Author Topic: Cabela's TA Pac Boot vs Baffin Apex  (Read 2311 times)

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cabela's TA Pac Boot vs Baffin Apex
« on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:14 PM »
I originally posted this on the dressing for ice fishing thread but have not had any responses and I am looking for more feedback as the deal I am referencing may be set to expire. Feel free to delete if not allowed. I know, I know, another boot thread. Just looking for some advice on these two boots in particular, not really interested in any other boots. I tried on the TAs, I liked them but they are obviously huge. Haven’t been able to try on the Apex but there is a good sale online bringing the price of the Apex to $127 with free shipping. TAs would be $199 with 10% off and free shipping. Just looking for some comparison of the boots and any advice on which one to get. Would like them to be waterproof and was reading about some reviews saying that Baffins had some leaking going on occasionally. Appreciate any and all advice. TIA

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cabela's TA Pac Boot vs Baffin Apex
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:21 PM »
I can't offer any advice on the baffin apex, but I do own an older pair of baffin impact boots and I love them. I got them like 7 years ago and they're still just as warm and waterproof as day 1. The -148 rating is no joke either, they're the warmest boots I've ever owned. Doesn't matter if you're sitting down not moving, or in the open on the ice you don't get cold in them.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:06 PM »
I have the baffin apex. They are a huge boot also. Mine have not leaked, I put sno-seal leather protector on the leather upper portion. Also I have yet to stand in water or slush 7-8" deep for half the day. They keep my feet warm with thin socks, -20°F. Remove the liner and insoles after each use cause I do sweat in them a little. I usually take a 10.5 but got the apex in 11 and they fit good. I probably couldn't run in them if I had to cause they are so stiff. I've never had a Cabela's pac boot but have read good reviews on them. If you can get the Apex for $127... I'd jump all over that, I paid north of 200 for mine.
It must be something in the water.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:40 PM »
It certainly wasn't cold today in se WI, but I wore my trans Alaskans for the first time and was very impressed. I had on a thin summer weight hiking sock and my feet were hot. Now I need to get a pair of boots for 20°+ weather!  ;D

Offline Steelhead920

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:24 PM »
I have baffin ice breakers and also the TAs. I wore the TAs deer hunting and my feet got a little cold while in a blind, ran home got my baffin’s and Cold feet were not an issue. I only use my baffins ice fishing because I have never had an issue with my feet getting cold and never had an issue with water getting in them.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:57 AM »
Cabelas’ lifetime guarantee is hard to beat. Just sayin’.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:58 AM »
my cabelas ta boots leak water from the top thru the nylon tongue while drilling holes. i keep spraying different water proof products on them, but nothing stops it. takes a long time like the next day to notice the water, but now i dry them at end of day.

i called cabelas and wanted them to take care of it being they claim to be water "proof" and they wanted a receipt. i asked why, they are lifetime warranted. they said for the lifetime of the boot and wanted to know how old they were. i hung up and won't buy any more footwear from them.

because they still leak, i am looking for replacements and finding it difficult to find some that are for me that will perform how i expect them to perform. the 30% off at shoes.com and shoemall.com is enticing to buy new boots. it's just hard to do. you have to read reviews to figure out what problems the boots you think might work for you and then find some thing better because of the bad reviews on the ones you had picked out. the reviews are not on those sites so you have to bounce around to try to find the information on them. i do know when buying pac boots you have to buy 2 sizes too big and that makes for a huge boot to deal with. this can be a good thing on top of snow tho.

Offline Brozy21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:30 AM »
I've had my TAs for 3 years and have never had cold feet or any leakage.  I wear nothing but regular carhartt socks.  The souls are thick and the boots are warm, but are still breathable and not overly hot when in the shack with the heater on.  I use mine for ice fishing only and put metal screws directly into the soul and has worked well.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:16 AM »
I've had my TAs for 3 years and have never had cold feet or any leakage.  I wear nothing but regular carhartt socks.  The souls are thick and the boots are warm, but are still breathable and not overly hot when in the shack with the heater on.  I use mine for ice fishing only and put metal screws directly into the soul and has worked well.
x2, but I wear a heavy Cabela’s sock.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2018, 12:26 PM »
If you're worried about leakage with the TA's, step up to the Saskatchewan, they're Gore-Tex.

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Thanks all for the replies! Looks like my wife went out and got me some Cabelas TAs as an early Christmas gift. Now just to get the sizing right. Size 11s in store were tight around the top of the foot but felt right length wise, would only be able to wear a really light sock with them for them to fit right. Size 12 felt good as far as the top of my feet, but felt big length wise until I put on a thin sock with a medium weight wool sock over it. Does the liner break in at all? If so I might go back and exchange the 12s for 11s. Will wearing two socks with these boots be too warm? (is that even possible? haha) Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.