Author Topic: Showdown Digital Fish Finder?  (Read 36816 times)

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Showdown Digital Fish Finder?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:45 PM »
Well So far I charged up my Showdown the day after new years and it is still going strong.  I have gone fishing 5 times since then (with the ice mode on).   As far a performance I think it does what a fish locater is supposed to do and thats mark fish and show you where your lure/jig is at and also show an accurate depth.  That said the FL20 has a dual transducer cone (i think) which would be a nice plus.  I fish with a guy that has an fl20 and mine does everything his does as far as seeing the fish, what depth their hanging out at/bottom depth/jig showing up, etc however his has colors and mine doesn't.  I was thinking of getting an ICE 55 this year but I think I'm going to see how this update turns out and stick with the Showdown as it's been catching me just as much if not more fish than the "other guys".  just my $.02.

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:51 PM »
OK, I am looking to get a new FL20. Why should I look into the VPG first. What are the pros/cons. What about battery life especially when in ice mode using a resistance heater? It does seem to be smaller and lighter than a vex which is always good. I am on the fence.

- The first iteration of this unit was called the VPG but then it was overhauled and made into what's now called the Showdown.

- The Showdown has a vertical display and makes use of LCD technology very well with 1/2 target separation.   

- The LCD display also has a built in heater so it won't slow down in cold temperatures.

- This unit also has noise interference rejection and the ability to zoom into any level of the water column.

- The battery last days as compared to hours with other competing units and that's even with the heater and back light display on. 

I'm no expert, I just really like this unit and the best feature of all is that it's infinitely upgradeable...  I bought my unit a year ago for $229 and I don't think anything can touch it at that price point!!  All competing units are great too, it just depends on how much you want to spend and what your personal preference is...

Aaron

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:22 AM »
thanks Neptune.  I heard about the "Ice mode" thing about a week or so ago and it has really changed my outlook on the unit....I was getting a little annoyed with how it worked especially in water deaper than 15' I would lose my jig at the drop of a hat and the unit itself seemed to do some wierd stuff but since I've kept it on ice mode it has been working like advertised.  I'll wait to hear the verdict on the update as I MAY be intereseted in getting mine done.
Was it cold enough that "Ice Mode" was needed to keep the display warm & operating properly?  Or do you think it was due to something else?
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:13 AM »
It was about 0-10 degrees depending on the day but it doesn't go outside it sits in my portable...I guess this could all be in my head but I always have had a problem with the unit "jumping" around showing different depths (in the same spot), losing my jig & having interference problems (even though there was noone anywhere near me).  I never had a problem with the LCD screen slowing down or or anything like that but I read on another forum someone said to try and keep it in ice mode, I had my misgivings because as I understood it the ice mode was just to warm the LCD screen but maybe it also warmed up something else in the unit because when I tried it all the other stuff has gone away the last few times I've used it.  Once again this could very well be all coincedence but since Ive left it in ice mode it's worked well for me.  I even though about bailing on the unit at one time and buying either an LX5 or an ICE 55 this year but I think I'll keep it for another year and maybe see what this upgrade entails.

Offline maddowg1192000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:33 PM »
nature visions design team told me that when you turn on ice mode it puts out more power which helps with reading your lure. I have had some of the same problems with it bouncing depths which kinda sucks when you are on auto zoom otherwise it doesn't hurt much. As for the pros and cons of the unit I think that was covered pretty good by a couple people already, not much else I could say. I love this unit for the price but if I was looking at a big ticket item I would choose the LX5 hands down after seeing how well it handles around other units. If you have ever heard of the Brainerd Jaycees $150,000 Ice Fishing extravaganza you will know it draws between 10,000 and 14,000 people and the only unit I have seen with little to no inerference is the LX5. The showdown does alright when there are a few other units but with that many it gets bad but so do the vexilars and the lower end marcums. Now if they come out with a color showdown I will buy it right away.

Offline maddowg1192000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Got to use it for the first time yesterday with the new upgrade and from what I saw it is great. The 2 things I noticed and played around with were the sensitivity and zoom. The sensitivity is way better now than it was, you turn it up less than half of what you would normally to get a better view of your jig. Now the zoom change rules, you still zoom into a 5ft area but u can move it up in 1ft increment instead of 5ft, which is really nice. It got rid of the problem of when your in 16ft and it zooms into 20ft, also I think by doing this they got rid of the problem with the bottom bouncing between different depths. So far so good with the new upgrade, I will keep everyone updated.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Wow....if thats the case I will be sending mine in this week. 

How did you hear about the upgrade btw?

Offline maddowg1192000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 01, 2009, 12:04 PM »
I sent them an email asking if there would be a new upgrade this year and they replied. I live in Brainerd so for me to get stuff done all I have to do is stop in to the shop and have them do it really quick. It took a couple minutes for them to do and I got it back right away. They told me that they were at 99% on getting ready for an official release. Just call them or send an email to find out more. When I went in no one in customer service knew anything about the new upgrade yet so they had me talk to the owner and that was fun being able to B.S. with him about stuff they are trying and giving him input on what I like and don't like about the machine. I will try to make a small video showing some of the new features and post it on here in the near future.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Feb 01, 2009, 02:15 PM »
Question:  I bought a new Showdown from Cabelas about 4 weeks ago.  Any idea how I can tell if it already has the "new" upgrade or not?

Proud NRA Life Member

Offline Silverback

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:23 PM »
 Have any of you guys ever used the Showdown in deeper water? I fish for Lake Trout quite a bit and they are usually found in 80 to 100 feet of water and was wondering if it works as well as in their video down that deep. Quite often you can pick up a Laker on the way up from the bottom so their must be some suspended and it would be great to know where they are.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:20 AM »
The max I've ever used it in is 40 fow so far

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 15, 2009, 05:24 PM »
How's the new 5.6 software upgrade working? I too called a couple of weeks ago and they said it's still in the field testing stage but as soon as it becomes available they will let me know....   Any other new features that your aware of?  How's it been performing?

Offline maddowg1192000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 16, 2009, 01:42 AM »
So far so good, I have been using it at alot of tournies and it has performed perfect so far. Also it actually messes with the FL-18s a little bit now when it wouldn't before. The biggest things that I like about it is that the sensitivity is so easy to control now and i don't ever see a reason to have it anywhere near the 25 mark. I have been running it around 7 to 12 depending on conditions(this takes a little getting use to and getting the settings right around alot of machines). The only time you ever have to mess with the noise setting is when there are other machines around and I have found that 5 seems to be the best setting in most situations. The one feature that I abosutly love is being able to move zoom 1ft at a time. They also got rid of the problem with it bouncing depths when it hasn't been moved from the hole. I would have put a video up but my camera went to hell and I don't have the money for a new one at this time. I will try to answer any questions that anyone has about the 5.6 upgrade... so ask away

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 17, 2009, 11:16 AM »
 i hate mine this year in shallow water it gets to much feedback and in deep water works fine so if you are fishing shallow forget it, deep water it works ok but i never fish the deep

Offline maddowg1192000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:22 PM »
When in shallow water try turning off the "ICE MODE", it works like low power mode on the vexilars. I was having that problem too, don't know if that was a fix in 5.6 or if it works on 3.2 also. I would try that and let me know if it works.

Offline COVEJEEPSXJ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Showdown > Ice-55
« Reply #75 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:51 PM »
When will the update be available for the public? Two of my buddies and I would all like to have the update done to our units. We are planning to send all three of them in at one time.
Too many hobbies.

Offline maddowg1192000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 17, 2009, 06:08 PM »
It sounded like it was going to be towards the end of the month but I am not sure. You can always look at their website, as soon as it is released it will be in the news on there. They haven't told me when they plan to release ...sorry.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 17, 2009, 06:56 PM »
I think I'm going to wait until the end of the season to do mine I don't want to take the risk of them having it for 3 weeks because their backed up and I'm missing out on prime fishing without it.  I think I would just as soon not go fishing or just tipup fish if I didn't have it.

Offline COVEJEEPSXJ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Showdown > Ice-55
« Reply #78 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:50 AM »
Thanks Maddowg.

Too many hobbies.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:56 AM »
any of you have a fuse problem?   my kid has one  and I thought it was great till one day on the ice it just wouldnt come on  he looked so depressed   and I thought he was gonna trhrow it on the lake!   come to find out it was the fuse that blew  and cant see how or why
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline COVEJEEPSXJ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Showdown > Ice-55
« Reply #80 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:58 AM »
any of you have a fuse problem?   my kid has one  and I thought it was great till one day on the ice it just wouldnt come on  he looked so depressed   and I thought he was gonna trhrow it on the lake!   come to find out it was the fuse that blew  and cant see how or why

Never had a fuse problem. But I will be sure to add a spare fuse to my fishing supplies now though.

The only problems we have had with ours is a bad charger and broken transducer arms.
Too many hobbies.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Feb 19, 2009, 07:19 PM »
I keep hearing everyone say the plastic arm that hangs the transducer is fragile and prone to breakage.  What would happen if you DIDN'T use it?  Would the transducer hang crooked and not work or something?  I see guys with other brands of flashers not using them all the time.  Is the Showdown different in that respect?
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline COVEJEEPSXJ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Showdown > Ice-55
« Reply #82 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:55 PM »
I keep hearing everyone say the plastic arm that hangs the transducer is fragile and prone to breakage.  What would happen if you DIDN'T use it?  Would the transducer hang crooked and not work or something?  I see guys with other brands of flashers not using them all the time.  Is the Showdown different in that respect?

Two guys I fish with have busted there transducer arms and they just wrapped foam (pipe insulation) around the transducer wire similiar to the Vex's and it works perfect.
Too many hobbies.

Offline pa.bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:02 PM »
is there any issues with using a showdown in the same hut with someone that is using a marcum or vex? ??? i'm looking at getting a showdown and my buddy is looking at a marcum.  :tipup: thanks for any info
got ice?

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 23, 2009, 02:46 PM »
So far I've fished (in the same hut) with a Vexilar FL-20 and a Vexilar Fl-8 and have been able to adjust the Showdown to fish just fine next to them...Never fished next to a Marcum before at least not right next to anyway.

Offline COVEJEEPSXJ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Showdown > Ice-55
« Reply #85 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:14 PM »
Never fished in a hut with another showdown. But I have fished with 3 within 10' + or - from each other with no issues.

Edit: Sorry, Misread your question, but I will leave my post incase that question comes up.
Too many hobbies.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:23 PM »
I should also point out that the Vexilar guys from my previous post didn't have any serious issues from the Showdown either.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:45 AM »
I should also point out that the Vexilar guys from my previous post didn't have any serious issues from the Showdown either.
son has one and have had no interferance with his and my fl12
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Went out for a 3 day fishing excursion and fished beside a buddy who was using a VEX FL-18...  Had some interference until I turned up the noise rejection to about 4 and then it was non existent!! 

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 24, 2009, 01:55 PM »
i hate mine this year in shallow water it gets to much feedback and in deep water works fine so if you are fishing shallow forget it, deep water it works ok but i never fish the deep

I was having the same trouble for the first time this week.  I wasn't aware of turning off the ice mode.  I'll give it a try.  I had to kee adjusting the noise rejection mode. That worked but was frustrating.  I understand now why the ice mode will fix the shallow water problem. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.