Author Topic: EARLY ICE BASS  (Read 9482 times)

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
EARLY ICE BASS
« on: Dec 26, 2002, 03:21 PM »
A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T GO FOR BASS IN THE WINTER EVEN AT FIRST ICE. BIG MISTAKE! WHEN YOUR FISHING FOR PERCH, CRAPPIE, 'GILLS TRY A SLOWED DOWN JIGGING ACTION WITH A FLASH LURE TIPPED WITH AN INSECT OR MINNOW HEAD. WHEN YOU HIT A BAS, YOU WILL CATCH MORE IN THAT HOLE OR ONE REAL CLOSE TO IT AS BASS STACK UP AT FIRST ICE. LATER IT WILL GET HARDER TO FIND THEM, BUT, EVEN IN THE DEAD OF WINTER, BASS STILL HAVE TO EAT, MAYBE ONLY ONCE A WEEK, BUT, IF YOUR THERE WHEN THEY GET HUNGRY, YOU WILL HAVE A BLAST.

woodspirit

Re: EARLY ICE BASS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2003, 01:01 PM »
Hi,
I have noticed the same thing about catching bass out of the same hole or hole near to each other. Glad to hear I am not the only one after them in the winter.

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2003, 05:09 PM »
Woodspirit, I'm going to a pond about a mile as the crow flies from my house tommorrow, lot of smallmouthes. Haven't fished it on the ice, but, in the late fall I found one cove where a lot of two to three pounders were hanging close to shore. Don't think they went to far, pond drops to fourty feet within a hundred yards of where I caught them in the fall.
Will post my results here tommorrow or the next day.
              tight lines!!!

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2003, 04:29 PM »
bass are fun through the ice

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2003, 01:48 PM »
:o Bass are out of season in MI starting jan. 1. I caught one largemouth within the first two minutes of fishing last week and had to throw it back. it was about 14inches. caught it on a med. size swedish pimple tipped with a perch minnow jigging right on bottom.

Offline Bukshot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2003, 12:28 PM »
In Central Jersey there are lots of lakes with lots of Largemouths!  Early Ice usually finds them.  They can be finicky though, As sometimes you will get a lot of tipup action with medium or large shiners  for Bass and some days nothing but pickerel from the same areas.  A good way to find them is to vary your height from the bottom.  Try some shiners 1 foot from bottom, some 1/12 - 2- or even 2 1/2 off bottom.  

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2003, 01:23 PM »
I always catch bass when I'm rigged for pike or muskie (6" shiner fished 3' off bottom).  GULP!!

zoom

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2003, 04:00 AM »
i have a little trick i use at a lake that is pounded day after day with guys looking for bass,muskie and pike. ilearned it early ice one day i saw alot of bait someone released some were dead some half dead just under the ice .i kept seeing flashes under the ice so iset my tip up 30" down with a monster shiner and a salmon river split shot and consistantly outfish most out there.      rember the longer the fight the bigger that hole is getting             GIT HEEEEEEMMMMMMMMM           ZOOM

wick

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2003, 04:17 PM »
:oMan i had a blast this past weekend, i was fishing in about 15 feet of water and was cating Bass after Bass i think it was one of the best times ive had on the ice. I cought 10 largemouth bass and lost a few, it was almost steady action for a while it was so much fun and they really put up a good fight hoping to go this weekend and try and find them again.

Offline IceRacer_63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the pike are not hitting..break out the bikes!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2003, 12:22 PM »
bass are nice fighters thats why I like to fish for them. two years ago i cought a 7lb 2oz bass it was a nice fighter. I got it mounted too.

Offline GlovelessPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Early Ice Bass
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2003, 03:00 PM »
I live in north eastern MA and first ice can vary from early dec. to never having safe ice until jan,feb. I have seen bass caught in shallow water when the ice was clear and the bottom could be seen, but for the most part the bass will be 15-20 ft deep where the warmer water rests under the thermocline, shiners 2-3' off the bottom of a drop-off that is adjacent to a large flat is usually the key. also, when fishing in depths where there is minimal light penetration i use wire leaders ( mostly because of pickerel ) but bass don't seem to mind them.
How can you be icefishing if you're sitting at your computer???

Darton_fanatic

« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2004, 09:01 AM »
My buddies and I target bass every time out, they're a blast to land. The bonus is the occasional pike,too!We use med.-large shiners,but, creek chubs we trap are the best!

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2004, 04:44 PM »
Bigger the bait the bigger the Bass!

We kill bass in the early season, they are still on the move and hungry as ever.

I fished on day last year as a snow squall came through, we caught almsot 2 dozen bass in 3 hours just as the storm approached.  If was July, there woudl have been lightning and the fishing would have been just as crazy.  Always fish the weather. Sunny high pressure days in the winter slow them bass down.
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2004, 04:15 PM »
Poped 15 bass on large shiners this morning, the 3 largest went 3 to 3 1/2 lb each. I was the only one on the lake in the snowstorm.  I'll take that action over a sunny day anytime. ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2004, 02:57 PM »
Bass make up the bulk of your catch in most Southern Maine big lakes. They keep the day interesting.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2004, 09:09 PM »
Yeah, I like to fish about 5-12 feet of water straight out from a point. The point has to be adjacent to a large cove for best success IMO. (this is for largemouths)

If your lake is really fertile fish about 6 ft. deep where the bass are cruising between the dead weeds. fish in between weed patches. it helps to scout during openwater.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2004, 05:24 PM »
  I was early ice fishing for bass this afternoon and was getting nothing.  I grabbed a half a dozen minnows and put the squeeze on them and dropped the down the hole.  Within 10 minutes I was as busy as a one legged man at an a@# kicking contest.  Landed 3 , lost one and had a 30" catfish break me off right at the hole. Chumming seemed to work for me.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:24 PM »
Hey bass slow down in the winter but they still gotta eat. I catch some nice bass through the ice every winter. Just gotta relate to the weedlines and structure :thumbsup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Poolshark

« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:27 PM »
I do a lot of bass fishing through the ice. Always had better luck than going for trout. I fish N.H. and Maine. I fish 10 - 15 feet of water,if I know of underwater stucture I will try to suspend my bait above it. 3 ft mono leader 15-17 #,barrel swivel, then squidding line. Good Luck!   

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2005, 08:29 PM »
In MN, it seems that bass fishing gets real tough in the winter.  One thing I have found is this, especially late in the season.  If you're catching a lot of smaller sunnies & suddenly they disappear off the sonar, look for a large mark 2-3 ft off bottom.  I have caught alot of nice bass like that.  One time up in northern MN on an isolated lake, I was catching tons of sunnies & they dissapeared.  I started seeing suspended fish, so I brought the waxie up to 'em.  They turned out to be some really nice bass.  I caught 15 b/t 2 & 5 1/2 pounds, all on an ultra lite w/ 4 lb. test.  I had a couple break me off @ the ice, too.  Probably the most fun I've ever had ice fishing.  Never woulda got those fish w/o a great reel like my Symetry!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline freaknsweet17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • What Are you lookin at?
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2008, 05:03 PM »
thanks for the tip
ICE FISHING!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.