Author Topic: Ice fishing basics  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Grateful Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing basics
« on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:09 AM »
I just have a few questions about ice fishing basics.  The first day I went out I did nothing but tie on a hand painted jig from the local bait shop and tip it with a spike, a mousey, or a grub.   The line I was using sucked, for lack of a better word.   I bought an ice rig from wal-mart and I think it may have had 14 pound test on it...at least it felt like it.   I'm not even sure I was making it to the bottom. 

Anyway, we used a depth finder to figure out how deep we were fishing but really didn't mark the bottom on our line.   I've read that people use bobbers and/or rubber bands to mark the bottom on your line but does anyone have any other suggestions?   Also, do you use any sort of weight at all on your line, like a split shot? 

Also, do most of you use spring bobbers on the end of your rod?

Thanks for the help!

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing basics
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:35 AM »
I use a Vexilar but before I had that valueable piece of equipment I would put a bobber stop on my line and then I used a weight with a alligator clip and attached it to my hook and let it go to the bottom. Then I would put the bobber stop so it was just a couple inches under water. Then as I was fishing I knew when my jig was just off bottom. Hope this helps.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:43 AM »
Slip Bobber's are great for marking bottom. You can also just by the slip Bobbers tie-ons...and use them without a Bobber.

Depending on how deep you are fishing and the size of jig you are using you may or may not need extra weight. I personly let the jig do the dropping for me..no extra weight...But on a hot bite when you are trying to get down faster some weight wont hurt.

Also Try dropshots...they aren't just for open water..I just read an article about winter dropping and I'm going to give it a try. Take a nicely weight jig/spoon and use it as the dropper weight then tie on a hook anywhere from a few inches to a few feet up the line..(depends on the fish)..The weighted jig will get you down fast and make contact with the bottom (stirring things up for you) and your dropper hook is in perfect postion for the bite. Give it shot

Offline indybogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing,hunting and family the best things in life
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:14 AM »
I use 2 to 4 pound on my rods I really like the trilene ice line, and on tip ups I spool 8lb. ,as for depth if you don't have electronics definately the old clip on depth finder. As for bobbers I have sponge bobbers because they are very sensitive and for super light bite spring bobbers or just watching and feeling the line. The little plastic 2 or 3 hole sliding bobber stops seem to work well for marking you line.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:25 PM »
You are really gonna have to buy a lead depth sounder. These can probably be had for less than a dollar. They are a lead weight on a spring loaded clip. Use 2-4 lb test line put your sounder on your ice jig and drop it to the bottom. You can use any style bobber your comfy with. Prior to the Vex I would use the small styrofoam bobbers with the slit in the side and a toot pick for pegging it. Put your bobber on at about 6 inches from the bottom. This is a start. You can experiment with different depths but this is a basic rig. Don't feel like you have to run out and spend hundreds of dollars to do this. You can put your share on the ice by just keeping things simple. Now when you want to graduate to the world of electronics everyone hear will help.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:10 PM »
I always use spring bobbers. You talked about buying a combo somewhere that felt
like it had heavy line. It probably did. THe best ready to fish rig that I have seen
are those Schooley or HT outfits with the plastic reel and the spring bobber. They
are usually less the 7 or 8 bucks! Great for kids, until they pick up your Gaff rod and
kinda take over it!
Later Greg
Fish on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.