Author Topic: Buddy vs Big Buddy  (Read 1469 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Buddy vs Big Buddy
« on: Dec 23, 2018, 03:23 PM »
Curious if there would be a benefit for me to get a big buddy instead of a buddy?  I am usually fishing in a thermal one man
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Buddy vs Big Buddy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2018, 03:26 PM »
I use the little buddy and portable buddy heater in my 1 man flips and hubs.the largest model buddy heater is a propane sucker that does better with large propane tanks.jmo

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2018, 03:28 PM »
I use the little buddy and portable buddy heater in my 1 man flips and hubs.the largest model buddy heater is a propane sucker that does better with large propane tanks.jmo

Absolutely NO need for a Big Buddy in a 1 man anything. I use the little buddy in my 1 man and have the portable buddy in my 3 man. The Big Buddy is reserved for a LARGE Clam Spearfisher hub.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2018, 03:33 PM »
The buddy heater (regular size) will give off enough heat to keep your one man house plenty warm. I think you find the big buddy heater will take up to much room.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2018, 03:42 PM »
Anything larger than the portable buddy in a an insulated one-man would be overkill imho.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2018, 03:52 PM »
My Portable Buddy is perfect for my Quick Fish 3. I wouldn't want anything bigger.  The Portable Buddy didn't put out quite enough heat in a Quick Fish 6. So for something like a 6 person hub or larger, I would get the Big Buddy.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2018, 05:09 PM »
Curious if there would be a benefit for me to get a big buddy instead of a buddy?  I am usually fishing in a thermal one man

If you will only be using it in a one man the buddy should work great. I got the big buddy because I can use it in my shack, my flipover, in my big shed when doing big game. Having adjustable heat you can use it most anywhere unless you have a very small space, you can cook on it and if it gets to warm just turn it down or turn it off for a few minutes if need be.

Offline gvoelkl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2018, 05:36 PM »
I have both. I take the little buddy fishing; I use the big buddy in my garage or to heat home when power is out. He big buddy is heavier, burns more propane, requires batteries to run the fan.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2018, 05:54 PM »
I have a buddy in a two man clam, we shed our jackets and have to turn the heater off every so often or we get heated out.  I use a Big Buddy in a Cabelas Alaknak outfitter tent that is 12x12', works better than a woodstove.   It is plenty for that, total overkill for any shanty.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2018, 06:50 PM »
I run a regular buddy heater in my Otter XTH Resort hub and it does a good enough job.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2018, 09:51 PM »
I have the portable buddy in my thermal one man flip, I mounted in the back on the side of tub. I was out yesterday and had to turn it on and off it was cooking me out.

Not sure why but it was throwing out a pretty good smell, not sure why yet still trying to figure that out. I was running on a 1Lb bottle.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2018, 10:02 PM »
Anything larger than the portable buddy in a an insulated one-man would be overkill imho.

DN

Why's is it over kill you got a low setting on the big buddy heater same outpUT as a little buddy heater on its high and a buddy heater on low setting  plus you got med and high output incase you got extra heating to do?

But to use a torpedo propane heater good for 30,000 to 60,000 btus that would be way over kill like a Indian sweat lodge..

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Heck i use my buddy heater in my bedroom  in the fall when i don't feel like turning the furnace on. Warms up nicely.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Does the hunting buddy just have a fan or what?

Dont think the Hunting Buddy has a fan ...but higher BTUs use the web site and compare all the models ... their is a version of the hunting buddy with a fan ..not sure if readily   available retail though

http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/limited-edition-red-hunting-buddy-with-fan.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2018, 10:39 AM »
I have a Eskimo Wide One and I started with a Little Buddy found it to be too warm.So I bought a Portable Buddy which I can turn on and off easier. I wish Mr Heater would make a heater that would be like 2000BTU to 3000BTU in the same format as the portable buddy.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:07 AM »
Try using a Coleman lantern as a heat source. I use my Northstar in my older Clam pro.

Offline Papa Buzzardwizzle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:27 AM »
iv got the buddy and i olny use it when the wife plans to tag along and crappie fish all night . i run it with a 20 lb tank  outside and a 10ft hose. its turned off more than its on . that thing will bake you even on low .  i have a frabill thermal 2 man. when im alone a lantern does just fine

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2018, 03:02 PM »
I have a Eskimo Wide One and I started with a Little Buddy found it to be too warm.So I bought a Portable Buddy which I can turn on and off easier. I wish Mr Heater would make a heater that would be like 2000BTU to 3000BTU in the same format as the portable buddy.

Colemen makes a black cat heater that does just this I have the colemen sport cat heater only goes up to 1500 btus good enough for mine since it's only like 11 sqft plus minus in me from the inside so the space shrinks up a lot.. try finding a black heatee on ebay might be worth finding one??  I think they been recalled nor sure just a heads up?? Cause they got no tip over or oxygen depletion saftey ods for short .. is why they recalled them??  Not sure though why mine works awesome I even just threw my focus 5 away.. cause the threads ware you screw the tank in striped out..  but no biggie there was a recall on that one too.. any how search around see what you can find is all I can say..

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2018, 04:28 PM »
In my one man I like the little buddy because the head will be above my vex
Bob P.

Offline sns2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:37 PM »
Has anyone ever regretted the ability to stay warm?  What if you end up with a new tent?  Big buddy all the way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.