The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: kent county ice update  (Read 10342 times)

Offline USMC 1371

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: kent county ice update
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Yup, went out to Gun Lake ( I know, not kent county, whatever) and I am offically done with that lake until further notice. I have never caught more dinks in my life. I usually fish it first ice because well, it is the first safe ice. And usually I have to pick and choose but today was rediculous. I caught well over fifty fish in 1 1/2 hours and kept 3. One of the 3 I usually would have thrown back but hey, if I'm going to clean fish I might as well clean three. It's been that way the last three times I've been out there. If you have a kid and just want them to catch fish and don't care about size, go to the state park and fish the channel. Oh, and bring plenty of bait. I went through most of mine on them little bait *****s.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a new lake, maybe north east Kent. Any suggestions? I havent fished any around Cannonsburg.

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:02 PM »
We catch decent perch on Gun Lake almost straight out from the boat launch in 30+ feet of water. Was the lake completely frozen over?

Offline USMC 1371

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:54 PM »
mmmmmmmmm..perch. What boat launch?

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2008, 10:43 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info on the Caledonia area lakes guys. I'd LOVE to get my 3 year old niece out onto the ice catching bluegills. My sister CAN fish (she had no choice growing up) but it's not her favorite thing to do and my brother-in-law doesn't fish or hunt. It's up to Uncle Matt get the niece and nephew into fishing.

I'll be fishing the Perch Festival this weekend, but may get a chance to get out on Emmens or Campbell next week.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2008, 11:03 PM »
mmmmmmmmm..perch. What boat launch?

The launch inside the State Park. Go straight out till you are almost even with the far tip of the island to your right and move around there in a zigzag pattern until you find them.

Offline Chaddar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:59 PM »
USMC 1371,

Gun Lake hasn't been that bad for me.  The two places I go are Robbins Bay (NW corner of Lake) and SW of Party Island.  My parents have a house on that lake and if you are not familiar with it, buy a lake map at a local gas station.  That lake can go from 3 ft of water to 30 ft in a second.  You have to fish the drop offs.  If you want Walleye, check out Turtle Rock, I've been told the Walleye hang around the drop offs on that side (East Side, North of Chicago Point) of the lake.

Slammerman,

I hope to get our on either Emmons or Campbell later this week.  I'll post an update during the weekend.  Both are good places to take kids.  Take you niece and sister-in-law to Emmons, that way if they get bored, they can go sledding.  That park has some great hills.

Chaddar

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.