Author Topic: Moral Dilemna  (Read 9836 times)

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Moral Dilemna
« on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Ok so I ordered a bunch of ice fishing stuff earlier this week.  A new St. Croix jigging pole, a Frabill Straight line combo, etc.  It comes today and I open it and to my surprise there is not one but 2 Frabill Combo's.  A free $60 combo my lucky day.  What would you guys do?
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Moral Dilemna
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Give it to a kid.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:52 AM »
do what you want.you know yourself better than anyone. i would call them and see if they want to sell it for there cost. if not go from there.

Offline bassin329

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:53 AM »
I myself would attempt to return it. 99.9% of the time, a big name like Frabill will tell you to keep it and thanks for being honest. That's what I would love to hear. Maybe they'll take it back, but in return you'll get a gift card or other things for your honesty, someone telling me that I am a honest person is a plus for me in my heart.
Respect the land and water you tread on, it's not just yours.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:55 AM »
I like the donation idea.  I think what i will do is take the $60 I saved and make a little starter ice fishing kit and wrap it up for a christmas donation.  You know some jigs, a combo, ice scoop, things like that.

Offline ak-71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:58 AM »
I would call. I don't believe in karma but, as I found out once, things like this (even on a much smaller scale) change my luck in a hurt beat.
If I figure I didn't pay for something at a store when I come home - I go back and it's not for any moral reasons.

Offline boinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Try fishing with it first to see how you do.  Maybe it's your lucky rod?

HAHAHAHAA

Zac

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Call 'em and see if they'd back the "give to a kid" idea. if not, I'd be honest and return it, or see what they want to do...technically, it's their rod at that point, since it wasn't paid for. That's just IMO.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:10 AM »
I'd say keep it. They mailed it to you it's not like you stole it from a store. Who knows, maybe they had an extra one to get rid of ;D
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:10 AM »
Great idea make sure it goes to a kid that will use it.
I'd hand it to the fist kid I meet on the ice.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:12 AM »
I'd call them for sure. They are a great company with excellent customer service. "IF" they want it back (and I doubt they will) make sure they pay the shipping.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:14 AM »
I myself would attempt to return it. 99.9% of the time, a big name like Frabill will tell you to keep it and thanks for being honest. That's what I would love to hear. Maybe they'll take it back, but in return you'll get a gift card or other things for your honesty, someone telling me that I am a honest person is a plus for me in my heart.

Thats what I would do.....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:20 AM »
it is a lot to lay on a honest person. if you keep it than don't give it to a kid they have enough growing up of there own to be done. a mistake on there part shouldn't have to be a mistake on your part. think

Offline ak-71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:22 AM »
I have a kid  :-[

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Call 'em and see if they'd back the "give to a kid" idea. if not, I'd be honest and return it, or see what they want to do...technically, it's their rod at that point, since it wasn't paid for. That's just IMO.

Yup, I like that better than my idea. Call them or send them an email and let them know they accidentally sent you an extra rod. Tell them if they want it back to send you a pre-paid return label or money for shipping, otherwise you are going to give it to a child that can use it.

I'm 100% sure they will say to go ahead and give it away, but that is probably the best way to go about it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline tapone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:38 AM »
I would probably give them a call too. In all likelyhood, they will tell you to keep it, or better yet, give it to a kid. If this would happen to me and I didn't call, I would feel crummy everytime I used it... I guess I am just too honest.
Born to fish, fish to live..... gotta drink something so it might as well be a cold beer!

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:38 AM »

Offline tgus59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:38 AM »
Do the right thing, inform them of their mistake.  If they reward you for your honesty thats great, if they don't, you still did the right thing.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:45 AM »
It happens a lot more than you would think. I'm betting it wasn't from frabill but a retailer? I would call.most likely you will get to keep it and know you did the right thing.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:48 AM »
yes, call the retailer you bought it from.. not frabill.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Yeah, it happens, companies love when your honest and most times will tell you to keep it. Personally I would give them a call, if they do ask for it back, i would make sure they are paying for the return shipping

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Call and tell them that if they let you keep it you will be setting up a starter kit for a kid. I think thats a great idea.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:52 AM »
I think you should send it to me! I will say a prayer to absolve you of all bad karma. I promise!!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:54 AM »
On the other hand, you might create some bad Karma if they fire the person that filled/packed your order. To check that out might require an anonymous call to see what retaliation they will put on said order filler. If all is good with their response, then you can be honest and most likely get a free rod with Frabill's/or the retailer's blessings and get the feather in your cap of knowing you did right by all involved. Keep us posted with the result.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:14 PM »
I got it from Cabela's not Frabill.  Not that it makes a big difference.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:15 PM »
I'm torn.  Part of me wants to do the right thing, part of me wants to return it for the next action up so I have 2 different actions  ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Oh. Cabela's, well,...they should know better. I find you Not Guilty.

Just mellow out, selah, cognito? At least you thought hard and long on this, with over-much input. It's in your lap, as we all forget about it. Now, where were we? Oh yeah, we need ice.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:29 PM »
He has enough of a conscience to worry about it and make a post about it...more than a lot of folks might do. I say choice #2, sell it and put the money in the Salvation Army Pot. I did that last year when I found a 20 dollar bill.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline imsoawesome

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:29 PM »
What if someone was having a bad day at work because they were going through a divorce and was just trying to get orders filled to get out of there? Then you call, tell them they gave you a extra $60 rod, give them your order #, they trace it back, fire him/her....now they lost the wife/husband and the JOB! Next is the car, then the house "if they havent already lost it from the divorce" You could be the one to top it off and take the last thing they have. "never know" Just take your early x-mas gift and be happy!  ;)
    PS... or it could of been some drugger that went and got high on lunch! either way....merry christmas, hope you like it! ;D
WOMEN WANT ME......FISH FEAR ME!!!

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:31 PM »
I'm torn.  Part of me wants to do the right thing, part of me wants to return it for the next action up so I have 2 different actions  ;D
I'd still have to take the step and try to do the "right" thing. I'd hate to have that on my concious. jmo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.