Author Topic: Shakespeare Noodle  (Read 2373 times)

Offline MrHoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
Shakespeare Noodle
« on: Oct 01, 2016, 09:38 AM »
I've recently been considering purchasing a couple noodle rods but am uncertain if I will like the "lack of backbone". Having said that, I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a noodle without first finding out if I will like them. While I understand that you can't expect much from a $15 ice rod, I was curious if anybody has first hand experience using one of these rods. Couldn't seem to find many reviews at all. Thanks in advance!

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shakespeare Noodle
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2016, 12:59 PM »
Not to sound like a d**k, but $15 is not that much to try something out, I'm sure you got a few lures that have never seen water that would cost more.

Offline MrHoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2016, 01:09 PM »
Mainly because I'm looking to buy 5 or 6 and don't want to throw my money down the drain if they are all junk.... Didnt think it would hurt to ask for opinions

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2016, 01:44 PM »
If you can I would check out the HT Ice Blues. You can get them for $5 cheaper.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2016, 01:44 PM »
with out looking at them or knowing anything other than their name and price is, you get what you pay for.  so for 15$, i would not buy them.

i used to buy cheap rods and wanted some thing better always. the back bone in them would be inconsistent at best. they do work tho. i have a bucket with maybe 30 rods of that caliber in it. the bands on the handles seemed to always need to be pushed back in to make them tighter. only advantage, if it's important you can place the weight of the reel on the handle so it feels balanced in your hands.

then there are the options like how the reel attaches. i don't care for the handles that make you tape them on or have the plastic bands you slip over the reel feet. so i prefer reel seats that clamp the reel feet on by turning part of the handle. i also prefer short 18" rods for shanty and kneeling fishing so i  am close to the fish when i land them.

adding a great strike indicator is key to what ever rod you use like frabill titanium strike indicator that clips on and off easy and you can pass your jig thru the eye with out cutting off and retying the jig and is fully adjustable.

i quit looking for better rods when i bought a 13 fishing wicked 18" ultra  light. i own 6 or so of them, maybe more. and i buy them rod only and not the combo because i do not like their reels. these feel balanced enough for me and you feel the lightest of bites because of the handle it uses.
with this rod you just flick your wrist to set hooks and it has plenty of back bone and nice guides.
they cost double of what your thinking about buying and well worth the difference in cost.
i keep them in rod slick sleeves to keep them tangle free and they stay in a bucket. maybe hold out for a sale on rods.

if you want to know how the shakespeare is, buy one and buy some others while your buying some. find out what you like before you buy a bunch of one rod.

six shakespeare's is ninety bucks.
i know you didn't ask for all this other info, but i think it is important to say before you set down 90 bucks for rods you never fished.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2016, 02:21 PM »
yep ht ice blues are noodle rods that require no spring bobber.plus around 8 bucks.ht ice blues are the only cheap rod I own or  buy.

Offline MrHoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2016, 04:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies and insight. I may just have to pick up some ice blues considering this isn't the first time I've heard good things about them being good rods for cheap. If I like the way they feel ill start to look in the direction of some higher end noodles.

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2016, 05:08 PM »

X2 I love my HT Ice Blues.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2016, 06:06 PM »
As a fan of noodle rods, I would also agree that the HT ice blues are a great start!  They range from 18-48" and most are their "light" action. I have several rigged up with schooley reels and they tend to be my go-to rods for panfish...  I guess my only complaint would be the lack of quality control in the past few seasons.  It seams like the 18-24" rods are put together hastily and you have to sort through a few to get ones with relatively straight guides.  The longer rods seams to have less problem.

Another less expensive option would be the Skandia noodle rod by K&E.  They offer 24"-60" options and I have to say that quality wise they are a step up from the HT ice blues and have more a backbone, however I seam to detect bites better on the ice blues.  Perhaps its the thinner blank or that HT ice blues have an orange type which can help detect bites at a farther distance when using longer rods.

Your next step up would be the Wright & McGill Power Ice noodle.  These will run around $30 and for "Stock" rod perform well. 

After that you would probably want to look at pulling the trigger on a custom, such as a Thorne Brother

Offline Big Lefty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09:10 PM »
I carry a few HT Blues.  Mostly for the kids or guests, but I'll pull one out from time to time.  Quality is decent overall, but I've seen more than one that had misaligned guides.  Nothing major, but my OCD doesn't care for it.  I don't care for the cheap reel holders that they come with, but it's easy enough to remove them and tape a reel on.  For what I use them for, they work just fine. 

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09:25 PM »
Do yourself a favor and get a TUCR power noodle. Its a bit expensive but the action and experience you get from fighting the intended species is priceless. Put that $15 towards a quality rod like the tucr and you wont have any regrets.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2016, 08:07 AM »
I carry a few HT Blues.  Mostly for the kids or guests, but I'll pull one out from time to time.  Quality is decent overall, but I've seen more than one that had misaligned guides.  Nothing major, but my OCD doesn't care for it.  I don't care for the cheap reel holders that they come with, but it's easy enough to remove them and tape a reel on.  For what I use them for, they work just fine.
I agree, I replace many of mine with the Cold Snap rings. Most of the time 2 rings will do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.