Author Topic: Which Reel?  (Read 10655 times)

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
Which Reel?
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:59 PM »
I've always been one to use whatever reel comes on a combo. I've used the same HT Reels that came on some rods a few years ago and was thinking about what else might be out there. Was thinking about a straight line setup, but a fly reel just isn't for me.

What qualities do you look for in a good reel?

I see the Pflueger get mentioned a lot and seems like the Trion or President is the way to go there depending on the budget. Is the President worth the extra $$$?

I also hear a lot of other ones like Shakespere and Shimano get thrown out there as well. Are any of these makes worth looking into and what models specifically?

If I'm going to buy, want to make sure I get the right one the first time.

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Which Reel?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:06 PM »
I own a few presidents and they are one of the best reels I have ever used.  Definitly worth the money if you take care of it it will last a lifetime!
“I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" - Sir Izaak Walton

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:32 PM »
I own a few presidents and they are one of the best reels I have ever used.  Definitly worth the money if you take care of it it will last a lifetime!

Any advantage with their XT versions?

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:33 PM »
You may want to rephrase the question and ask...what are the features to look for in a quality icefishing reel?

Asking which to get is like asking which rod, which flasher, which line, on and on and on. There are a lot of choices, but finding out which qualities most like may help make it easier.

Personally I like to have the best drag possible that adjusts smoothly. To me, that is the one of the most important qualities when I decide to purchase a reel for icefishing. Actually for any fishing. Then comes weight, good roller bearings/line guide, a good fit for the rod I am looking to put it on.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:33 PM »

X2. Don't get the Trion. If you have the money spend the money for the Presidente.

Shimmano has great reels in the  $160.00 range like the Stradic. I would not recommend a Shimmano Symetre Over a Phlueger though and never a Shakespear. Go with the Presidente and never look back. Everyone will admire your reel while telling you the problems with the one they have.

To the previous post I say the phlueger is light has great drag and bearing system. The other one I like is the Abu Garcia Cardinal, Smooth and well built.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:34 PM »
Tika, Shimano, Presidents, Abu U series all top end reels and a huge step up from the HT... My last and only HT cost me 2 slab crappies ( 16"+) due to locked drag, I fixed it with a 28oz Estwing hammer and replaced it with a 300u Abu and been happy ever since...Most reels that come on combos are low end at best, rare to find a good rod/reel combo without spending some money, I never buy combo's always pair my rods with reels to balance and enhance them... rough guess between open water and ice I have near $4K in reels....keep in mind though my muskie reels are $300 or more each, walleye reels are around $100 each, most my ice reels are around the $50 average...

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:39 PM »
I'm a shimano fan.
I've had/have the sedona, sahara & saros (<--favorite) and use the AXULSA's for pannies.
Smooth drag, tight reels. I like em.
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:39 PM »
I love the pflug! But I lost mine in a tragic canoe incident last year as it was double duty(ing) as my ultralight reel. I now use a zebco 11 for my #1 ice fishing rig. I use the larger pflug for bigger open water stuff. Can't go wrong with 'em.
"I throw back the ones I don't eat"

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:55 PM »
I own lots of Shimano's and Pflueger Presidents....I'd honestly have to rate them even, for smoothness, consistent drag, castability, etc. Look around at places like Sportsman's Guide, and you can pick up the Presidents on sale...I bought two in November for member price of $34 each.... :woot: Also, be aware, as a lot of people don't seem to know, you CAN get the President with the rubber "Thumb" paddle handle, instead of the wood toggle, which I really prefer. I had the manager at a local GM tell me they don't come that way...I took my new ones out to show him... :whistle:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Tosh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:03 PM »
x2 for shimano. i currently run two 1000 sustains and don't think i will change anytime soon.

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:08 PM »
I have Tica's, Presidents and Shimano's. All are good, but I prefer the Shimano Sedona.

Offline flyangler00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:09 PM »
pflueger, shimano,abu garcia all are great reels.. frabbil also has the bro series reel sold as a seperate pc. approx. $30. the frabill bro series 18" micro light with a pflueger titanium underspin would be a great little straightline combo.

may you have tight lines and good times, we'll see you on the water

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:09 PM »
I own two pfleuger trions and they're great, never compared them to a president though.

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Shimano sedona and Tica's are all I use. At $29.99, you cant go wrong.

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:13 PM »
x2 for shimano. i currently run two 1000 sustains and don't think i will change anytime soon.

Nice reels!! If I were to drop the coin it would be on sustains also. I love my Stradic

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:15 PM »
I should've mentioned that they were the trions. Keep em clean and greased, and they'll last forever! I've had my bigger trion for a few years now, and it always does what I ask of it!
"I throw back the ones I don't eat"

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:33 PM »
You may want to rephrase the question and ask...what are the features to look for in a quality icefishing reel?

Asking which to get is like asking which rod, which flasher, which line, on and on and on. There are a lot of choices, but finding out which qualities most like may help make it easier.

Personally I like to have the best drag possible that adjusts smoothly. To me, that is the one of the most important qualities when I decide to purchase a reel for icefishing. Actually for any fishing. Then comes weight, good roller bearings/line guide, a good fit for the rod I am looking to put it on.

That is a better way of putting it... Thanks.

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:44 PM »
My two main reels are a Stradic which was $235 and a president $69 at the time.  My Stradic is 4 or 5 years old and has been with me for some memorable adventures and caught just about all my memerable fish so she is the first one I grab.  Take away the attachment to the Stradic and I would compare them at about even.  In my opinion the president is worth much more than the price tag says.
“I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" - Sir Izaak Walton

Offline Diehardiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:47 PM »
Have any of you guys tried the okuma ultra light reel?

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:53 PM »
I like Okumas for my UL panfish rods. They aren't the most expensive but they definitely do the trick and are better than the combo reels. I wanted to get a couple of Pfluegers for my walleye setups but for the price of one I was able to get two Abu Garcia Cardinal series reels that I'm happy with! 

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Sedona. very nice reel

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:52 PM »
I like using Abu Garcia Cardinal 100u.  You can get it at Walmart for around $36.  It has a smooth drag and works well, even when it gets really cold.  I have had this reel several years without any problems.  I have had problems with 2 Pfleuger reels where they get stiff and I have trouble reeling in.  I also have a Quantum PTi and really like it, but it is also around $140.  I would weigh how much you ice fish...if you only are out a few times, then I would not spend the money for the high end reels unless you take them off the rods for soft water fishing.

Offline stanmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:42 PM »
Depends also on what you are targeting. I have Pflueger's and HT's, each for different fish on different rod types. Definitely repack any Pfluegers with an appropriate ice lube! For small jigging I use an HT Accucast ACR 106. Never had a problem with it. HT like any other brand has higher and lower end units. The 106 is like 16 bucks and is comparable to units many times more expensive, and comes lubed for extreme cold conditions. Worth checking out!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Shimano! From trout to tuna they have not failed me. I have found that what ever price range you are looking at you won't go wrong with a Shimano.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2012, 12:45 AM »
I never buy combos.  I buy good Shimano or Abu reels and 20 dollar Shakespeare rods.  I currently have Stradic and Spirex.  I think a smooth drag is important.  I have always used spinning reels.  I just got a heavy St. Croix 34"  baitcaster, to pair up with my Calcutta 250 reel for big pike and lakers.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:32 AM »
All of my spinning reels are SHIMANO ... Sustains, Stratics, Sahara, Symetre, Sedona, Seinna ... they all work great.  All of my ice fishing spinning reels are 500 sized for panfish, 1000 size for walleyes or bigger fish. All of the fly reels I use for ice fishing are Okuma SLVs and one Fenwick. I do belive that Shimano makes the best spinning and baitcasting reels IMO. Match them up with a Thorne Bros. rod and don't look back! ;D

surflizard

« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:16 AM »
I've been running the Shimano Sienna 500s and the 1000s, great drag on a trouble free reel, I don't go near HT Products because of the Really Cheap Chinese manufacturing involved with the HT products !! Grant most everything nowadays is made in china, but HT has managed to find the Absolute Worse of the Ching Chop charlies to throw their stuff together !!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:34 AM »
Is there going to be a noticable difference in line twist between the 4#/100' and the 4#/110' models in regards to the president or any others that have 2 closely sized spools?

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:02 AM »
Have any of you guys tried the okuma ultra light reel?

That's pretty much all I use on the ice unless I'm targeting big toothy critters.  I'm a Shimano guy for spinning gear on open water, but I don't see the necessity in spending $60-$200 on a 500 series ice reel.  IMO what is needed for an ice reel is dependablilty in a harsh environment as well as a smooth drag.   The Okuma ultralight handles both those things and with a great pricetag to boot. But don't let the lower price fool you...this reel is comparable to the Sedonas and Presidents in performance on the ice in my opinion.

http://www.fishusa.com/Okuma-Ultralight-10-Spinning-Reel_p.html

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Is there going to be a noticable difference in line twist between the 4#/100' and the 4#/110' models in regards to the president or any others that have 2 closely sized spools?

Not noticeable, if it's spun on correctly.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.