Author Topic: Size/type of hand auger  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Size/type of hand auger
« on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:18 AM »
My only auger right now is a hand-me-down that I believe to be a mora. It is a 6" and the blades are pretty beat up that I am sure it is worth replacing rather than sharpening. The handle is also cracked but still manages.

I am fishing in Montana, mostly for trout but I do end up in some perch/walleye waters occasionally and wouldn't mind chasing ling sometime. The ice I fish typically has some white ice on top with a fair amount of black ice underneath. I do not hole hop a ton and typically drill between 3-8 holes per day.

I am not in a financial place to be buying a drill, electric, or gas auger and I will say the nils hand auger falls into those price ranges.
I am looking at getting a new hand auger and before I make a purchase based on online reviews, I would love the input of the IS community. I have looked at the eskimo hand auger but don't know how worth it it might be to get something like the nero mini or the polar fire deluxe for the offset handles. I also haven't used many different style blades to know what makes the biggest difference especially with a mix of white and black ice. I am thinking 6" due to hand drilling and not wanting to put in the extra muscle for the 7" or 8" but fearful that a 5" might keep a trophy fish under the ice one day.

My question is, what brand for a budget and what size would you recommend given these conditions? Thanks.

It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline MAfisher57

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Size/type of hand auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Personally I have a Nils, but I have used both the StrikeMaster Mora and Lazer augers and they performed great through a foot of ice. Both reasonably priced as well. Gander outdoors has a sale going on as well, can get 30% off. I believe the Lazer is 100$ and the Mora is 50$. Take 30% off that and you have a good auger at a great price. Best of luck!

Online bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:28 AM »
6" Nils.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:29 AM »
try sharpening what you have. otherwise not having a lot of funds, the next step is to replace them. after that replacing the auger is next.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309016.0
i only use strikemaster and i only use a drill anymore. the ht mini nero looks like a great unit and would be a good choice for you based off of seeing them in person and videos and reviews on here. the blades are cheap to replace.
https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/product/details?pdesc=MORA-Blue-Replacement-Blades-6&i=280757
code for the 30% off is CC8883 at go. 27$

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Go on ebay and get a set of new old stock blades for cheap. Problem solved. What is cracked on the handle? Can a machine shop fix it with a quick weld?

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:46 AM »
 I have an 8" Mora that I bought back in the 80's. It does have the off-set handle design. The plastic "wing" portion of the wing nut broke years ago - not really an issue for me since I don't fold it up anyway. I have several sets of replacement blades(anybody need a set LOL). Every year before the season I send 1 set out to be sharpened then send another set out mid season(If we have a season - only been a couple of weeks lately). Sharp blades are key. Works great .... in fact 2 buddies bought Lazers when they came out(stupid palm handle) and if they go with me my Mora gets used.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:53 AM »
get new blades.  i know guys who hand auger through 10+ with older mora 6" augers with good blades and have no issue.   

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2018, 01:54 PM »
I like my Strikemaster Lazer 5". It's so much easier than the 7" Mora that I had. I fish mostly for panfish but have thought that if to do over again I would buy a 6".

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:09 PM »

Noon , I drilled loads of holes with a 6” mora with offset handles for a long time , I was in your shoes so my suggestion is try and sharpen them and buy a new set until you can afford to buy What you would like, JM .02

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Noon , I drilled loads of holes with a 6” mora with offset handles for a long time , I was in your shoes so my suggestion is try and sharpen them and buy a new set until you can afford to buy What you would like, JM .02

I do not have offset handles. Do you think it makes that much of a difference?

I also think these blades were beyond sharpening when I got the auger. So it is likely going to be buying new blades for the amount of grinding and sharpening that would be required to get it back to clean cutting condition. From what I can find, new blades are 25$ but a new auger is 40$. I am hoping soon enough this master's degree starts paying itself off and then I can buy all the ice toys I stare at in the stores like a little kid in a candy store :P
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:40 PM »
I have a 6" blazer...had 6" Mora & gave to nephew....blazer cuts much easier by hand but my buddy has a 6" Mora and cuts as easy as me but much younger arms....I now added a clam plate and electric drill to lazer and what a breeze.
I would get new blades or better $40 new Mora then as funds get better buy a drill and clam plate....my humble opinion.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Before you decide to spring for a new auger, check to see if the handle can be easily repaired and check to see if the blades can be removed and sharpened. If not, then check to see if replacement blades are available.

If this all fails, then you should decide which size and brand auger you want to go with.

Myself, I have 3 augers. My first auger was an Eskimo 8" hand auger. My next was an Eskimo 10" gas auger. My last was a BassPro 6" hand auger. For the record, I haven't used the gas auger in over 4 years, mainly because of it's weight.

2 things to keep in mind if you go with a hand auger...
First, keep/maintain sharp blades. Trust us, it makes all the difference in the world.
Second, try to get a jump start on your auger-cranking muscles so that you won't kill yourself the first day.

Sorry I couldn't give a definitive suggestion, but augers, like clothes, are a personal choice!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:54 PM »
You can get the 6" Mini Nero with out the drill adapter pretty cheap. They drill very good with little effort.
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:01 PM »
If the OP post pics of the blades we might be able to help him on if they could be resharpened. I've sent blades in and had them resharpened like new for $15.

On another note, if the bottom of the blade has been touched they are junk.

Heck, now that I think of it.....I've got that auger blade sharpener I ordered. If the OP PM's me and sends the blades, I'll try to sharpen them for him with the kit I got coming for free.

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Spend $80-100 and buy a Strikemaster Lazer. Doesn't get much better than these for the price. I have 2 Lazers and a Nils and for the money the lazer is the better deal. They cut like butter, not like the Nils but still very good.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:00 PM »
If you have offset handles & it is a mora , all you need is new blades . I have a 7" mora offset handles & also top handle broke, plastic part. All I did was replace it with a piece of PVC conduit. Blades are 25-30 bucks you might get 2 seasons out of them maybe more , based on how much your fishing.i have had mine since mid 80's , they are great augers , that offset Handel is the key. You have a great auger

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:51 AM »
Another vote for new blades.  It makes all the difference.  I'd take new Swedish (Mora) blades on a rusty old auger before a shiny new auger with Chinese blades.       If it was capable of making a hole with junk blades it will burn through the ice with new ones.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:10 AM »
Get new blade is my vote as well. If you can find an offset handle it makes a huge difference, for me at least. There is a lazer version with offsets as well if you have to have a new auger.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find/buy an offset handle? I have tried searching for them and come up clean. Only way I can see to get an offset handle is buy a new auger with one.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Facebook market place I see them a lot , cheap too

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find/buy an offset handle? I have tried searching for them and come up clean. Only way I can see to get an offset handle is buy a new auger with one.

That might be the cheapest way. I seen a post on here a year or so ago. A guy made a metal pole he put in a lazer then attached the nils handle to it. Good luck getting a nils handle though.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2018, 12:08 AM »

An offset handle will only make a marginal difference.  New blades will make a huge difference.  A 6" is really not that hard to turn with one hand.  If you wanted to buy an auger - then yeah, I'd say get an offset handle.  Since you already have one and are budget conscious - get new blades and be done with it.   

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:23 AM »
 Know an electrician ?  Might take him a couple of attempts but he should be able to bend one out of EMT conduit. You'll have to figure out how to pt "handles" on it and how to join the two pieces together though.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:49 AM »
I've had a 7" Mora and use it primarily. I have a power auger for when the ice gets thick, but up to 18" or so I use the Mora.

I have one set of spare blades that I trade in for sharp ones at my local tackle shop. A new set costs about $30 here. Blade swap costs $15. Sharp blades make a huge difference. I have seen rusty old Moras that look like they were digging post holes in a salt flat before taking a trip under the wheels of a semi, but they still eat ice with new blades.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Offset Handel new blades your set

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.