The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Houghton Lake's First Ice/Higgins as Well  (Read 2174 times)

str8781

Houghton Lake's First Ice/Higgins as Well
« on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:23 PM »
Okay guys, enough for the honeymoon phase, the fishing will start soon.  I'm currently in Texas, so it's up to you guys to give me a little fishin' fix.  What will you be doing (or are you doing) for these first few weeks of fishing this year? 
~Str8781

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Houghton Lake's First Ice/Higgins as Well
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2005, 01:12 PM »
I'll bet Houghton Lake has quite a few on it this Morning.  Higgins will be a while, if it's like other Winters.  Higgins does not freeze as early. 
I enjoy that perfect peace -- that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at it's maximum, only to the man who has given up golf.

Offline Smokeeater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Solitude without the Lonliness
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2005, 07:32 PM »
Greetings to everyone.  I am relatively new to the site.  I have a few posts on here from last year, and a few on MFF.com. 

Probably will try Portage in Jackson county and maybe a few lakes in the Oakland, Livingston, and Washtenaw county regions.  Hopefully we will hit Higgins in early February. (Weather permitting)
You can't catch em if you don't get out there!

str8781

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:24 AM »
I know that Houghton is fishable right now and that Higgins will take some extra time, but is there any chance that Higgins might be fishable before Christmas?  I usually go for the smelt and perch, so I'm not talking about the center.  And how is the fishing along the south shore?  I usually fish the west and north ends, but am interested in the south as well. 
~Str8781

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:19 AM »
I have not been up in three weeks so I can't speak about the ice conditions.  I have done real well on very nice perch out from the South Higgins Lake State Park.  Couple times in the past two years.  I was in 32' or so.  Not too far to walk.  I'd be real careful of the ice.  I would be surprised if you could get out this early.  Even Christmas time would, I think be rare.
I enjoy that perfect peace -- that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at it's maximum, only to the man who has given up golf.

Offline Smokeeater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:34 PM »
I have family in Roscommon, and they tell me that Higgins has not froze over completly yet. It will usually be mid January for good solid and safe ice.  My cousin tells me that they have been riding snowmobiles on Houghton lake for about a week.  Good luck and be safe to all that venture out.

Offline Smokeeater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2005, 04:39 PM »
str8781 -

We fish the south end (straight out from the south state park) quite regularly each season.  Last year we found smelt at night in about 23'.  Lake trout on tip ups in about 92'. Try close to shore for some good pike action as well. Hope this helps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.