Author Topic: Fly Reel: Revisited  (Read 23973 times)

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
Fly Reel: Revisited
« on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Just a follow up to the post on fly reels for ice rods ... just HAD to try it for myself. Got a new Okuma SLV 4/5 yesterday, so I spooled it up last night and put it on my Thorne Bros. Quiverstick. I went out for a few hours today just to try it out, it was even better than I could imagine! The sensitivity is awesome, even more than a spinning reel for some reason, I suppose the arbor transmits vibrations better?  The drag is great as well, I caught a 6lb L.M.B. on my 3rd drop testing it out ... needless to say it was a tad bigger than I had hoped for to start out, but I was able to control her runs and land her no problem on 3# test. (released unharmed after pic)

Of coarse the bite was indeed slow, but I was able to drop the hammer on some bluegills to take home for dinner, most over 9" and two that went 10".  Had to weed through to get the bigger sizes but it was too much fun. I'm totally HOOKED man ... I won't be able to take this combo out of my hands for some time ...

If you are thinking about it, you have to try it.  Not for everyone, but for some you'll love it!  ;D

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fly Reel: Revisited
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:31 PM »
I have yet to have a slow day like that on he ice this season...

I put two cheapo fly reels on my jiggin rods.

Will never again consider a spinning reel.
Put alot of backing on the fly reel to increase the circumference and your line pickup rate  increases dramatically and less coiling of the mono.

No grease or bails to freeze,
no backlash,
no tangles if you catch a loop across the bail,
no birdsnests caused by loops
they look cool on a jig rod.
they are much lighter than the lightest spinning reel.

My fly reels have little if any drag. Once you get used to palming the reel, you really don't need one - e.g.  centerpin reels..

Good post..

Offline bbrian7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2011, 12:40 AM »
i have never used a fly reel.they look really cool on a jig rod. i was wondering how the line release works on those ,do you have to manually let line out to get the jig down the hole. or will a 3mm fiska for example drop with its own weight with the release of something like on a spinning reel?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:47 AM »
Manually pull line off the spool.  That's pretty much the only drawback, but once you get fast at doing it, it's the same as frozen line on the spool of the spinning reel that you have to pull off.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline crispycritter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:44 AM »
changed out my reels also they work great 
life is not a journey to the grave with the expectation of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;but rather to (skid in) broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW what a ride

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:08 AM »
Here is how well I like mine.

Offline crispycritter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:43 AM »
nice rigs love that case also I'm going to get myself one of those
life is not a journey to the grave with the expectation of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;but rather to (skid in) broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW what a ride

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:12 AM »
nice rigs love that case also I'm going to get myself one of those

The Otter Rod Box is a great case. I could probably sneak a 6th rod/ reel combo in the case if I tried.

Craig

Offline rjm123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:40 AM »
do you guys reel fish in, or pull them in by hand?

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:49 AM »
  Do you guys ever put fly reels on your panfish rods, or just jigging rods? The lists of why's tha Drakutta liste made me grimace as i read them, as I have had all that happen to me. I also have a few cheapo reels around the house. There is just not that much that can go wrong with a fly reel

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Craigthor that Otter case is awesome ... how much are those $80?  May have to get one of those. Just got a new Otter Pro sled too. I may have to get a few more fly reels!  Also, what size reel did you put on which rods Craigthor? Looks like a quiverstick, noodle, sweetheart, and perch with 2/3 and 4/5 reels?  One more question, what did you use for backing?  I had some tipup line, but it feels like it adds a lot of weight, maybe because it's waxed line. Is there something better and lighter I can use like Dacron?  I used 38 lb tipup line, then some 20# Fireline, then my top-shot of 3# Sufix Magic Ice. I may get another 4/5 for my Thorne Bros perch rod too.

Yes the line is just pulled off ... I have my drag set to a bluegill can still run, but I can stop anything with my palm.  Last night I started reeling backwards to drop my lure, that way I could jig while dropping and get them fired up.  Great to watch them on my Vex in anticipation. Fun as all heck too!

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:38 AM »
do you guys reel fish in, or pull them in by hand?

Reel 'em right up.  The Marmish and Jonttu rods are done by hand.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:44 AM »
i have never used a fly reel.they look really cool on a jig rod. i was wondering how the line release works on those ,do you have to manually let line out to get the jig down the hole. or will a 3mm fiska for example drop with its own weight with the release of something like on a spinning reel?

I thought about that too before I got it, turns out that dropping the lure is much easier than I thought. Won't pull off by itself, you have to pull it out by hand, or reel backwards. 

I removed the "clicker" pin from the drag set so I wouldn't get annoyed by constant clicks, nice and stealthy now ... don't want everyone around me to get tuned in to what's going on ... sssshhhh! ;)

Offline MULLSKINNER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:57 AM »
you need a smaller reel  ;D

http://www.dennisonspecialtyflyreels.com/servlet/Categories?category=Fly+Reels

i don't use a flyreel yet for ice fishing i use mostly marmish ..but them little dennisons would fit the bill on small ice rods ...
MULLSKINNER......
VEXILAR FL8
Aqua-Vu SV100
FRABILL "COMMANDO"
FENWICK HMG ICE RODS ...
Marmish ice rods
G. LOOMIS ICE RODS...

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Actually I wanted a 4/5 because of the line take ... around 9" per turn.  With a fly rod, that's not an issue since you aren't using it to reel in the fish each time.  With an ice rod, you hold (and use) it totally different, I actually palm it right in my hand and reel up after setting the hook.  I almost got the 2/3 reel but didn't because I wanted faster line pickup.  Those bluegills and crappie especially tend to swim straight up sometimes, so I need to keep up when they do.  A 2/3 would work fine, but I'd lose 1" per turn, doesn't sound like much but it adds up.

Offline gillz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2011, 11:39 AM »
they are great i would recommend using them to anyone who even thinks about it. no frozen drag and it is easier to work the bigger fish i find.
live to fish or fish to live... i choose the first

Offline MULLSKINNER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Actually I wanted a 4/5 because of the line take ... around 9" per turn.  With a fly rod, that's not an issue since you aren't using it to reel in the fish each time.  With an ice rod, you hold (and use) it totally different, I actually palm it right in my hand and reel up after setting the hook.  I almost got the 2/3 reel but didn't because I wanted faster line pickup.  Those bluegills and crappie especially tend to swim straight up sometimes, so I need to keep up when they do.  A 2/3 would work fine, but I'd lose 1" per turn, doesn't sound like much but it adds up.

yea i got you didn't know you was reeling .thought you was strp'n line ..makes perfect since bigger reel more line gain ..
can i post your pic's on a flyfishing forum ? i think the guy's would love it ..
MULLSKINNER......
VEXILAR FL8
Aqua-Vu SV100
FRABILL "COMMANDO"
FENWICK HMG ICE RODS ...
Marmish ice rods
G. LOOMIS ICE RODS...

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Where can you get cheap fly reels for ice fishing?  I want to try one. I'm sick of spinning reels now after line twist which causes tangles, and I'm really upset because I bought a new $30 spinning reel and the drag freezes up which can be bad with 2 lb test.  I broke off a HUGE bass the other day because the stupid drag wouldn't work, and a 13 1/2 inch crappie almost broke off for the same reason.  I only own 3 combos so I am forced to use it and want to get a fly reel.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2011, 12:52 PM »
Craigthor that Otter case is awesome ... how much are those $80?  May have to get one of those.

I just picked one up @ Cabelas E-Hartford.  They're marked $75. 
20% off winter clearance = $60. They had one more there.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:05 PM »
yea i got you didn't know you was reeling .thought you was strp'n line ..makes perfect since bigger reel more line gain ..
can i post your pic's on a flyfishing forum ? i think the guy's would love it ..

No problem ... let me know what they think.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:10 PM »
Where can you get cheap fly reels for ice fishing?  I want to try one. I'm sick of spinning reels now after line twist which causes tangles, and I'm really upset because I bought a new $30 spinning reel and the drag freezes up which can be bad with 2 lb test.  I broke off a HUGE bass the other day because the stupid drag wouldn't work, and a 13 1/2 inch crappie almost broke off for the same reason.  I only own 3 combos so I am forced to use it and want to get a fly reel.
I and many tohers have bought from Tom at the Bears den in New hampshire. Great reels and super small and lightweight. Do an EBA search for- fishon bearcub fly reel. Excellent reels.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:12 PM »
What are you guys using for backer?

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:21 PM »

Unfortunately a good one isn't cheap, my Okuma sells for $60 but I found one new on Ebay for $45 which isn't bad considering it's all aluminum and has an infinite anti-reverse and awesome drag system. That's one route as I know they still have some available. You can get a reel for much cheaper, but I wanted something nice and I did have some recommendations for the Okuma SLV. The aluminum isn't an issue as I thought it could be, it was pretty cold the other day and I had no issues and it didn't phase me. Ask around for some other recommendations if the Okuma is out of your budget, there are a lot of options out there such as Hobbs Creek, L.L. Bean, and many more ... just do your homework to make sure it's worthy.  They are a great addition to the arsenal.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:24 PM »
What are you guys using for backer?

Dacron mostly.  You definitely want to fill the spool up to get max. retrieval per crank.

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:12 PM »
I and many tohers have bought from Tom at the Bears den in New hampshire. Great reels and super small and lightweight. Do an EBA search for- fishon bearcub fly reel. Excellent reels.
I have no idea what reel you are referring too. Do you have a web address?
KeepfishN4fun

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:47 PM »
Craigthor that Otter case is awesome ... how much are those $80?  May have to get one of those. Just got a new Otter Pro sled too. I may have to get a few more fly reels!  Also, what size reel did you put on which rods Craigthor? Looks like a quiverstick, noodle, sweetheart, and perch with 2/3 and 4/5 reels?  One more question, what did you use for backing?  I had some tipup line, but it feels like it adds a lot of weight, maybe because it's waxed line. Is there something better and lighter I can use like Dacron?  I used 38 lb tipup line, then some 20# Fireline, then my top-shot of 3# Sufix Magic Ice. I may get another 4/5 for my Thorne Bros perch rod too.

Yes the line is just pulled off ... I have my drag set to a bluegill can still run, but I can stop anything with my palm.  Last night I started reeling backwards to drop my lure, that way I could jig while dropping and get them fired up.  Great to watch them on my Vex in anticipation. Fun as all heck too!

24" Power Noodle with an SLV 2/3
26" Quiverstick with an SLV 2/3
28" Outside Power Noodle with an SLV 2/3 but also ordered a 4/5 to go with it
28" Outside Sweetheart Panfish with an SLV 4/5
32" Outside Sweetheart Perch with an SLV4/5

I purchased by reels from Thorne Bros as for the cost they will spool them with backing and a bit of ice line for the price listed. Makes for a great deal when you have several rods to fill.

Craig

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:15 PM »
Go to EBAY and in the Search box type in Fishon reel.It will bring you to his E Bay store.The Fishon Bearcub may be sold out as alot of others have purchased them. They are 2 3/4 " in diameter and only weigh 3.5 ozs. We are all using these on 16-20"  rods. He sells the #20 dacron backing also.We use either the Flourescent Geern or Orange and then put on #3 Floro line.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Well, I found an old 5/6 weight cortland crown II fly reel I had in my garage and spooled it up with 2 lb test floro and attached it to my custom UL 51" rod and I am excited to try it out tomorrow for gills.  It is a little big, but it will do for now.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:12 PM »

He's talking about this one ... I think:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Bear-Cub-Raised-Pillar-Classic-Fly-Reel-New-/150554906428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230dc58f3c

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:17 PM »
You guys want to save real dollars buy slater canepole reels. They make a small and a large version less than $5.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.