat Trout, White Sucker

Offline Spey_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:19 AM »
I just recently talked to the fish biologist for that area while I was fishing delmoe and he said while they were netting they were seeing some HUGE ling...that's kinda the main reason I was gonna go up there. But it's kinda a long drive to get there and find it either to packed with snow or still open water...

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:26 AM »
I just recently talked to the fish biologist for that area while I was fishing delmoe and he said while they were netting they were seeing some HUGE ling...that's kinda the main reason I was gonna go up there. But it's kinda a long drive to get there and find it either to packed with snow or still open water...

It is a long drive. Weather forecast says 70% chance of snow Saturday as well. You must be located in Butte huh ??

Offline Linginator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:33 AM »
I would be super interested in a report from Mussigbrod, it's been on my radar for an icefishing trip for many years.  As everyone has commented, not easily accessible.  Our plan that has never materialized was to get in on snowmobiles.  I'm pretty confident you would catch some Ling with tip-ups or jigging the bottom.  If you go, try by the cliffs on the east side of the lake.  It's the deepest spot and I understand Ling are deeper this time of year whereas early spring they go shallower when they spawn under the ice.
TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII P UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:54 AM »
@ linginator

When the wife, daughter & I fished it in late September it hardly had any water in it. Makes me wonder if it would even be worth the trip. Would be nice to try tho, just to say you did it.

Offline Linginator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2014, 12:32 PM »
When you say "hardly any water" are you talking about the whole lake or just by the boat dock?  I know there are spots that dry up in late summer but there are a few deeper holes in the lake, like I mentioned by the cliffs. 
TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII P UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!

Offline Spey_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Hey spitzo yeah I'm from Whitehall so close enough...if it wasn't finals week I'd head up there right now...I need to befriend some one with sleds haha...I do want to go try it out especially since I am yet to catch a ling...only been out once for  them though...if anyone makes a trip up there let us know how it went

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:49 AM »
When you say "hardly any water" are you talking about the whole lake or just by the boat dock?  I know there are spots that dry up in late summer but there are a few deeper holes in the lake, like I mentioned by the cliffs.

There was no water by the boat dock. I would guesstimate the rest of the lake was 4 - 6 feet lower than I had ever seen it. If a guy was to try his luck up there, I absolutely agree that the cliffs would be the best place to punch some holes.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:14 AM »
Hey spitzo yeah I'm from Whitehall so close enough...if it wasn't finals week I'd head up there right now...I need to befriend some one with sleds haha...I do want to go try it out especially since I am yet to catch a ling...only been out once for  them though...if anyone makes a trip up there let us know how it went

I've often tossed around the idea of buying a trail sled for the sole purpose of hardwater fishing mountain lakes. Always thought that would be a good time. I've also entertained the idea of putting a set of tracks on one of my ATV's or my SxS. Set of tracks or a trail sled, either way a pretty stiff price tag for something used a handful of times per year. Whitehall huh? My brother & his family live in Whitehall. Small world. Take care !!

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I've often tossed around the idea of buying a trail sled for the sole purpose of hardwater fishing mountain lakes. Always thought that would be a good time. I've also entertained the idea of putting a set of tracks on one of my ATV's or my SxS. Set of tracks or a trail sled, either way a pretty stiff price tag for something used a handful of times per year. Whitehall huh? My brother & his family live in Whitehall. Small world. Take care !!
One word, Elan. If you can find them. I have a few and they are a blast. We generally have 2 to 4 trips a winter in the pioneers to hit those high mountain lakes. Sometimes you can find the old Tundras that'll be perfect for around 2k.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline Spey_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:29 AM »
@ spitzo well there is a pretty good chance I would probably know them then haha...@the rez yeah I've been looking into a pair of altai hybrids they are a cross between snowshoes and skis they don't have a waxed bottom so you can climb up to a 20 degree slope with them and still have good glide to ski down with...that'd still take a lot of work to get there even with those...I've recently heard of a high mountain lake in the Troots that had lake trout stocked in it back in the 80s and someone I know just recently caught a 15lber out of it so one day after I'm done with school and making buku bucks I'm gonna have to buy a sled

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2024, 11:32 AM »
On the Ice 2/10/24
Checked ice at the shore, snow, slush, and about 4 inches of ice. Followed the most recent tracks onto the ice. Either I found a very thin spot or some ahole didn't flag/mark there open hole because I went in. We quickly moved the sleds off the lake and pulled everything and checked ice everywhere we went after that.
caught one sucker and that was it, we were targeting ling on the cliffs 15-30 FOW.
Been planning this trip for awhile, pretty lake and had a good time just sucks others ruined it because they can't have the decency to mark where they opened up holes big enough someone or a sled could fall into.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline BurbotsNBourbon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2024, 03:16 PM »
Oof that sucks, glad you're ok. That's a decent trek just to get wet, hopefully you were able to warm up/dry off for the ride out.

Offline Skullcooker16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2024, 05:48 PM »
On the Ice 2/10/24
Checked ice at the shore, snow, slush, and about 4 inches of ice. Followed the most recent tracks onto the ice. Either I found a very thin spot or some ahole didn't flag/mark there open hole because I went in. We quickly moved the sleds off the lake and pulled everything and checked ice everywhere we went after that.
caught one sucker and that was it, we were targeting ling on the cliffs 15-30 FOW.
Been planning this trip for awhile, pretty lake and had a good time just sucks others ruined it because they can't have the decency to mark where they opened up holes big enough someone or a sled could fall into.

Where did you fall through the lake? I went there on the 2nd and the little pond you first encounter was very soft bad ice. Looked like 2 other groups had been out there before us and they left beer, bait containers and other trash out there

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2024, 07:59 PM »
Looked like 2 other groups had been out there before us and they left beer, bait containers and other trash out there
ALWAYS A SPECIAL FIND IN THE OUTDOORS OF "BIG SKY COUNTRY"...FRICKN' LOWLIFE LITTERING DIRTBAGS !!

Offline Skullcooker16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2024, 08:41 PM »
Yup. Luckily was there before it got buried by snow so cleaned it up. Only fished for 2 hrs or so and then the big storm hit and dropped alot of heavy wet snow. Took some pics of the lake with my drone. That first little part of the lake where the sxs tracks are was super soft as you can see only got worse after all the snow I imagine

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2024, 11:39 PM »
COOL PICTURE...
THANKS FOR SHARING !!

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2024, 12:37 PM »

From your sweet drone picture I marked a red X with location of where I went in.

It was a warm day and I always wear wool base layers so it wasn't that bad.

That's lame people left there trash, its a very pretty lake and kind of hard to get to you would think it would get treated better. Been sharing my recent experience with locals around the lake and heard the regulars that fish it use the grayling they catch as bait for the ling... SMH super messed up.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Skullcooker16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2024, 03:58 PM »

From your sweet drone picture I marked a red X with location of where I went in.

It was a warm day and I always wear wool base layers so it wasn't that bad.

That's lame people left there trash, its a very pretty lake and kind of hard to get to you would think it would get treated better. Been sharing my recent experience with locals around the lake and heard the regulars that fish it use the grayling they catch as bait for the ling... SMH super messed up.

Dang that's way out in the deep that could've been really bad. must've been someone's hole then. I've went there 2 times now but both times wasn't able to fish very long and have only caught little guys so far. Dang near made it all the way to the lake with my little truck pulling a trailer that day I went though

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2024, 12:05 PM »
Ya on a winter like we have had I could totally see that! I also would have really thought the ice would have been much thicker being at over 6k elevation.
What dinks did you catch? grayling or burbs?
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Skullcooker16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2024, 10:34 PM »
Dinks of both. 6-8" grayling 12-18" burbot

Offline tmarie406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2024, 10:18 AM »
Ya on a winter like we have had I could totally see that! I also would have really thought the ice would have been much thicker being at over 6k elevation.
What dinks did you catch? grayling or burbs?

That lake is notorious for bad ice. I don't know why exactly, maybe insulation with all the snow? I would guess that they just hit bad ice. We almost lost a snowmobile a few years back there because of bad ice. Thankfully, the 2nd machine stopped on good ice and after 4 hours of digging and towing, we finally got it out.  There was honestly like 28" of ice, but it was layered, a few good inches, then slush, then a few more good inches then more slush. Weirdest ice I've ever been on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.