Author Topic: Ice fishing flasher  (Read 6425 times)

Offline dyerfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice fishing flasher
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:30 PM »
thanks everyone,ill probably wait until after ice fishing season,do they ever go on sale under $300?

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #31 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:46 PM »
thanks everyone,ill probably wait until after ice fishing season,do they ever go on sale under $300?
That's a tough One Dyerfish.  I do know that Vexilar usually has many reconditioned units for sale, maybe check their website, these units are store/retailer returns and are sent back to Vexilar for reconditioning and then resold.  I would not be the least bit learry of buying One of them.  Also keep an eye out for ebay and craigslist, many good deals to be had.  The most common thing to go wrong with a flasher is it needs a new transducer, causing the owner to give up and sell the unit.  Transducers are about a 100 bucks tops so not a bad price to get her up and running.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline dyerfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Oct 23, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Thanks bubbagill,i will do that

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 23, 2011, 01:01 PM »
maybe even cabelas bargin cave

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2011, 06:48 PM »
E-bay or C-list would be good places to look or one of our fine sponsors will have deals from time to time.
Fish on!

Offline dyerfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Oct 23, 2011, 07:07 PM »
my wife thinks i dont need a flasher,and my son said a real fisherman doesnt need one alsoi said it would help me catch fishmy wife said i have so much fishing equipment and i dont catch anything,anyone else have this problem

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 23, 2011, 07:46 PM »
my wife thinks i dont need a flasher,and my son said a real fisherman doesnt need one alsoi said it would help me catch fishmy wife said i have so much fishing equipment and i dont catch anything,anyone else have this problem
Not anymore, now that I have a flasher ;).  Like I said, when we get together you can barrow one of mine and prove to her how much of a difference it will make. :thumbsup:

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 23, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Dude
Hands down it is the most important piece of equipment. I was in your situation in 2002 when I bought my first
flasher. I am never going back! Like the guys were saying if you realized you forgot to bring it you would probably
pack it in and go home or at least go back and get it! You will not be disappointed!
Fish on!

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Oct 23, 2011, 08:31 PM »

A Lowrance X67C Ice Machine, Marcum VX-1, and Humminbird ICE 35 can all be had for $300 or less.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:33 PM »
Dude
Hands down it is the most important piece of equipment. I was in your situation in 2002 when I bought my first
flasher. I am never going back! Like the guys were saying if you realized you forgot to bring it you would probably
pack it in and go home or at least go back and get it! You will not be disappointed!

Man I have Been in that spot before thought it was in the truck and got to the lake and oops NO vex.  thanks to an understanding wife she was kind enough to bring it to me. 

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:52 AM »
  thanks to an understanding wife she was kind enough to bring it to me.
wow...that's a NICE WIFE!  All this flasher-praise is getting me excited...I fished every weekend last year (without flasher) and only caught a handfull of fish all winter....I'm pretty excited about the prospect of upping my catch rate.   ;D
Tight lines

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Oct 24, 2011, 05:33 PM »
I am also looking at getting a flasher for ice fishing. I probably cannot afford a brand new FL-20 or higher Vex; but am lookning at an FL-18. Now I have been seeing a bunch of FL-8's for sale. Is there much of a difference between an FL-8 and a FL-18?

I mainly fish for panfish but am thinking about deeper water and some walleyes with a flasher unit.

Offline Plaidstork44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Oct 24, 2011, 05:50 PM »
The fl-18 has zoom

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:06 PM »
I have an eight and love it turn it on and fish it isn't the most powerful or as fancy but is simple and affordable you won't be dissapointed

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2011, 11:32 PM »
wow...that's a NICE WIFE!  All this flasher-praise is getting me excited...I fished every weekend last year (without flasher) and only caught a handfull of fish all winter....I'm pretty excited about the prospect of upping my catch rate.   ;D

Thanks she sure is. She has been really great to me to put up with my dumb *** for the last 23 years. I am sure a lucky guy.

Offline funfishingnut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Oct 25, 2011, 06:42 AM »
I bought a Vex last year and love it. It is so much easier to know what is going on below you.

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Oct 25, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Guess I'm one of the other rookies thats jumpin into to the flasher game.  I have about 300-350 that I can spend on one, and as I type I have a comparison pulled up on the Mills Farm Fleet site between the Vex Fl-8, Marcum VX-1, and the Humminbird Ice 35.  They all seem very similar.  Given three $100 bills in your pocket, which one would you choose?

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 25, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Guess I'm one of the other rookies thats jumpin into to the flasher game.  I have about 300-350 that I can spend on one, and as I type I have a comparison pulled up on the Mills Farm Fleet site between the Vex Fl-8, Marcum VX-1, and the Humminbird Ice 35.  They all seem very similar.  Given three $100 bills in your pocket, which one would you choose?
Have you ever used one before? And if so, what?

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:14 AM »
I've actually not used one.  The only time I've used any sort of finder was with walleyeboater and he was using a humminbird 343 portable.  Just really not sure what I want/need starting out.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:31 AM »
I did lots of research on the topic and chose a FL18 (vex) but alot of good points on the Marcum's too, the movable zoom for example.  I leaned towards vex for the "tried and true" reason, and also I don't anticipate needing a zoom anywhere but on the bottom (walleye)
try to find one used, that's what I did - good luck
Tight lines

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:46 AM »
You are more than welcome to try out my fl8 and fl12 whenever we get ice. Just let me know. I would just steer clear of the ice35. I've used them all and wasn't to fond of the 35. JMO

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I did lots of research on the topic and chose a FL18 (vex) but alot of good points on the Marcum's too, the movable zoom for example.  I leaned towards vex for the "tried and true" reason, and also I don't anticipate needing a zoom anywhere but on the bottom (walleye)
try to find one used, that's what I did - good luck

I've looked for some used and I havent seen anything jumping out at me right now.  Unfortunately I'm gonna be stuck pretty well within my budget, so I don't have a whole lot of wiggle room.  (My wife just had our first baby yesterday so we've got some new expenses this winter)
You are more than welcome to try out my fl8 and fl12 whenever we get ice. Just let me know. I would just steer clear of the ice35. I've used them all and wasn't to fond of the 35. JMO

Thanks, I appreciate that.  I was wondering about the humminbird.  I've never heard anyone mention anything about them.  I've always heard about the Vex's and Marcum's.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #52 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:36 PM »
I am a Vex guy, but I did get a Humminbird last year.  I like it, just havent gotten use to all the settings yet. 

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Oct 25, 2011, 05:03 PM »
385ci is one bad machine. But if I was gonna buy a true flasher it would be the marcum vx1 pro. My buddy has one and its awesome too. More power than vex and zoom to boot!

Offline perch on ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Oct 25, 2011, 06:34 PM »
I cant speak for the 35, but I use the 55 and love it.  I think cabelas has a deal on the 45 right now for 350 after rebate.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 25, 2011, 06:55 PM »
There is a FL-18 on the for sale board for $300!
Fish on!

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #56 on: Oct 25, 2011, 07:02 PM »
I am a Vex guy, but any flasher will make you a better fisherman.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Oct 25, 2011, 07:20 PM »
I would stay away from hummingbird just for the simple reason that well before ice season to well after ice season you can always count on all the stores around me at least to have a whole shelf full of hummingbirds. They never seem to be able to keep the marcums or vexilars on the self. Seems they can't give the birds away. I have never heard or seen anyone using one,  but I have heard nothing but good from the people using vexilars and marcums. I love my vexilar.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #58 on: Oct 25, 2011, 10:26 PM »
I agree it's great to have.  Never leave home without it, intenially.  I don't however think it's a must depending on how you fish.  I fish half my ice season at night in shallow water with tip ups.  I don't need it then.  I do rely more on my gps to run breaks down than I do with a flasher.  I also don't use it sight fishing for panfish in shallow water.  I got out last year with a friend and he turned me on to that deal.  Really fun.  You won't regret getting one but for those maybe asking the same question, it's not necessary espically if you fish how I do.  In my opinion only though.  No expert here, just my thoughts.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #59 on: Oct 29, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Felix you can barrow anything I own, EXCEPT my money and my girl!!! ;)2
Even than secret agent crappie hole! ??
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.