Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 537740 times)

Offline Joe34

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #4530 on: Dec 09, 2022, 07:27 PM »
Anyone have any recent reports for lakes around Sagle? I'd like to take the kids to Mirror if the ice is OK, or maybe Gamble lake for perch.
Life is short. Go fishing.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4531 on: Dec 10, 2022, 11:40 AM »
Hit Freeman yesterday.  Ice was 5” everywhere we had a hole. Snow and slush on top varied.  East side of lake had 8-10” of snow with an inch of slush.  Middle was 4” of wet sloppy slush on top.  6 tip ups with no flags for pike….and the jigging rods produced a few very small perch and one 14” largemouth.  Slowest day of fishing I’ve had on Freeman in a couple of years.

Not sure if all the new snow will help ice conditions even with the colder temps coming this week.

Offline Joe34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4532 on: Dec 10, 2022, 02:06 PM »
Anyone have any recent reports for lakes around Sagle? I'd like to take the kids to Mirror if the ice is OK, or maybe Gamble lake for perch.

I checked Mirror today, not good enough for me: 1-2 inches clear, with a 2 inch layer of frozen cloudy slush on top.
Life is short. Go fishing.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4533 on: Dec 10, 2022, 04:08 PM »
Thanks joe34 for the update on mirror it should be safe by next weekend I'd say
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4534 on: Dec 10, 2022, 08:01 PM »
Anyone sink a blade in Granite or Kelso lately?

Yellowice, I live 5 minutes away. I was gonna try to get take a look at them in the next few days, I'll let you know.  I'd assume that if the big lakes are frozen enough to fish, I'm sure they are safe but I'll try to keep you posted.

Offline Apostolic Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4535 on: Dec 11, 2022, 07:25 PM »
Hello, new to the channel. Picked up an ice fishing rod a few years back and an auger last Spring. Been fishing all my life but never on ice (I'm from Texas). Is locating fish any different under ice than it is otherwise? Appreciate any comments on this or anything else ice fishing wise.

Thanks

Offline Ratso-jig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4536 on: Dec 11, 2022, 08:43 PM »
Welcome.   Ice fishing is more challenging I feel. 

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4537 on: Dec 11, 2022, 09:30 PM »
Hello, new to the channel. Picked up an ice fishing rod a few years back and an auger last Spring. Been fishing all my life but never on ice (I'm from Texas). Is locating fish any different under ice than it is otherwise? Appreciate any comments on this or anything else ice fishing wise.

Thanks
You need an electronic flasher to "locate".  If you can afford one that is the first piece of major equipment I would buy except for maybe warm boots.  Otherwise, you can locate fishing spots by looking for sign on the ice of left by other fishermen: tracked up fishing spots with numerous holes, shanty prints on ice and fish blood near the holes. Without electronics you can also use a search lure like a Cast Master spoon or a Swedish Pimple and drill and hop from place to place until you find fish.  For safety you will want spikes on a lanyard around your neck which are basically two hand held nails that you can use to dig into the ice if you fall in and so you can pull yourself out.  Stick to solid ice that has been fished, avoid moving water like streams coming into and under the ice and objects like docks and other structure on the ice that can reflect and hold the suns heat and weaken nearby ice.  Falling through the ice is rare but if you are worried about wear a life jacket.   

Offline JimBob2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4538 on: Dec 11, 2022, 09:51 PM »
Good info for the newbie, good job bullpine.

Offline Apostolic Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4539 on: Dec 12, 2022, 09:16 PM »
Thanks for the tips, including some bait options.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4540 on: Dec 13, 2022, 07:22 PM »
Anybody have any ice reports for Blue Lake or Granite Lake?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4541 on: Dec 13, 2022, 11:06 PM »
Welp put a dent In the pike population today at a local lake  came home with 8 pike biggest was 8.4 lbs
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline nICE!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4542 on: Dec 14, 2022, 01:06 AM »
New to the forum and ice fishing. Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4543 on: Dec 14, 2022, 05:29 AM »
Raynebidziil how was the ice thickness at that local lake?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4544 on: Dec 14, 2022, 05:33 AM »
3.5" and a crap ton of springs this year glad I had my spud bar almost walked right on one only safe ice was where people had already been the lake should be safer by the end of this week

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4545 on: Dec 14, 2022, 08:22 AM »
Going out tomorrow-debating between pike at the local lake or gamlin for perch

Offline GBANKY

• IceShanty Rookie
Granite lake
« Reply #4546 on: Dec 14, 2022, 08:28 AM »
Any ice updates for Granite lake?
Thanks.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4547 on: Dec 14, 2022, 08:04 PM »
Well trout fishing was extremely hard today only caught one 😕 but did get a lot of perch today only 3 jumbos and kept 12 total

Offline JimBob2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4548 on: Dec 15, 2022, 11:40 AM »
New to the forum and ice fishing. Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
WELCOME!  nICE

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4549 on: Dec 15, 2022, 08:15 PM »
Granite had 6” of ice with a bit of snow and slush on top. The next weeks temps should make it thicker.  Did good on the trout with most caught in 40’ of water at 6-10’ below the ice. Pretty good day on the ice!

Offline Ratso-jig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4550 on: Dec 15, 2022, 09:28 PM »
Thanks for info.  Should have a lot options next week.   

Offline GBANKY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4551 on: Dec 15, 2022, 10:48 PM »
Thank you

Granite had 6” of ice with a bit of snow and slush on top. The next weeks temps should make it thicker.  Did good on the trout with most caught in 40’ of water at 6-10’ below the ice. Pretty good day on the ice!

Offline JimBob2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4552 on: Dec 15, 2022, 11:58 PM »
Anyone been to Mirror this week? Ice should be good, looking for some Kokanee.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4553 on: Dec 16, 2022, 01:26 PM »
Anyone been to Mirror this week? Ice should be good, looking for some Kokanee.

I plan on heading out this afternoon I’ll give it a check.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4554 on: Dec 16, 2022, 07:49 PM »
Sagle Area

Mirror has about 3 clear 7 total by the dock but deteriorates quickly. By the two swim docks there’s about two clear with a pocket of overflow and like 3” of froze slush on top. Didn’t venture any further. 

Cocolalla is worse than last week with a lot of slush and water on top of about 2” about 35 yards out. One whack with a spud bar and it goes right through.

Round is looking the best with light slush on top of 3 clear and a total of 6 with the frozen slush.  Fished a few hours managed a trout, crappie and a perch.

Offline BTS1889

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4555 on: Dec 16, 2022, 08:41 PM »
Any ice reports for Upper Twin?

Offline Ratso-jig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4556 on: Dec 16, 2022, 11:32 PM »
Thanks for report aza.
Saw 1 guy upper twin Monday.  There is no where to park.   Launch is full of snow.   Maybe they might plow it.   Hopefully cocollola by next week.   

Offline Classicguy67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4557 on: Dec 17, 2022, 02:03 PM »
Has anyone checked spirit lake? Hayden sportsman's was about 5inches couple small pike but pretty slow

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4558 on: Dec 18, 2022, 09:07 AM »
@plfish anything happening up at Priest? Temps never got real cold where I’m at (Rose Lake) but thought maybe it was a different story up there.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4559 on: Dec 18, 2022, 12:23 PM »
@plfish anything happening up at Priest? Temps never got real cold where I’m at (Rose Lake) but thought maybe it was a different story up there.

Nothing yet on Priest. With the forecasted temps there may be some skim ice on some of the bays…but it will take awhile more to get some fishable ice.  This week will be a good start….but it’s going to need another decent cold snap after this one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.