Author Topic: I never thought I would say this....  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
I never thought I would say this....
« on: Jan 08, 2012, 11:57 PM »
.....but I think I really, really enjoy hand lining!!! :o

When the panfish bite is tough, as it was this afternoon, the first thing I do is pull out my Marmish rods. The added control I get with the shorter rod and the ultra sensitive indicators are the ticket for me. When I am trying to get a size 14 jig to "vibrate" an inch off the bottom, these rods are my choice. As always, I set the hook, drop the rod on the ice, and jerk them up by hand. This was not always my idea of a good time. The line gets tangled, snags on my junk, and freezes to the ice. It something I was willing to deal with so I could enjoy the benefits of the the system.

That changed today.... in a big way... Northern pike wanted to eat size 14 tungsten jigs with a single eurolarve.... strange, I know....

The first one was about three pounds. I thought I had a picture worthy crappie on, I was soooooo careful not to horse it with that two pound line. I let it slip through my fingers when it charged, and slowly lifted taking care not to grasp the line too tightly when it tired. After a battle that lasted several minutes, I was pretty disappointed. ::)

The second Northern was closer to five pounds, the battle lasted much longer and I used the drag on the rod to tire the fish before I started hand lining him in. MUCH easier than the whole battle by slippy finger drag.

The THIRD pike caught on a size 14 tungsten jig with a single eurolarve was 37 inches.... not a monster, not really even a big deal. It took at least 15 minutes to get him up the hole though! Oh my! What a BLAST! One slight little mistake with line that light, no leader, and using my fingers for drag, and he would have been gone. It was truly a fair fight! With my summer gear, he would have been winched in, unhooked, and dropped back in the water without a second thought. Hand line with 2lb test, he felt like the fish of a lifetime! ;D

I would never target pike in this way, it was incidental catch and I doubt it will ever happen again. It sure was fun though!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: I never thought I would say this....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 05:29 PM »
My threshold for hand lining is about 40 feet deep, this is when it just becomes too much trouble for me. I was fishing in about 27 feet when this all happened.

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:03 PM »
thats awesome!!! I have a marmish rod and love it. It would be awesome to bring up a northern.

Offline CT-iceguy.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • aka striperboy on CTF
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:07 PM »
sweet! A 37inch pike on a marmish rod is freakin awesome man!!
Christian Genarelli

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:13 PM »
And that's why I will never give up my Schooleys. Hand over hand; line through the fingers is the best feel you can get.

Now...not planning on using them this season; didn't even put new line on them...but it doesn't mean I won't.  ;)2
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2012, 10:24 AM »
I hand line perch and walleye all the time.  Never use a rod on perch and seldom on walleye.
I love to feel the strike.
I some times will even hand jig for lake trout in 100 - 120 feet of water.  Of course the rod is
there to reel in if one were to take the jig.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.