The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: St Helen Lake  (Read 2235 times)

Offline fishwendel2

• IceShanty Rookie
St Helen Lake
« on: Jan 20, 2020, 01:12 PM »
Thinking about heading to St Helen this weekend (Jan 24-26) from Ohio and have a couple questions.  We will be walking on the ice, no sleds or quads...how is the access for the general public?  Just looking for good public access points.  Is there a place nearby for bait/info?  Thanks!!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: St Helen Lake
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2020, 01:51 PM »
I'm orginally from Michigan but have lived out in Wyoming for the past 17 years for work in ministry. I come back to Michigan once in the summer and once in the winter to visit my mom and family and to fish. I am currently in Michigan and I was thinking about going to Lake St. Helen early next week to fish for a couple of days. Are there any bait shops in/near the town of St. Helen or within a half hour or so? I spoke to the owner at R Bait and Tackle and he said he didn't even open this year because of the poor start to the ice conditions. I'll  be driving up from southeastern Michigan. I will be walking out and will mainly be fishing for panfish. Is the fishing any better in the first, second, or third sections of the lake? I have a contour map so I will be able to locate some general areas. What side of the lake are access area(s) located? Thanks for any info you might be able to offer and feel free to send me a PM. If you are ever in northern Wyoming near Lovell or Cody, I could show you some good fishing for nice splake and good-sized rainbows, cutthroats, and some browns if you are looking for something different to fish for through the ice. Thanks again.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2020, 03:58 PM »
Lake st helen is a fairly easy lake to fish.... Its depth stays the same almost throughout the entire lake.... Awesome bluegill fishing if you have the energy to cut a bunch of holes and move around..... No size limit on pike because it is a designated duck hatchery not sure on a bag limit for em though as i dont usually target them.... Some giant lmb in there just for fun as well.... There are walleye in there but they are really hard to target and id reccomend a different lake if thats your target species
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2020, 11:11 PM »
Lake st helen is a fairly easy lake to fish.... Its depth stays the same almost throughout the entire lake.... Awesome bluegill fishing if you have the energy to cut a bunch of holes and move around..... No size limit on pike because it is a designated duck hatchery not sure on a bag limit for em though as i dont usually target them.... Some giant lmb in there just for fun as well.... There are walleye in there but they are really hard to target and id reccomend a different lake if thats your target species
Thanks for the reply. If I get up there I will be fishing for bluegills and crappies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.