Author Topic: manawa ice derby  (Read 1841 times)

Offline mccauley20

• IceShanty Rookie
manawa ice derby
« on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:33 PM »
new to the site and have to say just reading the forums i have got a lot of useful info for the lakes here in town (omaha) but i was wondering if anybody was hitting the manawa derby this sat.? And i was wondering if anybody really knows much about the lake other than its really shallow?

Offline Outdoor_Joe_26

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: manawa ice derby
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:16 PM »
new to the site and have to say just reading the forums i have got a lot of useful info for the lakes here in town (omaha) but i was wondering if anybody was hitting the manawa derby this sat.? And i was wondering if anybody really knows much about the lake other than its really shallow?

I've kicked the idea around for the past three weeks.  I've gone three years to the event, and it's fun, there are alot of people (I think there were 1000 last year).  However in the three years I have gone I haven't had a bite nor won a door prize.  I have fished in the three main clusters of hut villages and still nothing.  I don't know alot about the lake, I have mapped it and fished it in the spring and summer, and never really produced anything to write home about.  I probably wont' go this year just because I'd rather stay around here and actually catch some fish.  But the weather will be nice and the people will be nice.  The DNR report says they are catching 10-12" crappie but of course it doesn't say where!
God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!<br /><br />[IMG]

Offline mccauley20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:22 PM »
I was out there today and talked to a guy who said that last week he was catchin 2-8 # cats and got into a few 14-18 inch eyes off the swim beach and he got into some crappies in the morning but the the bite slowed way down . I fished it last year also had a little luck but not much to speak about and also no door prize but for ten bucks its five hours of fun

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:45 AM »
I will be there.  All the fish i catch are early, imagine the dangling lures/jigs become less attractive after a while to some of those fish.  As for fishing the beach, get there about 3am, catch em, then put them in your bucket until the contest starts if you want to have a chance.  I can almost guarantee thats what too many people do >:( >:(.  Have fished in the crowds, off by myself, etc.  I am mainly going to defy the odds of never winning one of the 500 door prizes give to the 600 entrants. 

Just hoping to get lucky!!!!!

Offline mccauley20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:36 PM »
I was out there today from 7-1 and caught a few dinks but already alot of people setin huts for tomorrow small village by the beach and thin ice in the middle  north of boat ramp all the way across the lake and a guy on a buggy went through the ice they managed to save it

Offline waterloofisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Fished the derby last year, caught one eye and one crappie, none big enough to be winners.  Was on edge of group by the beach, seemed like the fish were only hitting right away in morning, then shut-off or spooked by the thousands of augers goin at once above them. Stuck around for the drawn out raffle/prize presentation and watched everyone win something but me!  But I'm going back this year, was actually really fun.  Bringing a group of friends, grill, chili, and plenty of beer.  Should be a great time.  Hope the fish actually participate this year...

Offline Outdoor_Joe_26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2009, 04:52 PM »
Well how did everybody do out there? 
God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!<br /><br />[IMG]

Offline fatjackedd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • DOINK!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Adammd is famous! he made the channel 7 news....

Offline mccauley20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2009, 03:19 PM »
 Well......... I don't think i will do the tournament next year we were out there at 5:30 got a good spot by the min city around the beach but the fish only bit for a few min. we went to check a crappie in about 7:10 and there were already guys with 11 and 12 inchers up there . I wonder how many of the people around the beach area were fishin all night and holdin fish till the start of the competition????   AND whats up with the length of time it takes to draw names for the door prizes?

Offline magnusthebigbrownlab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:34 PM »
Jesus, Adam...you'd think that maybe you'd run a comb through that do before getting interviewed.  What a goon.

http://www.ketv.com/video/18613309/index.html
Be professional.  Be polite.  But always have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2009, 09:16 AM »
At least he's got some hair :afro:, I can't say that anymore :'( Goon or no goon, good to see you made the news Adam.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:16 PM »
Jesus, Adam...you'd think that maybe you'd run a comb through that do before getting interviewed.  What a goon.

http://www.ketv.com/video/18613309/index.html

Hey, I put the beer can down, i thought that was enough. 

Seriously though, it was still dark, the camera guy was about 2 ft away with the 10,000,000,000,000 candlewatt light right in my face.  I couldn't even really see the guy asking the questions, then was virtually blind trying to find my friends after they were done with me. 

On a side note, a buddy of mine caught a nice bass there.  Good to see that they have a drum category but not a bass category, what the F is that about. 

My hair??? Looked good to me.  I let the ladies at SuperCuts know you will not be in for the Adam anytime soon. 

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:58 PM »

My hair??? Looked good to me.  I let the ladies at SuperCuts know you will not be in for the Adam anytime soon. 

lmao :laugh:

Offline magnusthebigbrownlab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2009, 11:01 PM »
Speaking of beer cans...you'll have to ask Kyle (phishful) to send you the photo we got on Sunday.  All kinds of negative reinforcement for the youth of America.
Be professional.  Be polite.  But always have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.