Author Topic: Collapsible Hard Side Shanty Design  (Read 13066 times)

Offline pvtschultz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Collapsible Hard Side Shanty Design
« Reply #30 on: Nov 22, 2010, 08:01 AM »
Braley,

You copied my design!  ::) It is funny though since your shanty is so similar to my first "creation", and I never saw an image of yours during my searching.  Do you have any collapsed pics?  I'm making the drawings for the second design now and will be making at least one of those.  We brought the ATV home this weekend so the ice can come any time now...  :tipup:

Offline hamiltonmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 22, 2010, 08:11 AM »
google dewalt ice hut plans

Offline braley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 22, 2010, 08:33 PM »
Braley,

You copied my design!  ::) It is funny though since your shanty is so similar to my first "creation", and I never saw an image of yours during my searching.  Do you have any collapsed pics?  I'm making the drawings for the second design now and will be making at least one of those.  We brought the ATV home this weekend so the ice can come any time now...  :tipup:

I will try to get some pictures this weekend

Offline pvtschultz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:55 AM »
Well, I've made a few subtle changes to the design and am going to call this one "done".  I also created enough drawings for me and anyone that is mechanically inclined to build it.  From the parts list and rough cut sheets that I've put together, the estimated build cost will be $150.  Now that the hunting season is over, I hope to build this one (Shanty II), or "Shanty III" which will be a sled-less design that can just be thrown on the ATV trailer while it is being towed out onto the ice.  I've also got a heater design churning in the back of my mind that I want to work on.   

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Looks good! Better get going the season is almost here!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline pvtschultz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:46 PM »
Looks good! Better get going the season is almost here!

What did you use as a finish for your Lauan?  I did a little research over lunch and found a site that had a back yard, long(er) term outdoor study of wood finishes.  The author recommended Olympic Base D5 without tint for a natural looking finish.  The base dries nearly water clear and it is 100% acrylic which should hold up well.  I'm leaning towards old-school for the bottom, finishing it with the Olympic and then adding waxed hardwood or HDPE hyfaxes.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:21 PM »
The cheapest way to cover the bottom is those roll up sleds. You can cut out the hand holds and staple it into the framing. I use an electric carpet stapler so the staples hold good but are not so large as to split the wood.
For the varnish I use the MINIWAX HELMSMAN spar urethane. I like the clear gloss. The more coats you put on, the better it will look. Remember it is only a shanty not a piece of furniture. I also use those foam brushes to coat everything. I buy a package of them and through one away after each coat. The other stuff you mentioned may work, but I like what I use. Remember, this kind of shanty is not going to be left out on the lake extended periods of time. I take mine with me and fish several lakes all season. I never leave it out more than 28 to 30 hours at a time with me in it.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.