Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Live Baits and Plastics

Looking for a worm carrier

(1/2) > >>

badger132:
The styrofoam containers worms come in are OK- insulated, light, small, but they have a couple of problems:

They pop open and fill your gear with dirt and worms.

They get mashed and broken easily.

You can't get the worms out of the bottom without losing half your dirt.

Has anyone bought or made a better solution?

meandcuznalfy:
Bait Puck II from Strike master, I use one for open water. They're insulated, lid screws on and can hold a couple dozen. I replace the the dirt with worm bedding. They last a long time this way, just rotate bedding out every couple of weeks.

zcm_82:

--- Quote from: meandcuznalfy on Jan 24, 2021, 05:34 PM ---Bait Puck II from Strike master, I use one for open water. They're insulated, lid screws on and can hold a couple dozen. I replace the the dirt with worm bedding. They last a long time this way, just rotate bedding out every couple of weeks.

--- End quote ---
x2 for that in the winter. I keep the bottom empty, keeps them from freezing if you leave the puck on the ice.

In the summer, I've just used one of these for years with some small holes drilled in the lid. I've been using the same one for 4 or 5 years now. They aren't insulated, though, so you do need to keep them cool. I put mine in a little insulated drink bag with an ice pack in the bottom, and they are good all day, even on 80-90° days.

https://www.target.com/p/ziploc-twist-39-n-loc-container-8oz/-/A-77378113?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google&fndsrc=tmnv&DFA=71700000072096957&CPNG=PLA_DVM%2B0060H00000rJ4QFQA0-+SCJ-2020-Ziploc-Search+2H-Flight&adgroup=PLA_Ziploc_Bags&LID=700000001393753pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9022158&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyN-g3N-17gIVsfLACh2bmAVaEAQYBCABEgKUt_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rebelss:

--- Quote from: Snitch#8 on Jan 24, 2021, 05:59 PM ---I keep worms in the summer in a small cooler filled with moss.  Dirt makes too much of a mess in the boat.  Every once in awhile I'll take the moss out and wash it in a bucket of water and squeeze the excess water out and put it back in the cooler.  Then I replace the worms.  In the winter, I use old pill bottles for my waxies and spikes.  I use to use a puck but found the pill bottles fit better in my pocket.  And, the wife lets me keep em in the fridge!  That folks is a biggie.

--- End quote ---

Exactly. Sphagnum moss. I used to raise 'em. They eat the stuff and stay lively and "springy", don't get that apathetic "watered down" state. I learned that from a bass tourney guy many moons ago. He also owned a floral shop and provided me with all the moss I wanted, in return for all the worms he wanted. I'd sink a couple styro beer coolers in the ground in a shady place, and toss the top on. Bring it in the garage in the winter, then back outside in the Spring.

zcm_82:
I never keep a ton, maybe 3 dozen. My yard is a crawler magnet, so I can go pick as many as I want at night basically anytime it rains.

I have a sneaking suspicion the ridiculous abundance of crawlers in the yard might have something to do with my septic tank being one of those 100 year old brick cistern types  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version