Author Topic: Tricks for staying warm?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline crappieslayer56

• IceShanty Rookie
Tricks for staying warm?
« on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:47 AM »
What are some of the best tricks that works for keeping yourself warm(besides constantly reeling in fish ;))? As long as I don't have any wind blowing up my sleeves or blowing down my neck I'm good. I prefer to wear fleece lined pants instead of long underwear, and I keep hand warmers in my coat pockets to quickly warm up my hands.

Offline Jveri

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tricks for staying warm?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:19 PM »
Bring a pair of extra socks to change into before you hit the ice. I drive 2 hours to my fishing spot and if you feet sweat and your socks get damp it will be tough to keep them warm throughout the day. I also wear a seperate pair of shoes while driving to help counteract this

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:40 PM »
...above all else stay dry.  Good waterproof pants bibs and boots and try to stay off ice. i usually kneel on boat cushion

Offline clhuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:55 PM »
Wipe your hands with a towel after catching fishing, changing bait, etc.  you don't want wet hands going into your warm dry gloves. Keep inside of your gloves dry

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:58 PM »
Wear a VEST as part of your layering system ...if your core is warm your extremities will be too. I also heard of wearing tennis type sweat bands on your wrist and placing heat packs in them ...I swear by the vest but have yet to try the heat packs/sweat bands.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2016, 01:29 PM »
Wear a VEST as part of your layering system ...if your core is warm your extremities will be too. I also heard of wearing tennis type sweat bands on your wrist and placing heat packs in them ...I swear by the vest but have yet to try the heat packs/sweat bands.
X2!!! And the sweat band trick with the heat packs works VERY well ;)
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline icefishmissoula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2016, 01:56 PM »
Toe warmers in the boots have been a game changer for me! Well worth the couple of dollars.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:00 PM »
I use the toe warmers also----work great.  After the first outing with them I place them in a baggy and get one outing out of them

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:23 PM »
To help keep your feet from sweating and getting cold try spraying them with antiperspirant spray. It works like a charm for me.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:28 PM »
I don't put on my bibs, boots, or jacket on until I reach the parking area. For me keeping my feet warm are a must. Last year I bought a pair of the Cabelas Alaskan boots and my feet never got cool. If there is the slightest breeze, I flip my Recon up to the windbreak position. I may carry a small flask with Schnapps or Brandy, but I try to avoid drinking alcohol as it thins the blood. I don't like wearing gloves when fishing, so I keep some Hot Hands in each pocket. I also dress in layers so I can add or subtract as needed.

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:33 PM »
Layering layering layering.  Also realizing quality bibs and jackets are expensive because they work. I made the move from cheapos to a predator suit and I have never been so warm. Quality boots and socks also make a big difference. Also if you fish out of portables adding a floor/rug keeps your feet warmer longer. I use a left over piece of carpeting from my house and it works great.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2016, 09:03 PM »
Tie your boots loosely until you get where you're going that way the excess heat and sweat can escape and you're feet will be warmer.  Slide a hand warmer inside the back of your glove to keep your hands warm.  Don't get sweated up.  Leave your hat off during exerting activites so the excess heat can escape.  Always keep your back to the wind.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:30 PM »
I wear a back brace with a hand warmer pack tucked in over each kidney, or my battery powered vest over a T shirt. It keeps me warm for at least 8 hrs.  ;)

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Keep the heater going in the shanty works best. Also nice to make a pot of coffee to warm up.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2016, 01:51 PM »
I put a toe warmer behind my neck inside my neck warmer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.