Author Topic: Bands on split handle reelseats?  (Read 4813 times)

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bands on split handle reelseats?
« on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:10 PM »
I just bought a couple rods ( St. Croix) that have the split handled reelseat.On all my other rods I have a straight cork handle and the rubber bands to affix a reel to the rod slide on them good using the plastic cone.How does anyone affix their reels to a split handle reelseat? The plastic cone is too short to meet the upper half of the handle. Thanks in advance.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bands on split handle reelseats?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:17 PM »
A castration band expander is what you need.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:41 PM »
A castration band expander is what you need.

Agree. Made my life much easier than the “cone”.  Got mine at Tractor Supply for under $10 if you have one near buy.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:48 PM »
Believe folks are using a piece of golf club tube...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:54 PM »
In all honesty, bands kinda suck IMO.  They work ok for smaller fish, but the tension on your reel flexes the bands with a bigger fish, causing your reel to walk.  4 bands can help, but still not as rigid as I like.  I prefer silicone tape, holds firm and easy to clean,  but also needs to be replaced occasionally, so not perfect.  I would use electrical tape before I used bands. 

If you're set on bands, Ace custom rods sells a wider flat band that holds better and are less less likely to roll or indent the handle.  I believe he offers a few colors that glow in the dark.  :o

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:04 PM »
reading this thread reminds me that St. Croix Premier ice rods came with shrink tubing to be used for mounting the reels. I have rod handle shrink tubing and will try that on one of the rods that I built.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Thanks for all that replied.I have used both tapes and neither did I like.I have been using the bands for a longtime and were ez to replace.As for bigger fish loosening the reel up all we have here are panfish.Perch mostly.I will look into one of those tools and also into the wider bands also.

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:58 PM »
I found a great way to attach reels to rods , take the black cap
 from a pounder propane tank cut the top off with utility knife
the ring/band works great attaching reels very cheap and strong
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2019, 10:44 PM »
Not ideal but I have used water pump clamps or tyraps/zipties in the past. I won't buy rods without reel seats anymore. Tape and straps are a pain and seem sort of silly. I wouldn't even consider buying a summer rod without reel seats, and I no longer consider for ice rods either.

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Like mentioned above, Electrical Tape. Had a couple custom rods built last year. The builder said to throw away the bands and use the tape. Been happy with it so far. Sure there are other methods that work well too.
SPIN 2 WIN!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:44 AM »
Best video on tapping reels onto ice rods

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:50 AM »
I made my castration band tool from a 99 cent Walmart funnel cut at a 45 deg angle ..the Cold Snap Pro kit vudeo shows the bridge

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Silicone tape is the thing to use solid, looks good, durable and when removed leaves no sticky residue and does not damage the grip.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:34 PM »
Pretty easy slide on gizmo to make, get the required length of 1 or 1 1/4" pvc pipe used for jet pumps.  At one end,  cut a cross in the end about 2 inches long.  If you trim a bit between the cut slits, you can pinch them together almost to a point.  Slide the reel seat on with a bit of soapy water, slide the pvc pipe onto the rod and slip reel seat off.  Cost, maybe a couple dollars at hardware store.   

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:07 PM »
If you want to try something different, check out the Ice Vice bands. No tools required and I JUST put a set on a split grip rod the other day without any issues. Yes, I am biased but I think you will like them. https://www.eyeconicfishing.com/product/ice-vice-premium-reel-retention-bands-4-pack/
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2019, 05:36 PM »
If you want to try something different, check out the Ice Vice bands. No tools required and I JUST put a set on a split grip rod the other day without any issues. Yes, I am biased but I think you will like them. https://www.eyeconicfishing.com/product/ice-vice-premium-reel-retention-bands-4-pack/

Looks pretty good.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:09 AM »
I've been able to put the Cold Snap bands on split grips just using my fingers.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2019, 02:53 PM »

Looks nice, but at $9.99 for 4 I will pass. All these are is a flat style castration band. I'll keep buying 100 castration bands for $0.99

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Thanks guys! I bought one of those tools to put the bands on the rod.$12 and worked like a charm.No problem using on any of my rods, especially the split grip ones.Much much easier tha cutting off a funnel and roling the bands with your fingers.

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2020, 11:19 AM »
Rescue tape is what I use, leaves no sticky residue, sticks to its self so you don’t remove cork when you remove.
Amazon $9.95  ;)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Looks nice, but at $9.99 for 4 I will pass. All these are is a flat style castration band. I'll keep buying 100 castration bands for $0.99

Not for everybody, but I will say they hold way better than 4 or even 8 bands on your rod... Look a lot better, and feel a lot better as well.. not to mention they wont cut grooves in your cork/foam. You only need one set per rod for the life of your rod, $5. If $5 a rod is way too expensive, then you have a lot more rods than I do!!!

They are not "just a flat style castration band" they were developed and custom made for this purpose, If you see one in person you will see that they look and feel nothing like a castration band.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2020, 06:31 PM »
Not for everybody, but I will say they hold way better than 4 or even 8 bands on your rod... Look a lot better, and feel a lot better as well.. not to mention they wont cut grooves in your cork/foam. You only need one set per rod for the life of your rod, $5. If $5 a rod is way too expensive, then you have a lot more rods than I do!!!

They are not "just a flat style castration band" they were developed and custom made for this purpose, If you see one in person you will see that they look and feel nothing like a castration band.

I have around 50 ice rods. I'll pass at $5 a Rod.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:59 PM »
I have around 50 ice rods. I'll pass at $5 a Rod.
[/quote]

You must be related to my son, I think he bought what was left over, lol.

Offline BreweryBuilder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2021, 12:34 PM »
Looks pretty good.

Kevin
These are what I want to use, but how did you get them on the split grip?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:07 PM »
Kevin
These are what I want to use, but how did you get them on the split grip?

Assuming that was towards me.

&t=69s

Once you get them over the first butt section you can kind of grab with both hands and roll them up and onto the second section. Some guys with less strong fingers have had success with putting them on a screwdriver overnight to kind of stretch on their own before installing. They are tough to get one, but you never have to take them back off.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:08 AM »
those last ones are cool.  but ill stick to my electrical tape. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.