Author Topic: Otter Lodge or Resort / Buy Now or Wait?  (Read 585 times)

Offline Zeigs

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter Lodge or Resort / Buy Now or Wait?
« on: Jan 29, 2017, 01:38 AM »
Guys- couple questions for those with experience with the Otter Lodge and/or the Otter Resort and when to buy:

1) I have two boys (ages 13 & 10).  I want to buy an Otter that all 3 of us can fish out of. Is there enough room in the Lodge or should I go right to the Resort? Lord knows they aren't gonna to get any smaller......I know the Resort is heavy, but the boys can help with that.....   ;D

2) Would you guys recommend buying an ice shelter toward the end of this season and look for a bargain or would you wait until next season to get the newest model Otter?  Just wondering if you can find good deals that would make it worth waiting at the end of the year.  I'm hoping they put the doors on the sides next year like Frabill did. Thanks much in advance.....

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otter Lodge or Resort / Buy Now or Wait?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:04 AM »
I would buy at the end of the season for the best deal. They just did a big update this year with the gray tubs and rear door and the tent trim strip. Not much more they can do to improve them, but knowing Otter they will think of something. Timing is everything when it comes to finding a deal. Also if there are any problems you will have all summer to get it resolved. They are much easier to put together when it's warm out.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:43 AM »
Zeigs I have no experience with Otter's line of shelters,but agree with Dan J . Whatever you buy think about making a Smitty sled to make pulling the shelter easier. Otter's products are among the heavier shelters the tub/sled portion is molded with thick walls and bottom. Good for durability but increases weight.
Steve

Offline omartruck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:50 AM »
 Wish it was easier to put pics on here , i have a one man otter n put skies under it with a 5/4 wood between them works great , i would start looking know an watch the internet to get a good ceal

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 01:12 PM »
I have a Lodge and we have fished 3, but it's cramped.  Get the Resort if you'll regularly be fishing 3 inside.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline FarNorth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2017, 01:28 PM »
The lodge will fit 3 seats plus the sportsmans caddy but you lose the ability to swivel the seats. It might be tight if you are all bigger people.
The resort will give you more room and comes with three seats to start but you lose the caddy which is really nice to have.  I wish Otter made the resort with the same seating system as the smaller shelters.

Best of luck with your decision.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.