Author Topic: ice fishing injuries  (Read 3261 times)

Offline jwn1976

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice fishing injuries
« on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:26 PM »
This past weekend I sustained my first true ice fishing injury.  My tip up flag hit me directly in the eyeball leaving a nasty blood spot.  That got me to thinking...I've seen some pretty ugly ice fishing injuries sustained by others from sprained ankles, auger blade cuts, even a guy break his nose falling face first on his bucket!  So what other things have happened to you all out there?
A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ice fishing injuries
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:31 PM »
I'm imagining you scrunched down on your hands and knees staring at your tipup waiting for a flag! 

;)2 then :tipup:

ouch.

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Usually just chewed up hands from grabbing big eyes by the mouth
If at first you don't succeed at ice fishing

Then drink another Cold Beer                     

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:34 PM »
being stupid, and getting fingers to close to a piks mouth, bled like a pig, you would have thought I would have learned the first time, nope did it again an again an again, those teeth are sharp lol

Offline jonny boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:45 PM »
thndrvlly. at least you"re consistant.lol!

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:54 PM »
I've had 2 bad episodes first was falling on glare ice running after a tipup and ended up with a dislocated shoulder.....damn they are painfull. A few years later fell backwards and hit my head and ended up with a nasty concussion. These days will not venture anywhere on the ice without stabilizers......Highl y recommended by this guy.....

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Years ago I was racing my buddy for the first flag of the day during a tourney (then we did a rotation) and as I was sprinting one of my creapers flew off during mid sprint. Landed hard on my knee and hobbled around the most ofthe day. I have micro spikes now so no need to worry about that happening again.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:59 PM »
No injuries here yet other than an errant treble in my finger but after a Jack and Coke at dinner chasing my kid around I did go ass over teakettle in socks on our hardwood floors.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Concussion, several cuts from fish teeth and blades,  and I came very close to severely cutting my foot on a broken beer bottle.  I was coming of the ice on sodus one year and was climbing a snow bank by the road when my foot went through the crust.  Did not think to much of it until I started feeling my foot getting wet, looked down a huge 6 plus inch gash in my boots.  Took them off and I alized that it was just snow melting that went in the slice.  Socks were even cut a little.  I Imagin it could off done some damage if I was I not wearing two layers of socks. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I'm waiting to get a rod to the face setting my jaw jackers. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:21 PM »
my olman back in his younger days had his lantern box under his arm and slipped on the ice and fell right on the corner of the wooden lantern box and broke a rib.

Offline rcoughlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:21 PM »
A few weeks ago i helped my buddy land his 2nd fish ever through the ice..a 35in 11lb tiger musky. Damn near spooled him twice, once was right after we first got a glimpse. He had it hooked mint right in the corner of the mouth and I've released plenty other fish with a simple push of the eyelet of the hook. Nope. Almost had it and my finger slipped right into her mouth and she bit right down like a bad date. Right through the finger. I bled like a stuck pig until i finally wrapped it up in my longjohns for about 10 mins. Shoulda seen the look on my girlfriends face when she first saw my underwear lol. Keep pliers in your pocket not your shanty. Lesson learned.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:29 PM »
 Saw a guy take the cover off his auger and laid his hand open from just above his wrist to half way up his thumb,DEEP.
He took some duct tape,wrapped his hand and kept fishing with his boy for 2hrs.
It looked like a murder scene around the hole.
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline Pindrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I go to nature to have my senses put in order.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:46 PM »
About three weeks ago was out, And my clam ice fishing cooler chair Fill over , without me knowing, And went to sit down a wamm on my back on the ice, Being 63 years old and 250 pounds Its good I did not go through the ice, Well my back hurt for a few days,  But I caught a nice big trout. Latter that day. Was worth it. But Clam Corp Put some decent  Rubber caps on your chairs, Not Plastic, That slides like heck on ice. I replaced with rubber, It helps a lot. And I am more careful.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Many moon ago was moving my permy by hand and slipped on glare ice and kicked the shack , caught the big toe just right and thought I broke it , well got set up and took my boot off and the nail was solid black and hurt like a sob . The next day I decided to move it again yep you guessed it, as I was rolling around a buddy tried helping me up and I told him to just let me be for a bit , well took that boot off and no need to poke a hole in that nail as I ripped it off the second time I slipped

Offline Walleyeslayer306

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:11 PM »
I never had an injury but damn my back hurts sometimes after sitting on a pail all day! lol
born to fish, forced to work!

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:16 PM »
severe hematoma(?) caught my knee on the ice when I went through.... last year.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:18 PM »
laid a finger open the other day while checking out a pike I caught. don't see many around here and run my thumb on his jaw somehow,opened a 1.5" gash. all my gear is covered in blood.I'm not a bleeder ,but that cut would not close up for nothing!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Back in the mid 70’s I did it up pretty good. The Mora auger had been introduced and in the ice fishing world it was all the rage. We had just bought a Mora and I was excited about giving it a try. Up to now we only had the old spoon auger and anyone that used one of those knows they were not the easiest hole maker ever invented.
Three buddies and I went out on a little lake in WI. It was first ice, the nice black stuff. That morning we got a dusting of snow and walking was at a snail’s pace. When we got to the lake everyone grabbed something, and I took the auger. We never had a guard on the old spoon auger so before we left the car I threw the guard from the Mora into the trunk.

Walking out was treacherous to say the least. One by one someone would fall and the others would bust a gut laughing. I made it almost to where we were going to set up tip ups and my feet took off from underneath me. I fell hard and landed partially on the auger. Everyone had a good laugh and I started drilling holes. Man that thing cut. Wisconsin allowed 3 lines, being there were four of us I just kept drilling. About into my tenth hole I could feel my arm was wet. Just as I was finishing number 12 a drop of blood hit the snow.

I stopped and looked at my brand new Thinsulate coveralls. In the sleeve was a nice 6”cut in the middle of the arm. I remember being mad as a hornet thinking how I just cut my new coveralls. Then I started to investigate and noticed my heavy sweatshirt was cut as was my heavy wool shirt and wool underwear top. Man I was hot. By the time I got to my bare arm things didn’t get any better.

Off to the emergency room I went. In those days the Doctors seemed much more willing to help first and worry about money second. He started sewing and I started counting. Just as he finished up the last stitch, I hit 27. Thank god I had cut through all the clothes or I would have been spending Christmas in the Hospital.

Over the years I have been reminded of that day many times. The one thing I took away from that day is if there is a guard on something, a safety on something, or a sheath on something, it will be in left in place up until the time I use said instrument.
We did make it back to the lake and we did catch a lot of fish. When we left the lake I had someone else carry the auger.

WS   

Offline Hickory

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Never had an injury myself.  A couple weeks back I was fishing near a group of bucket fishermen when one fell on the ice and broke his leg.  We were all about a half mile from the trucks and I had the only sled on the lake.  The old jetsled saved the day and I helped skid the injured man to his partner's rig.  Strange experience to say the least but was glad I could help. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Big Scott and many more of you, OUCH !      :woot:

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Blasted a few knees off the ice that made it difficult to walk for few days..Threw the back out catching myself , you know those quick jerks when you loose your footing..I sometimes think its better to just take the fall now.. Every time I try to catch myself I pull a few muscles in my back that leaves me laying on the floor for a few days...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:57 PM »
I got a little slash/cut on my hand from my buddies auger. He caught a monster crappie and it wouldn't fit though the hole.  I stuck my hand down the hole holding the fish while he used a hand auger to very slowly and carefully cut a second hole.  Just nicked me, didn't hurt but wouldn't stop bleeding.
 My cousin tweaked his back big time drilling a hole...he was done for the rest of the season.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I have been lucky, no major injuries so far but after reading this thread I will be a little more cautious on the ice from now on......

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:29 PM »
Wellll took my buddy out last year for his first time, he was running flags stopped slipped fell flat on his rear broke his tail bone other then that ive never seen any injuries

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Kind of "squared off" a finger while resharpening my fillet knife
about half way through a bucket of bluegills. Hard to tell who
bled more.....

rivereddy

Offline FishADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold Hands
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:51 PM »
There was this one time I didn't catch any fish. It was terrible day, I got hurt real bad. (mentally)
-DISCLAIMER-
Everything written above is entirely false. All posts were fabricated by analysing the posts of others. All pictures were stolen from the internet. I have never gone ice fishing in my life.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Not mine but I saw this happen. 

My brother and I had a permanent shack and heated it by putting a roll of toilet paper inside of a coffee can, pouring a bottle of rubbing alcohol in it and lighting it.  It was enough to keep the chill out of the air.  So a guy joins us one afternoon and when we were packing up we still had a fire going in our coffee can heater.  He has heavy welding type gloves and volunteers to "put it out."  Usually we just set the thing outside and let it burn out.  You wouldn't think a guy would be dumb enough to try and blow it out would you?  There are more idiots in the world than you could ever imagine.  He takes a deep breath and just as he's about to blow it out my brother and I yell "NOOOOO!"  Too late.  The flames shot back into his face and burned his eyebrows off and gave him one heck of a burn himself.  Luckily he closed his eyes when he huffed and puffed or he might be blind.  His face was peeling for about 2 weeks after he did that.  We lost touch with the guy but 20 years later we still laugh at him. 

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:22 PM »
Forgot my cleats one day...bad idea. Fell on the ice and threw my back out bad. Was laid up for at least a week on the couch. Now i dont go near any ice without cleats or my boots with ice screws in them!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Never hurt myself on the ice, but sure have done some dumb stuff getting there!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.