Author Topic: Bantam  (Read 7295 times)

Offline Icyfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bantam
« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Fished Bantam today. Fantastic warm day. Many flags kept us busy in south cove. Lots of perch action jigging and tipup. Even crappie was biting.  Ice was good. Solid and thick ice where we drilled.

Cheers,
IcyFish007

Offline Jmoriartyiv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:20 AM »
Thanks for the update! Was a beautiful day up there. I fished the north side of Point Folly and it seemed quieter up there. Just a couple of perch on tip-ups. Nothing jigging. My first time on the lake. I had 20+ tip-ups in view of where I was and saw very few flags. Hope to be back next weekend and will try the southern end. 

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Planning to go tomorrow am. Fished south cove on Friday and had good action on traps and jigging. Pike & LMB on traps, perch and a small pike jigging. Brought home a dozen nice YP for dinner.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2019, 02:39 PM »
I’ve been fishing up north all winter and thought I might hit Bantam this weekend. Quick question on the regulations. The guide for CT says Bantam is closed to Pike fishing as of March 1st. Would the correct interpretation be if I caught a Pike while targeting Bass it just means I have to release immediately right?  Most other states actually state that in their rules but the CT rules do not...  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2019, 03:41 PM »
you are correct.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 05, 2019, 01:22 PM »
It sucks how we struggle with good ice here in CT these past few years, then I go to central Maine last week and I was about 1 inch away from need an auger extension....

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2019, 01:49 PM »
It sucks how we struggle with good ice here in CT these past few years, then I go to central Maine last week and I was about 1 inch away from need an auger extension....

Driving on and off still in mass 30 mins from CT.  Cant complain.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2019, 02:11 PM »
Driving on and off still in mass 30 mins from CT.  Cant complain.

It's legal to drive in the ice in Mass?
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline MJD3561

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 05, 2019, 03:02 PM »
BUT - you may not want to hang a dead bait on a pair of trebles under a tip up - that would be a bit obvious. Thinking that would be illegal?

you are correct.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2019, 03:06 PM »
BUT - you may not want to hang a dead bait on a pair of trebles under a tip up - that would be a bit obvious. Thinking that would be illegal?

Seems like a grey area.  I've always wondered if catch and release is legal out of season. Like I have heard of guys scouting for blackfish before the season opens and just releasing everything they catch.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2019, 03:08 PM »
How about just leaving them alone for a month to spawn, per intent of the law? Maybe DEEP should just close the lake for all fishing.  Sheeesh!

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2019, 03:12 PM »
The regs say you can't target them. Not catch and release. There is a difference. There is definitely some descresion involved by the DEEP. Just go to another lake and let them spawn.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Mar 05, 2019, 03:17 PM »
It's legal to drive in the ice in Mass?

Of course...I wouldn't post about doing illegal stuff lmao.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:03 PM »
The regs say you can't target them. Not catch and release. There is a difference. There is definitely some descresion involved by the DEEP. Just go to another lake and let them spawn.

Ok so then nobody is fishing Bantam for the remainder of the Ice Season?

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:24 PM »
low ac you got a new sled? nice ..Thanks for the info for fishin up nort with fishoninct and co.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:59 PM »
low ac you got a new sled? nice ..Thanks for the info for fishin up nort with fishoninct and co.

Yes sir and no problem, glad I could help!

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:22 PM »
Ok so then nobody is fishing Bantam for the remainder of the Ice Season?
Reread PikeKing’s reply. You can’t target them, for example fish rigs/baits that specifically target pike, that’s can constitute a violation. If, for example you are fishing a sm -med shiner on a single hook rig targeting bass or panfish and C&R a pike that’s ok. The rule has leeway built in and let common sense dictate.
I fished the north end all day today targeting smallies and YP. Real slow but we did C&R a couple pike as a bycatch. 10” good ice, 2”crust & 6”+ powder.

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:24 PM »
How about just leaving them alone for a month to spawn, per intent of the law? Maybe DEEP should just close the lake for all fishing.  Sheeesh!

Or let the jiggers take out the "invasive and destructive species," that the DEP, now DEEP, decided where overrun in that lake, which were white and yellow perch, and black crappie. The only reason Bantam is a pike fishery at this point is because the state introduced the fish to apparently combat these fish. All I have seen in the past 7 years, and I fish this lake a lot, is bigger panfish and smaller pike. Let us jiggers and light line fishermen take home a few fish for the skillet, and I'm sorry for a lack of trophies that don't come to the internet trophy hunters that spend more time on the ice throwing their beer cans around and leaving their trash.

There is a reason why people are posting on this site about where to park, the towns are fed up with the refuse that people leave (there are 3 of em), not to mention land owners up there. Bantam I feel is a gift given to us by the state, an amazing fishery that can cater to anyone coming up to the NW corner.

And PikeKing, this is posted with no disrespect to you, I've seen some of the pics you have, and by the eye test, you are a hell of a fisherman, I only used your quote because it was a lightning rod to me about the home water that I enjoy, and many of my friends enjoy. Enough of CT lakes get shut down for no reason, except to "stock" trout, which i've seen some of my favorite river stretches become dry. Sorry for spracking.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #48 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:21 AM »
I agree.  This is a great fishery and we are lucky to have it.  I really hope it doesn't get shut down completely.  I was being facetious.  Just trying to make a point to people who want to push the boundaries of the law.  What often happens is that a few rule breakers usually ruin things for the majority that follow them.  Hoping that doesn't happen here.  Remember, the state takes pike eggs from this lake and use them to stock other bodies of water in the state.  DEEP values these resources (as do I), hence the closed season.  I could easily see them closing the whole lake if people don't respect the rules.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:39 AM »
Well I certainly am one that follows the laws which is why I like to not have to interpret something that should be clear... I would love to go there and setup a couple of Bass traps while jigging for Panfish... I’ve heard plenty of stories of people who get fined or even arrested because the laws are open to interpretation. I want nothing more than for our state fisheries to thrive... I appreciate everyone’s valuable input, I think most of us just want to relax and enjoy a great day of fishing.

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:40 AM »
ok, few facts to share with previous posts, bantam is no longer a spawning marsh used by the state. european tench are the only invasive species in the lake. trophy hunters don't leave trash on the ice, ragies leave trash on the ice. the pike population is fine with BIG fish caught every year. march ice is ones best opportunity to see one not january in south bay. time to go fishing.

Offline MJD3561

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Does anyone ever get the tench while ice fishing? I hear there is a huge population in Bantam but never hear of many captures.

ok, few facts to share with previous posts, bantam is no longer a spawning marsh used by the state. european tench are the only invasive species in the lake. trophy hunters don't leave trash on the ice, ragies leave trash on the ice. the pike population is fine with BIG fish caught every year. march ice is ones best opportunity to see one not january in south bay. time to go fishing.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:43 AM »

Like I said, it is a grey area and should be more clear. Unless you have a pike in your possession I don't see how they could fine you, I fish for bass and pike with very close to the same gear besides the leader.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.