Author Topic: Jiffy Ice Scout Ice Thickness Tool?  (Read 1878 times)

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jiffy Ice Scout Ice Thickness Tool?
« on: Jan 09, 2022, 09:16 AM »
Not sure what to make of this... To test ice thickness, we usually let the new guy walk ahead of us with a chisel poking along...

However, this tool seems neat for not only checking ice thickness but also test holes to drop the ducer through to check depth. I know that on clear ice, I am able to do this through w/o a hole but have had limited success with doing that and almost never have clear ice. So... that got me to thinking this could also be a benefit to drill an adjacent hole to your jigging hole to keep the ducer line out of the way...

Has anyone purchased / used one of these? I likely won't buy one but seems like it could be beneficial.

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jiffy Ice Scout Ice Thickness Tool?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2022, 11:36 AM »
This looks like the best way to drill a transducer hole. The price is right as well.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2022, 04:10 PM »
The only thing I don't like about it is that some people will probably use it instead of a spud when testing ice.  I'm reminded of the old cartoon with someone sawing off a tree limb while sitting on it.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2022, 09:28 PM »
Looks like a solution looking for a problem to me. Spud bar to check if its safe, beyond that I dont care how thick it is.. and if I did I would just use my auger and a tape measure like most people.

Suppose it would be a good transducer hole tool, like already suggested. I suppose it would also be great for hole hopping and checking areas for fish. Two guys walking, one pop the little hole and drop ducer down, if theres fish then have your buddy drill a hole with auger otherwise keep moving. Could be a good battery saver I suppose.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2022, 10:10 AM »
The only thing I don't like about it is that some people will probably use it instead of a spud when testing ice.  I'm reminded of the old cartoon with someone sawing off a tree limb while sitting on it.

I think you are trying to suggest that some may use it as a chisel? I agree. My wife uses knives as screwdrivers. Ever since she ruined my best fillet knife, I now keep a bright handle screwdriver in all of the drawers that have knives in them.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2022, 10:19 AM »
Looks like a solution looking for a problem to me. Spud bar to check if its safe, beyond that I dont care how thick it is.. and if I did I would just use my auger and a tape measure like most people. .

Same could be said for likely most of the gear we have?

Will never forget the first ice fishing trip with my brother many years ago. His friend let him borrow a spud/chisel. This guy also had a hand auger and power auger. He was a CAF and retracted from his offer of either of the augers, stating that we should be fine with a chisel. He was out recent to our trip an he should have known better than suggesting for us to cut through 12-13" of ice with a spud. I literally left the ice after 30 minutes and went to the closest tackle shop for a good hand auger.

So.... most of what we buy is to supplement and improve our chances..

I say all of this as I'm trying to justify buying some blue tipz alarms. Not for night fishing but just for the coolness factor of hearing an alarm along with seeing a flag go up.  ;D

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2022, 04:06 PM »
I think you are trying to suggest that some may use it as a chisel? I agree. My wife uses knives as screwdrivers. Ever since she ruined my best fillet knife, I now keep a bright handle screwdriver in all of the drawers that have knives in them.

No, I was thinking more along the lines of how you are positioned when drilling a hole.  If I'm checking ice thickness, I don't think I want to be standing in the same spot I'm checking.  But now that you mention it, I can see it being used for other things it isn't intended for, especially if you take kids along.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2022, 04:10 PM »
It would be decent for a transducer hole but if not checked and your ducer freezes in that would really suck getting out.my ducer freezes to the side in a 5" hole sometimes.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2022, 08:13 PM »
Where I work in the Arctic they often times have to drill into the ice when they're going to be working on it.
So say they have to cross some ice to get to a pipeline or something or have one that crosses the ice.
And I need to take some equipment out there such as a dyna haul with a knuckle boom crane on it.
Well somebody's got to drill the ice to make sure it's either Frozen to the bottom of the pond or that it's thick enough to drive on safely.
We've always used small 2-in drill bits for that.
But this tool maybe a better for such applications.
That and the transducer hole are about the only uses I can really see for this.
Like most people I use a spud bar in the early season to thump my way out.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.