Author Topic: Getting back into the ice fishing after a few years away  (Read 669 times)

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi here everyone, well its, lets hope things start getting back to normal soon (we can hope).
A little background from me.
I am John (53 in March 2022), I live in the U.K. and every winter (usually until covid travel restrictions cam about), I travel to Canada and visit my relations in Saskatchewan and I spend a week or so ice fishing at Whiteswan Lake near Whelan Bay.
Well I won’t be coming back until 2023 (due to surgery on my knee and financial aspects spending several thousands on rebuilding my house).
When I do return I want to get back into the feel good factor of ice fishing. What I am asking for is advice on equipment and gear. Ideally looking for good special offers or deals to pick up so I am ready for when I return.
I fish in a fixed ice hut made of wood with 4 fishing holes in (2 of us fit in there with lots of room to spare), currently just hand lining, the ice hut is heated so nice and warm.  (images are shown to give an idea of size of hut- the red one is from the internet but looks similar to the one i use, the other 2 are the actual hut.
Thanks for the advice.
John

1.   What ice rod and reel would you recommend.
2.   What lures would work best for catching lake trout.

John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Getting back into the ice fishing after a few years away
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2022, 06:05 PM »
It looks like you posted the same thing in the Canada forum and received many replies.  https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=373725.0
Good Luck!
- Joe

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Getting back into the ice fishing after a few years away
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2022, 05:25 AM »
Thanks Joe.
John in Lancashire , UK.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.