Author Topic: Favorite set-ups on your tip-ups  (Read 2924 times)

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Favorite set-ups on your tip-ups
« on: Feb 24, 2009, 02:52 PM »
Just curious what everyone's favorite or most successful set-up on their pike tip-up are?  I have mix, generally all are 18-24" 20lb floro leader. A couple have a flasher blade 12-18" above the bait, I put a red bead 18" above the bait on a couple, and a couple are plain jain with blood trebles on them and a slit shot 12" above bait.  Haven't figured out if one is better than the other.  Anyone had success any one way or the other?
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline Teeder Pole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • St. Lawrence Pike Puller
Re: Favorite set-ups on your tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Here's what works for me...

I just use the black tipup line, 20-25 lb for ease of handling + less possible cutting of hands. But since the St Lawrence is gin-clear these days, I add a 1/8 oz slip sinker (egg or bullet) then then add a 2' leader of 6/20 power pro, and on the end of that, one of my handmade 12 lb single-strand leaders and a #4 excalibur treble.

If bait is larger (7"+), the single treble will be replaced by an adjustable quickstrike tied with the same wire (Williams Duro-lus wire trolling line) and 2 #6 trebs.

Tight Lines!
Catchin' Pike is What I Like!!!

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Nice, where about you fish on the Lawrence?  I'm originally from Malone and we use to fish the Coles Creek area , haven't iced it for years and always wonders how the water clarity affected the bite.  We hit the river from Morristown to the berg in the summer but mostly just bassin you can sight fish 20' or more most of the time.

Offline Teeder Pole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2009, 11:57 AM »
Hehe Morristown is directly across the river from me, I'm in Leeds/Grenville counties.
the bite has been slow so far, my best this yr. has been about 8 lb or so, but I've been using small smelt deadbait (4" maybe) mostly due to the scarcity of live or dead stuff of sufficient size.

But then again, we all don't live on Knee lake where a 20 is as common as a 2 lb dink...average here is between 3-5 lbs with the odd one over 10 coming into the hole. Gonna hit Johnstown for the annual derby this weekend. Will snap some pics...

Hehe gotta keep the bait alive for 2 more days. Pikebait is at a premium here thanx to new regs, 5-7" commons are now 15 bux/doz and not easy to get. They used to be 5-7 bux/doz, and easy to get.

Just gotta luv the over-regulation of everything that runs rampant these days... Grrrr...

Tight Lines!

Offline Teeder Pole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2009, 12:35 PM »
We arrived approx 1/2+3/4 hr before sunrise. Cold as a witch's teat too, a real "2-flop" day until the sun got high. We wound up with 4 flags, 1 dink, 1 about 4.5, 1 about 5.5, and 1 missed. Biggest fish of derby was a little over 10.

A day or 2 late but here's the pics I promised. Just a 3 shot panorama of the ppl, and 1 of our fish. Can tell it was cold, they're frozen as hard as Louisville Sluggers. Oh yeah, in pic "johnstown1" you can see to the far left a green truck cap, and beside it a black popup just to the left of it with a guy standing beside it. That's us, er my partner, as I was at shore snapping the pics...

Tight lines!

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Nice thanks for the pics.  We are headed up to Saranac this weekend for th colby Classic hopefulyl the pike are in and ready to spawn.

Offline Teeder Pole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2009, 11:13 AM »
Most welcome, may the flags fly frequently for ya... ;-)

Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.