Author Topic: Lightweight option to drill a hole  (Read 1155 times)

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lightweight option to drill a hole
« on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Im kicking some ideas around for a lightweight trip.  If i decided to leave an auger behind what lightweight and compact options would i have to drill a hole in the ice.  My first thought went to a small hatchet to be able to chop a hole.  Any other good ideas out there.  Probably dealing with 8-12” of ice.

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lightweight option to drill a hole
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Chopping a hole with a hatchet sucks. You will end up getting wet finishing the holesince you are so close.  An axe is a bit better than a hatchet but still wet. A spud bar would be your best lightweight option as you won't get soaked. ~5lbs and doubles as a walking stick to hike in.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Spud or a folding auger...looking to cut many holes?  If 1-2 a spud will work fine...if a dozen, bring an auger.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:00 PM »
I’d hand drill holes all day long and deal with the obnoxious compact-ability rather than chop a good enough hole through a foot of ice with a hatchet. Way too much work if you ask me. Traveling light, to me, also implies light work. No point in traveling light if I’m just going to work myself out chopping through ice. A good spud would be about your only option but some of those can be heavier and longer than a hand auger. I’d just take a 6” hand auger along with you and call it a day. I know it really seems like a nice idea but you aren’t gaining much, if any, practicallity over portability.

When I travel light it’s my drill auger setup, my Plano rod case (36” that has 3 rods in it), and my 6 gallon bucket (doubles as a seat). In that bucket I put my bait puck, jig box, spoon/ raps box, a beverage, spare pair of gloves/neck gaiter, a few handwarmer packs, cleats, a MarCum VX-1i, and one of those long heavy duty Frabill scoops (there’s enough space between my flasher and the bucket that my scoop slides in perfectly, not pictured but sticks right up and out the top).

Once I get setup on the ice, jigs and bait go into a chest pocket. Moving around is effortless. I can grab my flasher, rod case, and the rod I’m using with one hand and my auger and my bucket (toss the scoop in it) with the other. Then just move on.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:59 AM »
The work it takes to break open a hole VS bringing a compact Auger(Nero Mini) you loose the purpose of going light. There are 6" versions and also 5 ".
<===Lefty===

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Several companies make two piece spuds.  They serve as a valuable tool for safety as well as cutting an 8 inch hole in a couple minutes.  A hatchet is not a good idea as you will also send ice shards to your face and eyes.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:48 AM »
The Nero mini looks intriguing.   I couldn't find any specs on it with regards to weight or size.  I wanted to compare it to my lazer with the handle removed.  It would be fore a walleye trip with the potential to be catching some big ones, so an 8" hole would be preferred but i could probably do with a 7".   
Maybe a two pierce spud would be a good option as i'm always most comfortable spudding my way onto new ice if i haven't been around to watch it freeze up.  I know my homemade spud may be a bit on the light side to chop out a decent hole, but ive never tried.  Maybe I should give it a go sometime locally and see how it fares.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:20 PM »
I would just use a spud bar, :)

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:49 PM »
I have to ask. Why would you choose to leave the auger behind, especially, if you’re targeting large predator fish? What all gear do you plan on hauling around the ice for your trip and how many holes do plan on making?

I don’t know, I like to be prepared for whatever I may catch on whatever lake I’m on and from experience, there’s nothing worse than being stuck on the ice all day forced to use (or not use) an inferior too. I just don’t see the practicality in not using an auger in 2018 (even when considering weight and portability). You could always make a sling for your auger from rope and just throw it on your back for easy hands free transport. I honestly just want you to have a good time fishing and spudding 8” holes through 12” of ice doesn’t seem like a good time to me when I could zip a hole quickly with an auger and have more fishing time.

The Nero-Mini does look intriguing but at 7”-8”, how much space and weight are you actually saving (real question, I know you don’t know either)? The Nero would be great for guys with cars that need to use trunks and backseats to transport their gear or want to drill holes sitting down. Actually, it might be a good middle ground for you to consider. They do seem like a nice compact solution to dragging an auger around.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2018, 01:08 AM »
I'd probably take the lightest 6" I could get my hands on and drill two connecting holes.  When I'm travelling light I usually hook the auger handle under the bucket handle and carry it over the shoulder "hobo style".   Search "bindle stick" if that doesn't make sense   If the buckets not too heavy it should balance out well. 

You can definitely make a hole with a hatchet or axe but it is a wet and messy job.  If you go that route try and get the hole as close to how you want it before you breakthrough and flood your hole.   

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:26 AM »
When  I go light I take my bucket with 2 boxes of lures,replacement blades and screwdriver,scoop,2 rod holders,bait,a couple of waters. Then I carry my Nero Mini with my Ridgid Drill attached,and my Fish finder. I carry these things with no trouble at all and climb down and back up a 45 Degree hill when I leave.
Bucket =4 Pounds
Drill =12 Pounds
Fish Finder =4 Pounds.
Can't go much lighter than that.
And no I don't even bring anything to eat.
And I am 65.
<===Lefty===

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:52 AM »
This is all being driven by having to take a small airplane ride out to the Erie islands and they want my gear to pack down to around 35 lbs.  So... I got to thinking how can I leave the bulky auger behind and still get myself a couple of holes.  I was attempting to eliminate the auger altogether, but I do want to be able to drill a decent sized hole.  The nero mini looks intriguing, but I can't find any specs on it.  I want to compare it to my 6" lazer weight.  I also thought about just breaking down my lazer and drilling connecting holes.
The flasher is one of the heavier items, and i'm maybe considering trying something different for a battery then the heavier typical gel batteries that get used.  I need to weigh my flasher, but it feels awful heavy to me.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:05 AM »
This is all being driven by having to take a small airplane ride out to the Erie islands and they want my gear to pack down to around 35 lbs.  So... I got to thinking how can I leave the bulky auger behind and still get myself a couple of holes.  I was attempting to eliminate the auger altogether, but I do want to be able to drill a decent sized hole.  The nero mini looks intriguing, but I can't find any specs on it.  I want to compare it to my 6" lazer weight.  I also thought about just breaking down my lazer and drilling connecting holes.
The flasher is one of the heavier items, and i'm maybe considering trying something different for a battery then the heavier typical gel batteries that get used.  I need to weigh my flasher, but it feels awful heavy to me.
Put your flasher battery and other compact items in your coat/bibs pockets for the plane ride.  They usually have the weight limit for gear and an assumed weight for people.  Keep some gear inconspicuously on you and it will be part of your personal weight.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Put your flasher battery and other compact items in your coat/bibs pockets for the plane ride.  They usually have the weight limit for gear and an assumed weight for people.  Keep some gear inconspicuously on you and it will be part of your personal weight.
.            Make sure if putting flasher battery in pocket it’s not a lithium, I don’t think u can fly with one !!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Definitely, I would choose a hand auger over chopping a hole through a foot of ice with a spud. When I went out light I would lay it on my shoulder and hook a bucket over the handle. Easy carrying.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2018, 01:51 PM »
.            Make sure if putting flasher battery in pocket it’s not a lithium, I don’t think u can fly with one !!
  These are little puddle-jumper planes, not commercial jets.  Weight is very important.  I know guys rave about those Dakota lithium batteries for weight reduction.  Maybe consider one of those?  Yeah, it's expensive just for the Erie trip, but you'll be able to use it for years at your local spots.  Use the SLA battery for backup.  Just a suggestion.

I've also considered flying over to walk out, so thanks for the interesting thread.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.