Author Topic: Your best watch  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Quantrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waugh!! I have the hair of the BEAR in me!!
Your best watch
« on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:52 AM »
Got a Luminox Navy Seal watch and its GREAT!
Really was tired of having to expose watches to light so they would charge up for nighttime display.
Luminox uses tiny gas filled tubes which are good for 10+ years.
No more being unable to see the display when its dark.
Velcro strap which is very comfortable.
Very accurate and rugged.
http://www.knifeworks.com/luminoxwatch3053navysealsdivewatchblackpustrapblueandblackdial.aspx

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Your best watch
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:51 AM »
Got a Luminox Navy Seal watch and its GREAT!
Really was tired of having to expose watches to light so they would charge up for nighttime display.
Luminox uses tiny gas filled tubes which are good for 10+ years.
No more being unable to see the display when its dark.
Velcro strap which is very comfortable.
Very accurate and rugged.
http://www.knifeworks.com/luminoxwatch3053navysealsdivewatchblackpustrapblueandblackdial.aspx
I have a cheap $30 Timex that is water resistant, keeps good time and when I push the little button the whole face lights up. I have probably had it for ten years and have replsced the battery twice.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:08 AM »
Used to wear a watch all the time. Now I just look at my Phone.
<===Lefty===

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Used to wear a watch all the time. Now I just look at my Phone.

same here, but when i'm ice fishing go out in the dark go home in the dark  ;)

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:22 AM »
When I am fishing I don't look at the time. Only when I am at work do I even want to know. ;D
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:29 AM »
While in the military we had watches and compasses with were "luminescent". Still have my compass, they kept my watch. Believe they contained tritium as the light. Later found out it is radioactive. My sons commenga compass still contains it and has warning on back. Used to wear a timex that had indiglo. after 12 years it quit. Now I too just look at my phone.   Steve

Offline Quantrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:56 AM »
I hear ya on the military deal.
Like when they tested the nukes.
"Just get down and cover yourself with your shelter half and you will be protected."

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:06 AM »
I only carry one when I have a certain time to go, and it's usually an old plastic Eddie Bauer watch with Velcro.
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:08 AM »
When I am in the great outdoors the phone goes of and time is something that passes by and is not to paid attention to.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:08 AM »
Don't have one, life is too short to worry about what time it is, Sun and Moon still work pretty good for me !  ;)2 :roflmao:

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:17 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugv9_xvEeqY&feature=related

Here is a great excerpt from the film "Jeremiah Johnson" about what time used to mean to folks. I hope someday I can get to the point where I am not sure of what month it is. That would be freedom.

I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:24 AM »
Boy, did I have a deal for you on Wednesday...!!!!  :whistle: I turned all the clocks back last night....then it dawned on me...I'm retired!!! I could care less what time it is. Wish we could turn back the clock of life, though... ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:34 AM »
G-SHOCK LOVE THEM

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Boy, did I have a deal for you on Wednesday...!!!!  :whistle: I turned all the clocks back last night....then it dawned on me...I'm retired!!! I could care less what time it is. Wish we could turn back the clock of life, though... ::)
Time doesn't affect me much as long as I'm up by the crack of noon. ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2011, 09:32 AM »
I have a cheap $30 Timex that is water resistant, keeps good time and when I push the little button the whole face lights up. I have probably had it for ten years and have replsced the battery twice.

Me too.
Timex Ironman.
I've replaced the battery twice and am on my third band.   ;D

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2011, 09:35 AM »
I don't wear watches anymore. My cell phone has the time on it and lights up automatically.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2011, 09:40 AM »
yep, no need for a watch, first off when im fishing i dont care about the time. On the rare occurance when im on a short outing because i need to be somewhere i would use my phone

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Casio Illuminator, best $16 I ever spent.

Lasts a LONG LONG time through heavy abuse. Whole face lights up, has day of the week/ alarm/ stopwatch/ day of the month and bigger numbers. Waterproof to like 50 feet or so too, and Ive never changed a battery.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:19 AM »
no watch for me. i have been retired for a few years or so. it is night or day or dark or light. missed the wifes anniversary and a free trip to red lobster.she said being on the computer was no excuse beings it has a date at the bottom of the page.i learn something new everyday. go to bed early and get up early and than you don't miss anything important.you got to love being older but not oldest.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Man , I'd love to have a rooster again.  I used to have a watch I had one them explorer types that got me around in Denver a few years back. They all quit working. I think it is neglect and abandonment on my part.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:46 AM »
I have several watches but never wear them anymore. There's one in my shop attached to a drawer handle, a couple in my computer desk junk drawer and others spread here and there. Some still keeping time. I have a clock in both of my trucks, on my Desktop PC and my laptop, clocks on the wall, an alarm clock and a cell phone. I have no need to wear something sooo redundant. These worked for centuries and no batteries necessary :)

Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Quantrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Local jeweler told me that people are tired of the battery deal and are looking for a automatic.
I thought that automatics were gone like T Rex but it appears to be otherwise.
Automatics are the watches that wind themselves as you move your hand/arm.

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:50 AM »
I still have to wear a watch a Timex Ironman. At Scheels they don't let you car a phone, so I have to rely on a watch.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:16 AM »
I own an extremely nice TAG pro 2000. Cost $1250 when I was in Greece, would have been almost $2k here in the states. Splurged and bought one. What I discovered was I hate wearing a watch. I'm too active and this thing is too big and bulky. I break the watch band pins becasue I am too active. So it sits in the box on my desk.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:34 AM »
On Wednesday, I just sold a  $2500 Concord Saratoga that I received as a gift from King Hussein of Jordan in January 0f '99 when I worked with his security detail. It has been sitting in it's case since then...just didn't like wearing fancy watches. I wore a G- shock for many years until the case cracked. On my 6th year with my Pulsar chrono dive, the only one I can stand to wear when I occasionally need one.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2011, 02:33 PM »
same here, but when i'm ice fishing go out in the dark go home in the dark  ;)

When I go fishing the phone stay's in the truck and off also. Where I go there is limited service and I don't like turning off and on the GPS and the Wireless to save the battery. It will continue to search for these and never find them which runs the battery down.
<===Lefty===

Offline ianripken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Watches don't agree with the finish on the work laptop so I got out of that habit. I had a great watch though. Don't like digital ones, but it didn't have a light for reading it in the dark. Hands glowed for a good while on it though. Can't remember who made it.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:55 PM »
watches make me itch, havent had one since 6th grade, that was back in the 70's ;Drealy

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:58 PM »
no watch for me. i have been retired for a few years or so. it is night or day or dark or light. missed the wifes anniversary and a free trip to red lobster.she said being on the computer was no excuse beings it has a date at the bottom of the page.i learn something new everyday. go to bed early and get up early and than you don't miss anything important.you got to love being older but not oldest.
not to put too fine a point on it, but, wasn,t it yr. anniv. too.? any way i,m retired too, & i refuse two things: a watch &a cell. what they don,t tell you is: you can reach out &touch somebody, but ,somebody can reach out &touch you,too. I,M goosey, i don,t like people touching me. well, maybe SHANIA, &BAYONCE ( ,n, a he** of a lot of other young things but thas a dream for another day.) L.O.L.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Never carry a watch fishing, you might see what time it is and have to go home. If you don't have one then you have an excuse...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.