The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Is it worth it to come up from Ohio?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline swone

• IceShanty Rookie
Is it worth it to come up from Ohio?
« on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:36 AM »
I love to ice fish, but I live in NE Ohio. We get very little ice here in the best of years. I have some free time next week and I just saw that hotels in Traverse City are ridiculously cheap. Would I be able to find decent ice on local lakes within an hour or so from there? Where would be some good lakes to try in that area?  I have never fished in Michigan but I do fairly well in Ohio and have a very lightweight mobile setup to run and gun. I also don't mind having to spud my way to locations, I have been icefishing for 30 plus years on the extremely marginal conditions here in Ohio. Any help or general information is greatly appreciated, I have a big lull in my work schedule for the next few weeks and want to do some fun exploring. Any information I receive in PM will be kept confidential.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is it worth it to come up from Ohio?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:52 AM »
Feeling your pain here in NE Indiana!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:57 AM »
Well it depends on what worth it means to you.... Are there lakes that are being ice fished an hour from traverse city... Absolutely.... But only some lakes... The deeper lakes havent been able to freeze... There is no garuntee that those lakes are going to be fishable this year.... But if you are looking to fish there are bodies of water that are ice covered... I personally havent gotten out yet but aiming for sunday as my target.... It sou ds like you already understand that the ice isnt top notch so a spud is a must have
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline swone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:11 AM »
Well it depends on what worth it means to you.... Are there lakes that are being ice fished an hour from traverse city... Absolutely.... But only some lakes... The deeper lakes havent been able to freeze... There is no garuntee that those lakes are going to be fishable this year.... But if you are looking to fish there are bodies of water that are ice covered... I personally havent gotten out yet but aiming for sunday as my target.... It sou ds like you already understand that the ice isnt top notch so a spud is a must have

That's really what I want to hear, I am just looking to get out and have some fun and explore, I just don't want to come up and be landlocked. I have been toying with the idea of getting the Lund out and going back on Erie, but that's a lot of work in some pretty rugged circumstances. Any suggestions of lakes to try on foot in the northwest lower?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:20 AM »
Im going to lake mitchell sunday in cadillac... Other good lakes include manistee in kalkaska county lake st helen in roscommon county burt lake and mullet lake in cheboygan county.... The last 2 might be tougher on foot... Only lake i can verify is being fished right now is manistee lake i have a buddy that lives right by there... But that is a tough lake to fish you gotta know the pockets in the weeds....im sure lake st helen is being fished though as its a very shallow lake.... Plenty of good panfish in lake st helen.... Im sure there are dozens and dozens of smaller +-50 acre lakes i just dont know being fished as well...

Offline swone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:51 AM »
Thanks for the great information, if you ever want to come down to Erie, we do very well in downtown Cleveland

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Ive really been interested in doin the maumee run this spring... Your ever go?

Offline swone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:22 PM »
I have never been over there, it's a good two-hour drive from where I live, and it has always been described to me as a madhouse, pigpile, and other terms that can't be shared on a family-friendly forum! It is undoubtedly a huge concentration of walleye, but I just don't want to fight the crowd when all those fish are going to mosey over to my neighborhood in a few weeks!

Offline drycold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:34 PM »
I have done Maumee it is not a madhouse. sometimes 5-10 feet between people depending where you go.sometimes your by yourself.
its easy to fish when you get the swing down proper. 6 fish limit per day all year except Sandusky 4 for spring.
but lately I have waited for the fish to travel to Cleveland/fairport.

Offline campcook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:30 PM »
I live in Toledo and fish the Walleye run. Plenty of areas to fish some more crowded then others. Bring plenty of curly tails, weightless jig heads and sinkers with swivels on both ends anywhere from 1/2 oz to 1 oz. Depends on how fast the current is moving and water level for that particular day on what weight you use.

Offline swone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:39 PM »
I probably never will go over for the Maumee run, sitting in my comfortable boat as opposed to standing in frigid water after driving over two hours...you get the picture. Now, back to my original question, is anyone out ice-fishing on the waters in the northern half of the lower peninsula or should I get my deposit back on Sunday and schedule one of the jobs I have on hold for next week and try again later in the month? I don't need advice on where to go or good spots, just a report on ice conditions, please. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has any questions about walleye fishing in Cleveland I will gladly answer any questions.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Cadillac Lake and Lake Mitchell in Cadillac still have fishable ice but the bite has been slooooow... and small. I would say that many of the lakes, but certainly not all, are good to go north of Hwy. 55. I would keep an eye on the reports here as well as finding bait shops in cities near the lakes you want to fish...usually good information from these guys. Good luck.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:08 PM »
Yea theres definitely guys fishing up there. I would go for it. I'm planning on going up north eastern lower next weekend, mainly because I had stuff to do this weekend or else I was gonna go up. I would research a handful of varying size lakes incase you dont like the conditions on one you could try another. Good luck
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline swone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:20 PM »
I appreciate the information. Some of the guys on Ohio Game Fishing have been helping me out with lake selection so I think I have a pretty good game plan. I'm pumped to get back on the ice, the two days we had down here only served to rouse my appetite up without bedding her back down.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2020, 03:51 PM »
And there’s this it might help http://bucsfishingreport.com/
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:33 PM »
Might want to look at the weather forecast for Michigan this weekend.
Rain, lots of rain, Freezing Rain, possibly lots of Freezing Rain and Snow...depending on where,could
be a fare amount of Snow....oh and Wind, yes lots of wind.
Stay Safe
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline swone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Just wanted to thank everyone, I had a great time at St. Helen, and a big thanks to Justin at Trail's End Motel in St. Helen. Fishing was good and I can't wait to get back up there. My son and I are planning a camping trip up there next summer, just a fantastic place to enjoy the outdoors!!!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2020, 05:32 PM »
Did you fish St. Helen?  What did you catch?

Offline Scum_Frog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2020, 09:07 AM »
got a fish report on st helens for us ohio guys? How did you do!?!?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Ice on st helen is good to go... Idk if vehicles are on it yet but sleds n quads forbsure

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.