Author Topic: Crimping fluorocarbon  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Crimping fluorocarbon
« on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:15 PM »
On my pike tip ups, my mainline is 30# dacron, followed by 30# fluoro, followed by 6" red wire, followed by the hook of choice.

I've yet to have fluoro break on me, or come untied.  Just never have liked tying knots with it.  It's that gut feeling that the knot, no matter how well it's tied, is going to slip with the large diameter stuff.  Paranoid I guess, but there's gotta be a "better" way.  On my wire leaders, I use the red coated wire, so I make a loop, twist the ends, and melt the twists together.  No crimps, no knots, and it holds great!  Can't exactly melt fluoro like that though.

Anyone ever used crimps on Seaguar fluoro, and if so, how did ya like it?  Even if you used crimps on line heavier than 30#, what was your experience with it?  I'm not opposed to switching to heavier fluoro. 

I guess after three or four years of doing it this way, you'd think I'd get comfortable with the knots I'm using.  They've never failed me, but what if...
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: Crimping fluorocarbon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:17 PM »
I crimp 60# Fluoro for my pike leaders.  I’ve never had one break off or had the crimp fail.  Plenty of YT videos on how to make proper crimps, mostly on saltwater setups.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Mind if I ask what crimps and crimpers you use?  I'd like to try this.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:29 PM »

I pulled out my latest gear --- 60# fluoro with 0.8mm crimps.
I don't know what kind of crimper it is -- I just bought it at a tackle shop, I think any will do.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:31 PM »
PERFECT!!! Thanks a million.  eBay here I come.....

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:39 PM »
No problem --- there are plenty of guys that will say 60# isn't nearly enough for pike or musky, but that's just my personal preference.  You could go to 80# or 100# fluoro if you want.  Just up-size the crimping sleeves to match.  And of course plenty will say just stick with wire, and pike really don't care about the leaders.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline paguy15545

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:40 PM »
you can use Titanium Single Strand Leader and use a  Clinch Knot or  Albright Knot.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Yeah I've thought about the knot 2 kinky leader material.  But I still want to use fluoro to get away from the dacron main line.  Might try that knot 2 kinky stuff after the fluoro section though.  I bet 60# fluor followed by a short section of k2k would be awesome!  Think I'll try it.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Just curious, why wouldn't you just go knot 2 kinky straight to the dacron?  Or other wire leader, then?  You can use a swivel or easy snap at the end of the dacron, and change out leaders as needed.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Piltzviller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cruising through life one ice hole at a time...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2018, 10:04 PM »
I've used it on 50 lbs. Berkley flouro and attach it right to the hook. Crimping worked and held tight. But in my opinion it make it look bulky, so I went back to using a knot.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2018, 10:48 PM »
Just curious, why wouldn't you just go knot 2 kinky straight to the dacron?  Or other wire leader, then?  You can use a swivel or easy snap at the end of the dacron, and change out leaders as needed.

Because I don't like to run my dacron all the way down to the hook, or that close anyway.  I will be using a snap swivel at the end of the dacron to change out fluoro leaders as needed, like you stated.  That K2K stuff is thin for sure, but I kinda like the invisible quality of fluorocarbon as a separation between dacron and hook.  Just a personal preference I guess. I like to use 6'+ sections of flouro, then my current wire leader of about 6" long, then my hook.  I think I will use that K2K stuff, and might try 12" sections of it before the hook.  6" of that red wire sure works well though.  K2K is a LOT thinner that what I use now, for sure.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2018, 11:14 PM »

I had to read through this a couple times to get where he was at. I think he just wants something clear as a line before the leader. Don't know that it makes a difference but it can't hurt. Thing is 6" of wire (or knot2kinky or whatever) isn't much insurance. Once they get up over that business end it's still just fluoro.

Because the wire I use is so much thinner than the Dacron mainline I've sometimes made my leaders 24" so I get the concept. I going to think about this. Don't know that I'll do it but I'll think about it and see where it fits.

Back to business - Knots in 30# aren't that hard to tie. What knot are you using? I could see a Palomar getting a little bulky. I use Uni knots quite a bit. In fact a Uni to Uni connection for the Dacron/fluoro would work great and be just about fail-proof. I'm still trying to envision the fluoro/wire connection. I crimp 50# and up, knots start to get much more difficult, finished length is hard to control and then you have you have to use a bunch extra you just cut off and throw away just to tie the knot. BAbassman is correct, proper tools and crimps ensure good results. For plastic line I prefer aluminum crimps with copper coming in second. Steer clear of steel crimps, they'll wear the material and premature failure will result. Here's where I learned about crimping: All about crimping.

See what he said? I take too long to type (as in talk too much)  ::).
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2018, 12:31 AM »
Been using cinch knot and uni to uni.  Like I said, knots have never failed me.  I just wanna try something different and see how it does. 

You're correct in that I want a clear section between my main line and the wire.  I've never had a bite off using the red wire I currently use.  I only use a 6" section, and it has worked.  With the knot 2 kinky stuff, I'd probably experiment with a little longer section.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:03 AM »
Hi Raptor... Knot-2-Kinky is tricky stuff to crimp or tie. You need to double it back through the crimp before you cinch it down or it will slip. Nate has the perfect setup with the

double barrel crimps and a proper swager to form the crimp so it doesn't nick the fluoro. Like he says, the saltwater boys are the masters at this craft.

Personally, I believe I'll be going back somewhat old school this year, inspired by esox. Seven strand uncoated and twisted on. I like a yoke style quickstrike about 9" long with a

pair of #6 Owner or Trokar trebles. Those things are so sharp they can injure you just looking at them online.

Have a great season.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:54 AM »
On my pike tip ups, my mainline is 30# dacron, followed by 30# fluoro, followed by 6" red wire, followed by the hook of choice.

I've yet to have fluoro break on me, or come untied.  Just never have liked tying knots with it.  It's that gut feeling that the knot, no matter how well it's tied, is going to slip with the large diameter stuff.  Paranoid I guess, but there's gotta be a "better" way.  On my wire leaders, I use the red coated wire, so I make a loop, twist the ends, and melt the twists together.  No crimps, no knots, and it holds great!  Can't exactly melt fluoro like that though.

Anyone ever used crimps on Seaguar fluoro, and if so, how did ya like it?  Even if you used crimps on line heavier than 30#, what was your experience with it?  I'm not opposed to switching to heavier fluoro.  I use 30# dacron to a spro ball bearing swivel, tied. Leaded is 60# fluorocarbon for pike, quality barrel swivel on one end, 3/0 to 5/0 Octopus hook on the other with a perch Colorado blade and some beads. I hook up so much more often with flouro than wire!

I guess after three or four years of doing it this way, you'd think I'd get comfortable with the knots I'm using.  They've never failed me, but what if...
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:56 AM »
Sorry I always crimp my leaders, even 30# for bass

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:35 AM »
I've tied many 40lb floro knots, works fine. It's easier if you use a vice and pliers.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:45 AM »
I've tied many 40lb floro knots, works fine. It's easier if you use a vice and pliers.

And a little KY... Seriously.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:25 AM »
Which knot(s) do you prefer with the 40# fluoro?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Which knot(s) do you prefer with the 40# fluoro?

Regular clinch knot.  Like esox said, lube it. I just slobber on it, I'm afraid to use actual lube-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:27 PM »
I have landed 130 lb+ Bluefin tuna with a knot tied with 60lb Floro with no trouble... I use Crimps when I am shark fishing and using 200lb floro or mono...

Nothing wrong with using a crimp, but for me, I don't see the need for little fish like pike...

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Got some crimps and crimp pliers coming.  Anxious to see how this works.  Never hurts to learn something new.  My knots have always held up, but I'm gonna give this a shot.  I expect a learning curve, but I'm looking forward to it.  Increased to 60# fluoro, so that will be new to work with as well. 

I usually don't fish just to fish.  I like to try new things.  I should learn SOMETHING this season!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:06 PM »
make sure to take a lighter and melt the tag end of 60# before you pull tight. Then crimp and you will love it. Never broke off from a bad crimp if you are using the right crimps for mono or floro.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:57 PM »
make sure to take a lighter and melt the tag end of 60# before you pull tight. Then crimp and you will love it. Never broke off from a bad crimp if you are using the right crimps for mono or floro.

Thanks for this tip!!

I take it you do not use wire at the end of your fluoro then?

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2018, 11:08 PM »
used to use wire but started crimping 60# flouro and will never go back. We go to NY every year pike fishing and my friends swore by wire but I get at least 2x more flags and have yet to lose a fish. I did and experiment, same exact set-up except wire on 1/2 the tipups and flouro on the other 1/2 one day up there...wasn't even close as far  as flags go. Perch Colorado blade, couple beads, on a 2 foot 60# flouro leader= the best producer.
 My biggest pike was 25 years ago on 8LB mono with a medium shiner fishing for bass.....DONT NEED STEEL ANYMORE!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2018, 11:20 PM »
used to use wire but started crimping 60# flouro and will never go back. We go to NY every year pike fishing and my friends swore by wire but I get at least 2x more flags and have yet to lose a fish. I did and experiment, same exact set-up except wire on 1/2 the tipups and flouro on the other 1/2 one day up there...wasn't even close as far  as flags go. Perch Colorado blade, couple beads, on a 2 foot 60# flouro leader= the best producer.
 My biggest pike was 25 years ago on 8LB mono with a medium shiner fishing for bass.....DONT NEED STEEL ANYMORE!

Ok!  I'm gonna try it then.  No steel.  See how long I can go before losing one.  I'll crimp 60# fluoro on day one, and see what happens!  What hook we're you using with this setup??

This is gonna be fun!!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:34 AM »
I use a Octopus 3/0 to 5/0 depending on size of bait and what I am fishing for. I like to find fluorescent green, red, and orange hooks on the internet. I do not use circle hooks, lose way to many fish. Many people use treble hooks or quick strike rigs but so far I have not found the need for them.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Regular clinch knot.

Works for me too. Going into 3rd season with same 50# flouro leader.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:44 AM »
Works for me too. Going into 3rd season with same 50# flouro leader.

3rd season with the same leader? Sounds like you need to get on some fish missoula...  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: (jk)

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Thanks Sly.  I won't be using any beads or blades as we have to use dead bait here.  Can't use anything live.  Don't think the blades will be moving much...

But otherwise, I'll get some red octopus hooks and try them. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.