Author Topic: Lake George/Lake County  (Read 9259 times)

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
Lake George/Lake County
« on: Dec 17, 2005, 07:29 PM »
I got out on Lake George today and was trying to catch some crappie. I was fishing with minnows and fished from 10:30-1:30. No crappies I'm afraid but I did catch my first fish through the ice that wasn't too bad-this Largemouth Bass. It was fun to finally land a fish through the ice!!!!  :o  I'm learning that this is not easy for sure!!! Each time I'm learning a bit and making adjustment. Last night I went and bought some 2lb ice line for my rods. I'm sure that helped some but it really too light for my taste and breaks easy. I also learned how to keep warm better. It was a gorgeous day on the ice-sunny but cold in the teens but little wind!!!

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake George/Lake County
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2005, 07:40 PM »
Glad you caught one.  It's always good to get one under the belt.  How much ice did you have?  That lake can be pretty tough some days.  Last time I fished it, I went home skunked.  Did you fish near the access?

I know a lot of anglers use the 2 lb. test, but I prefer the 4 lb. test.  Good luck on your next outing. 
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2005, 07:48 PM »
thanks Bigbass! It was good to get one for sure! I was beginning to wonder. I don't have sonar so I was wondering if I'd ever get on the fish. There was about 5" ice in the area that I fished. It wasn't as much ice as over on Long Lake in Valpo. Maybe the current in Lake George keeps it down a bit. I parked at the High School and went in on that side of the lake. I ran into another guy who was coming out when I was leaving and he said he does pretty good over there. I'll be back for sure.

Offline RandyD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2005, 01:26 PM »
I parked at the High School and went in on that side of the lake. I ran into another guy who was coming out when I was leaving and he said he does pretty good over there. I'll be back for sure.
I'd like to try lake george true the ice
Where is the high school located?
Can't catch'em unless your out trying

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2005, 02:03 PM »
Crappiehunter,
Congrat's on breaking that proverbial cherry.  you'll get a lot more fish on the ice this winter now that you've gotten that first one on ice...  ;)
Carp

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2005, 10:25 PM »
Randy, the HS is located on the southeast side of the lake, across the lake from the boat launch. I think it's on 8th street or 6th, I can't remember. Hope to connect to you out on the lake.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2005, 10:26 PM »
I did see guys ice fishing near the Wisconsin Street Bridge too on the east side. I didn't talk with them though to see what they caught.

Offline fshnbudy01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:48 AM »
Hey Crappie, good job on the bass.  You will get to like having the lighter line on.  It gives a lot more action to your jigs and is much easier to tie jigs to.  It does break more easily, but the key to that is to keep a constant eye on your reel's drag.  I grew up in Wisconsin (Poor Packers this year :-[ )  and would pull large bass, catfish, and even carp, with 2 Lb line.  Even got an occasional Northern Pike if it's teeth would stay off the line.  As long as I kept the drag loose enough so the line wouldn't break on the ice hole the line usually held up pretty well.   
"Quit lookin at my Marmooska."

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:32 PM »
Thanks Fshnbudy, I won't give up yet on the light line. My trouble is that I'm not using reels with drags. I've got the simple ice fishing poles.

Sorry about your packers, you might need to become a Bears Fan this year!!!! Bear down, Chicago Bears!!!!!

Here's a pic of the lake, you can see the place I was fishing just north of where the High School is. Any body got any other spots to share?

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:37 PM »
crappiehunter, that lake is basically in my backyard. Go north of the 3rd st. bridge, and then west, there's a little bay where we pound the crappies and gills. There are some nice ones in there find 5-6 feet and youll get on them!! I'll pm you with my cell #. give me a call and I'll meet you out there! C-ya, Crappie Rob
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:48 PM »
Rob I spent my youth skating in those bays. Oh for the days of ones youth.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:54 PM »
They say we get better with age, right? Maybe I'll get some skates, and when the fishing slows down, see if I can't bust my A@@!! Nah, I'll leave skating to the youngsters. I have a hard enough time not busting my A@@ while I'm fishing!! C-ya on the ice. Crappie Rob

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:58 PM »
What's the old saying---- I'm not as good as I once was, but, I'm as good once as I ever was. :(
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2005, 05:57 PM »
I caught this crappie plus about 30 small gills through the ice today on Lake George in Hobart. Had a lot of fun pulling those gills through the ice, just wish there was some size to them. Only about 3-4 were really keepers.

I kept trying to move out into deeper water to maybe pick up some bigger fish but no luck.

Offline Fish-trap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:46 PM »
Nice job. So was this your first crappie through the ice?  You'll be hammering them soon I bet.

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:51 PM »
You da man... You are coming right along.... Good Job pal!
Carp

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2005, 11:27 AM »
Here's the bag of gills that I went home with. When I got home I realized that most of them were pretty small. My eyes on the lake were bigger than reality!!! But they sure were fun to catch!!!! I through back at least this many.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:00 PM »
I have had that happen before, they always look bigger on the ice.  For bluegill if it's big enough to hook it big enough to cook, no difference than a small chicken nugget, besides the little fish taste better anyways.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2005, 04:38 PM »
Blue gill chips taste good too.  As long as you eat'm, it's all good.  Nice Job.
Carp

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2005, 04:57 PM »
Nice sack, something Guppy and did to keep us from ending up with a bunch of dinks is put an adhesive tape measure on the front lip of our rover shanty's. It sure humbles ya and keeps ya from thinking the fish are bigger than they really are. But if your willing to clean all sizes they are all good to eat Tight Lines to ya.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2005, 05:58 AM »
Here's a pic of the biggest gill I caught on Thursday. They were fun!!

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2005, 03:02 PM »
I got on Lake George this morning from 7:30-12:30. I brought home 25 keepers!! It took me a while but once I found the hole it was great. I caught these on Ratzo with a beemoth. It was melting around the edge but once I got over that it was fine. I hope it holds out!!!

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Here's one of the biggest ones!!! Nice and thick!! Man did these fillet nice!!! Ready for the fryer!

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:06 PM »
Here's one of the biggest ones!!! Nice and thick!! Man did these fillet nice!!! Ready for the fryer!

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice.
Give me a holler the next time you're going to head to George and we'll see if we can hook up.
The ice looked pretty bad around the edges there by the boat launch on the south section....

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:13 PM »
Well done crappiehunter!! I went and checked the ice out there today, by the launch, in the park, on the Northwest side of the lake. Good 6"! I'll be oot there tommorrow (am) Excellent report, and nice pics!! C-ya. Crappie Rob

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:34 PM »
Good post and nice fish pal.  WTG!
Carp

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2005, 07:26 PM »
Here's what they looked like later in the afternoon!!!! Man they were good!!! ;D Thanks for the encouragement guys!! It's a blast catching them through the ice!!!

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2005, 09:27 PM »
o ya that make my mouth water!!!!

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2005, 12:36 PM »
Now that boy can cook!
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:36 PM »
Purduebass and I connected and fished from 7:00-1:00pm. He probably caught 25 or more, and I came home with 19. Purduebass, I did catch a nice crappie after you left!!!! Here's my pic of my mixed bag. They are cleaned and in the freezer!!! (This should get the attention of the Porter County gang!!) We missed CrappieRob and The Darkness!!! Will have to connect in the future. The ice is a bit mushy on the top and it was raining when I left. There is still a lot of good ice but it's melted around the edges. Be safe!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.