The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: jiffy auger fuel mixture  (Read 9002 times)

loche

jiffy auger fuel mixture
« on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:22 AM »
I recently bought a jiffy 2hp and was surprised to find that it calls for a 24:1 fuel/oil ratio. This seems to be very rich. A small engine repair guy I spoke to thought this was overkill. He felt the plugs would foul up in no time with such an oil rich mixture not to mention carbon build-up in the carb. I would normally follow the owners manual but he was adamant that this was too much oil. Has anyone experienced problems with the called for mixture? 

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
Re: jiffy auger fuel mixture
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:32 AM »
Follow your owners manual.  If your auger is new, then it is specially important that you follow it.  I have used 24:1 for years in my Jiffy 30, , and yes, it is smoky, and spits exhaust oil, and generally pretty messy, but that is what Tecumseh - the motor maker recommends.  Next year, after you've run a couple gallons through it, you can consider
using a synthetic such as Amsoil or Opti-2 at 100:1.  Just get your auger broken in properly first!
     Check out the great tips under Equipment - Ice Augers below.  Lots more good ideas.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:49 AM »
I would not reccomend changing the mixture. I fished with my father for many years and still do. I am 24 years old this coming march. When I was little, he had an old "wrist breaker" Jiffy. He sold that and bought a model 30.  He still has that and it runs like a champ. I just bought a jiffy because of the dependibility and reliability of the many years that jiffy has given us.

Do yourself a favor................I f it ain't borke, don't fix it!  Jiffy has always been 24:1 and just ask how many people run them!

Ever think that the guy that told you 24:1 is too much could be telling you this so he can just fix your auger when you BLOW IT UP?

Offline DeadStick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish IT ALL NIGHT LONG!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:56 AM »
24:1...is fine for something that will idle for a few then run WFO for the rest of the time.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2004, 06:45 PM »
Use the 24 to 1 mix. Iv'e used my jiffy 30 for over 25 years with that
mixture and my auger is still going strong. Just be sure and change
the plug every year.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2004, 07:09 PM »
ive used 24 to 1 in my jiffy ever since ive owned it still using the same plug goin on 4 seasons  .

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2004, 04:52 AM »
If it aint broke, dont fix it. And if it aint broken in, dont fix it either! ::)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.