The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: >> Off - Season Thread <<  (Read 36859 times)

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
>> Off - Season Thread <<
« on: May 02, 2017, 12:37 AM »
Since many of us pop in here during the off season, why not have a thread for everything "not" hardwater related. Share whatever & whenever. Let's get this started !!

Here's some pics we've taken over the past couple months or so. Hope you enjoy !!

Wise River looks even smaller with all the snow around it !!

Some visitors in the neighbors back yard !!

Busted through some snow into one of our favorite campgrounds for a picnic !!

Playtime.....Another toy for exploring !!

Elk, wondering what the heck is this guy doing up here !!

Avalanche across the scenic byway between Wise River & Polaris !!

50*F and the dog apparently needed some shade !!

Break time for the wife & I !!

Caught some visitors in my yard thanks to Vivint !!

A natural spring that flows off the mountain year round.....Little iced up tho !!

There's a stream down there somewhere !!

Again with the avalanche !!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: >> Off - Season Thread <<
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:09 AM »
SpitzoMT nice group of photos local deer seem to like your property. Thanks for starting this topic it will be interesting to see what gets posted.
Steve

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:36 AM »
Thanks Steve !! Funny thing is that my property is smack dab in the middle of town - LOL. They truly have become "local deer".
Wayne

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:38 AM »
you know I like to stop in and check what's happening... here's a few from spring so far

Griz country

Shed Hunting

earlier this week

Oh yeah got a new pup as well... Sheamus

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:05 PM »
Most excellent Kyle.....The grizzly tracks are amazing.....Thanks for contributing the pics !!

By the way.....the wife & I are hopefully gonna make it down your way towards the end of summer. If we do it will more than likely be a week or two before Labor Day :unsure:. We haven't been down that way in a few years which is so unlike us because for years we always made it down there at least once a year. Maybe we can hook up & have a beverage or two if we make it down @). Take care !!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 09:28 AM »
That would be awesome!  :afro:

Offline Lastdollar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOTTA LOVE IT
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Great Pic's thanks for sharing..... ELK on my bucket list....
Brock

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 06:37 AM »
BackCountry Kyle thank you for posting your photos. Have fun with your new family addition he is a good looking dog.
Steve

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 10:20 AM »
Thanks, I'll post more as we go along. He's a great pup... a work in progress of course, but a real sweet dog. First Doberman we've had, last 3 have been boxers. Can't wait to make some memories and share some adventures with him.

I think it's important for kids to have pets, especially puppies and dogs in general. It teaches them a lot about life. From raising and training to love and loss... good and bad, better or worse! It's all a part of it, I have good memories of all the dogs that I've shared life with and I want that for all my boys as well.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Hydro-Dipped a deer skull! Kinda Cool  @)

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Damn Kyle. That dipped skull is awesome!

Spitzo. Great thread idea.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 12:02 AM »
A big  :thumbsup: on the skull Kyle.....T4S !!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 01:42 AM »
Since the weather has been cooperative the past couple days, I've been fairly busy.....busy exploring on the ATV that is. Fleecer Mountain area yesterday & the Homestake/Pipestone area today. Ended up at 60 miles for the two days.

The Fleecer area has a ton of snow remaining. I was riding on 1 - 2 feet of hard snowmobile packed snow for several miles. The higher in elevation I got the more snow I encountered. Didn't feel like getting stuck, so ended up turning around when I started breaking through on about 4 feet of snow. Came across a fresh set of bear tracks in the snow that crossed the road & were heading to lower elevation. I was lucky enough to see him on my way back to the truck. I was cruising about 35 mph on the main road, came around a corner & there he was just ambling down the road. Saw him for maybe 5 seconds. He was small, just a youngster. His front half was really dark brown (almost black) & his back half was rust colored. Always nice seeing some wildlife !!

The Homestake/Pipestone area today was the complete opposite of yesterday. No snow, just dusty roads & trails. It was a frickn' circus up there. Campers all over the place, UTV's, ATV's & MX bikes cruising everywhere. I went by Delmoe Lake & it is completely ice free.....open water. I glassed down there to see 2 boats & a pontoon on the water. Who would have thought?!?!

Fleecer Mountain.

Looking @ the Highlands from Fleecer.

Old chimney. Odd that there was no signs of a structure ever being around it.

Looking down on Delmoe Lake.

Looking southeast at the Tobacco Roots.

Old cabin. Funny thing was that it had newer type shingles on it.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Great shots Wayne! Beautiful Areas!  :) Gotta love the spring explorer bug that bites this time of year,...

Just try to keep us inside, I dare ya!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 07:33 PM »
BackCountry Kyle the Hydro dip process gives the skull a different look when finished. The shot of Sheamus next to the skull and your truck shows how much growing he has left to do until he reaches adult size.
 SpitzoMT another series of great photos beautiful scenery you have out there in Montana.
Steve

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Look his sister. Only year or so older.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 05:53 AM »
Strippnthedream,BackCountry Kyle gentlemen hopefully you can answer this question are the ears on Dobermans sometimes cropped. When I first looked at Kyle's photo of Sheamus I thought he was some type of Lab .
Strippinthedream curious what type of bird is in the photo with your dog? thank you for sharing the photo.
Steve

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 06:45 AM »
Nice pic Stripp.....Holding a few pheasant are ya ??.....T4S !!

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 08:31 AM »
Mines a lab/catahula cross. Best natural hunting dog I've ever had. An she is still very young. The boy is holding a limit of pheasants from opening day this year.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 10:37 AM »
2017 Idaho Turkey huntturkey#1hammer timeday 2looks gooddoble up on jakeswhat a fun weekend all for the kidos
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 04:19 PM »
@ Stripp - Priceless pic.....T4S !!

@ G fish - Gobble Gobble Gobble.....Flat out awesome pics !! Great to see you & the family have been enjoying your off-season & had a prosperous hunt.....T4S !!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 05:12 AM »
Strippinthedream thank you for the information on your dog. I'm not familiar with the Catahula bred will have to do some research. Nice photo of your son with the pheasants is he allowed to hunt in your state with an accompanying adult licensed hunter?
G fish great photos what bred of turkey do you hunt for in Idaho. I'm located in south eastern New York we have the eastern turkey here I believe there are four different breeds of turkey spread across the continental United States.
Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 05:43 AM »
Strippnthedream I did a search on the American Kennel Club's web site and found some info. on the Catahoula Leopard dog . The breed originated in North Central Lousiana around Catahoula Lake. (Catahoula is from Chocktow Indian origin and means sacred lake) because of the spots on dogs coats it is called leopard. This breed is listed and shown among the Herding dog group. Your dog being a mixed breed with Lab retriever as you have stated should make a good bird hunting dog with proper training. You and the family enjoy your pets.
You have to love Ice Shanty never know what a members post will lead you to discover.
Steve

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Good looking kids, dogs, and birds!  :thumbsup:

Awesome shots G-fish, so cool to spend some spring mornings in the blind. That's quality time right there...

Dana- I love her face! she's a pretty girl. We'll have to get those two together sometime, maybe she can teach Sheamus a thing or two(or 3). We've been working on all his obedience but he seems to be a fairly natural retriever, which surprises me. My ma has been visiting and she calls him a Doberman Retriever! Not sure how he'll ever do in the field but its what my family is in to so he'll figure it out...

Steve- I thought Sheamus looked like a hound when we first got him cuz his ears and paws were so big and he has so much skin to grow into... The majority of Dobies have cropped ears and our breeder even tried to steer us that way. We voted on it as a family and it was 3-2 against... It has to be done before 12 weeks to form properly, but its only cosmetic. There is no real benefit or ill effects either way. You will start to see more and more floppy-eared, long-tailed Dobermans and boxers because a lot of European countries are outlawing the practice of docking and cropping and it's gaining popularity in the states. All our boxers were floppy eared and I think it makes them look less intimidating which is fine by me. I am a fan of the tail docking however, those things can knock a kid out cold! :o Plus they do that shortly after birth so you don't get a choice.

Thanks again for posting fellas, always nice to visit on The Shanty...
Keep the good times rolling!  :tipup:

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 05:37 PM »
mr. clean the turkeys that we got in Idaho where Merriam's but think the have Rio and a cross of the two.

Thanks Spitzo and Kyle, was my first as well as my son's. so I'm not sure who was more excited!!
think its cool to see what everyone dose in the off season. I agree Kyle keep the post and Pics rolling.

Will.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 06:28 PM »
The site never totally dies during the summer. Some of us are on here all year 'round! This thread just will make it that much better!! Thanks for starting it!  :thumbsup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 06:26 AM »
G fish thank you for the reply I believe there are four major breeds of turkeys in the continental U.S. Eastern, Merriam,Rio and Osceola . If a turkey hunter gets one bird from each breed  they call it a grand slam .
BackCountry Kyle I forgot about the tail docking I'm always cautious around Dobermans since many people have them trained to be watch/guard dogs. I have met a few Dobermans that were some of the friendliest and most playful dogs. I understand your feeling on the tail docking when larger breed dogs get excited and their tails start moving they can give you a good beating on the legs so can see a small child getting injured by an excited dogs tail.
Steve

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 07:33 AM »
Morning everyone !! As of 5am this morning I got my four night shifts out of the way. Three days off now & it looks like the weather is going to be nice. The county is cleaning my streets today, so I have to get a car & my snowmobile trailer moved by 7am. Getting some new sidewalk done here at the house. The guys got the old tore out yesterday, will be here today putting in the forms & cement will be poured Wednesday. Considered getting the 5th-wheel out of storage & doing some camping for a couple days, but I bagged that idea & I'm just going to spend my days off doing some more exploring on the ATV. Have a great day !! - Wayne

Not the best pics, but here are the Black Bear tracks I found last week.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Stomped around the mountains some more, took a drive around Hebgen, and some other stuff. The lake is pretty low but man are all the creeks and streams running high now! Won't take long to fill her back up...

As usual some pics to share...

Ever seen a Pelican egg? I think we did...

And now for the spoils of wading through too much snow and way too much deadfall...

Thank goodness its Friday!
Have a good weekend everyone!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Great Pictures everyone:)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.